Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Renting cameras in Pattaya

Apex Photographic Studios

We are giving thoughts to getting a few DSLRs in stock as rental units. Just curious as to how many of you guys would entertain the idea hiring DSLRs instead of Traveling with your own.

This could could be a good test bed for people in the market for an upgrade or looking to purchase their first DSLR

The range would be Olympus (which we have already), Canon 5D MK III, 7D, Nikon D800, D5000, etc...

Note to the Mods, If this is in the wrong section,please move to the appropriate section. Thanks

What about lens rentals?

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Yes spanky. That as well. This is the sort of feedback were looking for.

If you would, please leave a list of suggestions for the make of camera you use in this thread.

Thanks

Suggest you talk with Dancewatchers; I rented a decent camera with my condo from them last time and really liked the convenience of not having to haul such a bulky thing half way around the planet.

It seems like a natural fit for you guys to collaborate with some cross-promotion, deals, etc.

My next trip I'd love to be able to experiement with a variety of bodies & lenses.

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

That is an idea. Thank you.

We are discussing at the moment which Bodies and Lenses we would stock if we decide to go forward with the plan.

Cheers,

APEX

I would look at other services and see what they are renting the most of. Obviously Canon and Nikon is going to be your biggest two. You should also consider renting out the hybrid cameras that are point and shoots but look like DSLRs. The quality almost matches and they are pretty idiot proof. I would also consider renters insurance because lets admit it, accidents happen. I forgot to zip my camera bag and my $500 Olympus 45mm 1.8 smashed into marble steps. I got lucky and only cosmetic damage to the body but I about cried. I could image if I rented a L class lens and dropped it and the glass cracked. My holiday ruined because now I have to buy a lens.

I do like the idea of a place renting lenses in Thailand. It would make life much easier than having to buy a new lens or haul one in.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Thanks spanky,

Great feedback from you. All points considered. We are looking into Rental insurance. However, deposits Would be required for obvious reasons, just as it is with many rental shops across the US. The insurers don't want to insure for theft. So we have to protect ourselves in that regard. Damaged items are not a problem, as there is proof of damage.

Consider a Fujifilm x100 or Fujifilm X-Pro 1. I think these would be excellent choices for someone wanting high IQ, but do not want the weight of a traditional DSLR kit.

Thank you Altec. All opinions and suggestions are being taken into consideration. Cheers guys.

Apex

Thanks spanky,

Great feedback from you. All points considered. We are looking into Rental insurance. However, deposits Would be required for obvious reasons, just as it is with many rental shops across the US. The insurers don't want to insure for theft. So we have to protect ourselves in that regard. Damaged items are not a problem, as there is proof of damage.

Great on the insurance. Please order a 300mm 2.8L Canon in for me. I can find a broken on on eBay for less then $100 US. Just don't look closely at the serial number when I return the one I "accidently" dropped. :GoldenSmile1:

Just put it on order,, LOL...

If it were only that easy, LOL

From a lens point of view if you were to go for Canon id suggest a 24-105L and a 70-200L 2,8 IS.

I have both and use these 2 more that any other of my lenes.

Also, Fotofile in MBK in Bangkok often has good second hand versions of both these available if you want to save a little cash.

Testicles

Great idea bro, can see many benefits as camera + equip can be bulky to travel with.

On a slightly different note, if you are looking at extra revenue streams have you considered giving lessons. As you know I bought a D70 but stil use it as a happy snapper. I am not interested in high level tuturial but would be interested in some "basic" and maybe even "intermediate" levels. Pretty sure others would be the same, especially if they can also rent a decent camera BEFORE they consider splashing out on one.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

On a slightly different note, if you are looking at extra revenue streams have you considered giving lessons.

+1

But to clarify, I don't mean pics of flowers and such

I mean you guys provide a cutie model and give a 1-2 hr crash course that covers lighting, lenses, etc. for indoor shoots

Maybe a discount if I provide the model(s)... :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by SmellyFarang

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

From a lens point of view if you were to go for Canon id suggest a 24-105L and a 70-200L 2,8 IS.

I have both and use these 2 more that any other of my lenes.

Also, Fotofile in MBK in Bangkok often has good second hand versions of both these available if you want to save a little cash.

At the moment, we are more than likely going to get a 5D MK 2 with a couple of primes, and mid range zooms. We have complete coverage for Olympus (2 bodies and focal lengths spanning 7mm to 400mm (14-800mm FF)). Then will think about some entry level DSLRs (Canon/Nikon) with a few lenses.

Thanks for the suggestions Shuggy... Enjoy your time in town!

Great idea bro, can see many benefits as camera + equip can be bulky to travel with.

On a slightly different note, if you are looking at extra revenue streams have you considered giving lessons. As you know I bought a D70 but stil use it as a happy snapper. I am not interested in high level tuturial but would be interested in some "basic" and maybe even "intermediate" levels. Pretty sure others would be the same, especially if they can also rent a decent camera BEFORE they consider splashing out on one.

WS,

We have considered this. We have only just removed workshops from our services menu. But we have been contacted regarding a workshop. So starting to put one together for Mid to Late August. Maximum 4 or 5 people.

+1

But to clarify, I don't mean pics of flowers and such

I mean you guys provide a cutie model and give a 1-2 hr crash course that covers lighting, lenses, etc. for indoor shoots

Maybe a discount if I provide the model(s)... :GoldenSmile1:

We are looking at the possibilities as I have mentioned above. However, providing a decent model comes with Cost & You really need to hire a proper model. Especially if you expect them to sit there while we perform lighting techniques and tutorials. Again, there will more than likely be a workshop (beginner) in mid to late August, either in studio or on location, still working that one out.

Apex

• 2 weeks later...

I have one more idea and i think is more interesting. Why dont you organize a photography safari tour?

Find 10-12 differend places-areas inderesting for photography and create a tour for photographers.

And you can make more money with less fears for your gear. And for sure the photographers would be more happy

But you have to find REALLY interesting places for shoots

babydollsaddict.gif

I have one more idea and i think is more interesting. Why dont you organize a photography safari tour?

Find 10-12 differend places-areas inderesting for photography and create a tour for photographers.

And you can make more money with less fears for your gear. And for sure the photographers would be more happy

But you have to find REALLY interesting places for shoots

I believe is better to rent lenses...

The lenses are in consideration as well....

Regarding the Photography tours, after given much thought to that, we decided against it. We are a small company and our main interest and business focus are photographing people. We do thank you for your feedback Mougios!

Our website has just under gone some changes, although not complete with photos yet, but should be completed soon. Here you can find lists of services we are offering.

www.apexphotographicstudios.com

being added to the list of rental gear this week (which is not on the on the site yet, and will not be available for hire until two weeks time) is a 5D MK II and a 85mm L series F/1.2 portrait lens.

Just thinking about renting out cameras and lenses in Thailand gives me a headache ;) I mean...the dust, heat, sweat, and sand at the beach which gets into every possible gap.

But from a customers point of view: yes, why not. To be able to get really nice gear only when it's needed but still travel light to and from the country.

Maki