IGNORED

Travel around Thailand...

Jackdavid

Heading of to Thailand later this year, and plan on doing several smaller tours rather then one big one. As the smaller tours better suit what cities I want to see and mostly how long I want to be in them. A single night in a place like Bangkok, and other famous cities are just not doing them justice I believe, the smaller tours I have chosen gives me more time in these places.

Now the question how hard is inter-city travel around Thailand especially as I am traveling alone and only speak English. Is bus/train travel easy to use etc? Or am I going to cause myself a big headache?

Bus and train travel are very easy all around the parts of Thailand I have been. (I haven't been to Isaan though).

Ticket sellers are used to falang travellers and buying tickets is easy. You'll be beating them off to help you find your hotel from the train or bus station.

The North-South route between Chang Mai and Bangkok is well-trod (via Sukhothai, Ayyuthaya, Lopburi).

I like the trip from Bangkok up to Sangklaburi via Kanchanaburi. You can take what remains of the Thai-Burma Railway from Bangkok to the River Kwai Bridge.

Trains and buses ply routes right down the peninsula from Bangkok and east to Koh Chang and the Cambodian border.

Grab a Rough Guide or Lonely Planet for tips and transport/hotel info.

Just smile and point and keep saying the name of the town/hotel you want to go to and you can't go wrong.

Is it your first time in Thailand. if it is, just save yourself the hassle, go to pattaya first. You wont want to leave the place so you wont need to worry about buses or trains.

Easy enough even getting buses up into Isaan, just ensure you are getting tickets for the VIP air-con buses

You can also fly to many of the larger cities and for very little money compared with the European equvilent fares. If booked in advance they are not much more than the bus fares. Look at Thai airways, Air Asia and Nok air internet sites for the schedules and the prices.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 3 years later...

The A/C busses are good but if travelling alone the local ones are best as there will be some friendly local girls on them , eventually. Met some very friendly locals this way several times.

Archived