IGNORED

Huge win for Danai, takes out Ferrero

Braveheart

Extracted from the Bangkok Post

Thai tennis star Danai Udomchoke achieved one of the biggest wins of his career when he put on a superb display to defeat Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero in the second round of the Australian Open in Melbourne yesterday. The Thai number two beat the former world number one and 24th seed in the tournament 7-6 (7/0), 7-5, 4-6, 6-1 in a hard-fought match.

Danai's previous biggest achievement was his upset victory at the Asian Games in Doha last month when he won the gold medal in the men's singles.

He will now face 14th seed Novak Djokovic of Serbia in the third round.

''I didn't have anything to lose, I just did my best,'' said a delighted Danai, who for so long has been playing in the shadow of Paradorn Srichaphan, who was knocked out in the first round.

Danai, 25, said he was particularly proud as he was the only Asian left in the men's singles.

The Thai player began as the underdog against Ferrero but battled hard in the first set to force a tie-break which he won comfortably without dropping a point.

After moving into a two-set lead, Danai could not keep up the momentum in the third set which he lost 6-4. Any fears Ferrero would stage a rally were quickly dispelled when Danai won the fourth set in commanding fashion 6-1 to take the match.

Danai said the most he had been hoping for was to get through the first round. ''Anything after that is a bonus,'' he said.