Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

A polite request to mods

tode1640

Hi People,

I fully understand that in order to keep any forum running smoothly (especially one that touches on sensitive areas such as this) that an editorial hand, and possibly even occasionally a boot, is needed. However, when you guys step in to close a thread please could you post a reason.

There was a recent thread in "Barstool Banter" called "Has thailand made you hate great Britain?" that has been locked - and I can't for the life of me see why. OK, it may not be the most interesting or original thread (surely that is the nature of a lot of barstool banter!). However, there were a couple of interesting posts, and one or two viewpoints that I disagreed with - I was just poised to post about them when I couldn't find the button and discovered it was locked. Now, I'm sure that there is a good reason for this - but it is frustrating not to know what that reason is. If it has breached forum rules - it would be really useful to know what rules have been broken. If rule-breaking or inflammatory posts have been deleted, then it would be good to know that posts had been deleted and why (e.g. for breaking rule X).

Please don't take this post as mod bashing - you guys do a great job. It would, though, be really useful that when you do feel the need to insert an editorial boot you say why.

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

I haven't visited the thread you are talking about but my guess would be it was closed because

:DeadHorse2: :DeadHorse2:

IMHO a few more should be closed too. LOL

I haven't visited the thread you are talking about but my guess would be it was closed because

Is that a forum rule - not as far as I'm aware? I certainly hope that is not the case, because if you want to have freedom of speech then it really important that threads aren't closed arbitrarily without giving reasons. If threads that haven't broken any forum rules are closed down simply because a mod doesn't like them (I hope that isn't what has happened in this case), then that is a dangerous precedent indeed. It is bar room banter, for heavens sake, people in bars do tend to beat dead horses - that is the nature of bar room banter! I also fail to see the problem with threads that some people find boring. No one is compelled to read them, and if people are posting in them then some people obviously find them interesting.

I must emphasise that I'm not defending this particular thread, but I'm asking in what way has it infringed forum policy. Not least, this is because I want to understand forum policy. For example, I have recently discovered that any post that is disrespectful to the Royal Thai Police is in breach of rule 2. Fair enough. However, this isn't widely known - and I certainly didn't appreciate that. In the past, some of my posts have definitely been disrespectful to the RTP which is something that I will be careful not to do in future. If a thread simply gets locked with no explanation then no one can learn from it.

Trip Reports:

Mark Twain

I agree with the above poster - tode 1640

The Mods often have more information about the sensitivity of some threads and the guys that post them than we do.

Mods don't have to go into a long, detailed explanation when locking a post, just a short explanation would do.

For example "Topic locked because of breach of policy" or "Topic locked because of disrespect for Royal Thai Police"

What do other guys think ?

Knowing the Thread and having watched it what was the issue was it got personell.

A nice to be nice policy exists here and for my part it did well to run as long as it did.

I thought a reason was given ref getting out of hand etc and was happy with that reason.

We should bear in mind the Mod or Mods may clise diwn something that at times we wish open longer but they act on their and the Forums ethos which for me does not always seem correct but i respect their role and try to abide by the rules.

Maybe a Mod who closed down the thread would provide more imformation if you want it. Try a PM sometimes they reply ither times they don't

Cheers

Ghosty

Can you give us a clue or tell us .the ones you want closed .Also the one you have not even visited yet

:Think1: chris

Wriggley Tin 1

Knowing the Thread and having watched it what was the issue was it got personell.

A nice to be nice policy exists here and for my part it did well to run as long as it did.

I thought a reason was given ref getting out of hand etc and was happy with that reason.

Please realise that I'm not arguing against the decision. If a reason was given, then I can't see where it is. Is it too much to ask that the last post be a brief explanation (if you are right, then something along the lines of "personal abuse, breach of nice to be nice policy")?

Maybe a Mod who closed down the thread would provide more imformation if you want it. Try a PM sometimes they reply ither times they don't

I don't really want the information myself - I would much rather have the reason public. If forum rules have been breached, then it is much better if everyone knows what rules have been breached so they can be careful not to do it again. If it is so sensitive that it cannot be made public (I realise that sometimes this is the case) then at least a statement saying that would indicate that there is more going on here than meets the eye.

Trip Reports:

Mark Twain

I must concur with Ghosty on this, i am also surprised it lasted so long.

Most of the time the reason is obvious if you had been following the thread. They usually get nasty, way off topic and/or stay into areas that are not permitted. I think BMs should have a look at the rules from time to time.

This one is closed as it breaches rule 17:

17. The decisions of the Administrators and/or Moderators in any dispute at PA is final. Members are not permitted to discuss moderation policy on the forum, including but not limited to individual actions, general and specific policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Archived