IGNORED

Curious about this phrase..plse help translate

Madcat

A bar girl said this a few times. I just curious what it means. Sounds like this..

su liao kao lu duek

Sorry if the pronounciation is bad ..

thks.

A bit context or a picture of her would sure help :)

Tough to say....The most common Seu means to sell. Liao is either to turn or means "Already" if it's laaou. Kao depending on tone could be he/she, rice, etc...lu is to know likely. Duek...no idea. This doesn't help much but we have no context to figure this out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I work for the Night Wish group and The Pattaya News in Pattaya, Thailand. I run monthly meetups and bar crawls.. I also run the weekly Newbie Wednesday meetup sessions at Sexy in the City on Soi 6. Sexy in the City is located across from Queen Victoria Inn. 

Suu can be several things, (was she called Sue?) the rest - along the lines of maybe - get old late at night.

i think she said.....thats not my pussy!....and then you reply....thats not my finger...lol

Haha..thanks guys ! Sorry I was too busy getting pissed in Patts to check this thread. jus got back yesterday !

I appreciate the effort to reply , thks!

• 2 weeks later...

i think she said.....thats not my pussy!....and then you reply....thats not my finger...lol

very funny

It's a tough one without knowing the length of the vowels or the tones....

su probably means "to buy"

laao kao is probably "rice wine"

lu is probably "or"

duek could mean "this late"

Context would be handy and I hate phonetics, would rather see the Thai but I would guess that

'su liao' is perhaps brought already and then 'kao lu duek' is maybe they (him or her) know ... <missing word> as in kao reu but how they switch the r and l in Isaan so it's kao lu as we're going on your writing.

With sentence construction not the same as ours I doubt duek is anything other than some kind of word to empthasis that someone knows something already but not one that springs to mind, perhaps it dialect?

Really funny posts, obviously not bounced the idea off a brainy thai girl.

Su leao is basicly "want to buy..?."

Then we are guessing what they have in mind. Kao can be food/drink or you

Basicly its a greeting but the thai language has a funny way of putting things. So they would say do you want to buy something already ( leao) which means 'have you decided' not 'have you finished buying'

I think You are ok with this greeting. You want to stay clear of 'keen-e-ow' which can be anything from 'cheap charlie, stingy bastrd' to 'your taking care of your money'

I have been keeneow for refusing to go in the bar, wanting to finish a drink before getting another, or refusing to buy the girl or her friend a drink or food...........

GL

I think Su Leao is 'buy already' tbh

Oh you'll be kee-neow for anything that doesn't put money in their pocket, dude :D

We can get a little bit of context from the situation. The conversation presumably took place in a bar or bar complex late at night with a BG who originated from the Isaan region plus knowing what the BGs like to drink...

Looking at 'su' (which means 'to fight'), the 'u' looks to be more of an 'eu' or 'myrrh' sound. That would make the first word 'seu' = 'buy'.

The collocation 'lao kao' refers to the cheap (10B a shot) Thai whisky the BGs love so much. It or it's variant 'Yaa Dong' are available from those little wooden booths you see dotted around the bar complexes. It's often accompanied by a bucket of smelly water that the BGs sip through a straw between shots.

The final two words could be 'la der' or 'ละเด้อ' which is from the Lao dialect & roughly translates as 'OK?'

Alternatively the penultimate word could be 'lai' or 'หลาย' which means 'many' or 'a variety of'. The Thai equivalent would be 'mak'. That would leave 'der' or 'เด้อ' which is a polite sentence particle also from the Lao dialect, similar to 'ka / khrap' in Thai.

So in short she was asking you either to buy her a shot of whisky or buy her & her friends lots of whiskey. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif