IGNORED

ผมต้อง�ารทราบว่าสมาชิ��ี่คนอ่านเขียนภาษาไทยได้ครับ

somjit

My skills are limited but it's fun and very useful.

DSC01516.JPG

เรียนภาษาไทยได้ประโยชน์เยอะกับสาว

Not the

เรียนภาษาไทยได้ประโยชน์เยอะกับสาว

I don't believe it's the Thai language. It's the Thai Baht that will go further with the Thai ladies! :Think1:

Looks like the buses going to Isaan.

Your poll question uses rather formal diction, I'd simply write ผมอยากรู้ว่า instead of ผมต้องการทราบว่า

Looks like the buses going to Isaan.

Your poll question uses rather formal diction, I'd simply write ผมอยากรู้ว่า instead of ผมต้องการทราบว่า

Yes, but I think it's better to be a bit too polite.

Yes, but I think it's better to be a bit too polite.

Kind Sir, I am at a loss as to how to properly reply to your query. I do not feel that my skills are adequate to say that I read and (most especially) write Thai well, but I feel that I will be doing myself a disservice to say I am only able to read and write to a small degree. My skill level falls somewhere between these two choices and since neither choice is appropriate I will sadly have to refrain from answering.

คนไทยบอกว่าเราพูดไทยชาตมากกก :D

• 3 weeks later...

Not the

I don't believe it's the Thai language. It's the Thai Baht that will go further with the Thai ladies! :Think1:

เงินช่วยให้หาสาวอิสานที่แต่งงานและมีลูกกีคนแล้ว

ภาษาไทยช่วยให่หาสาวโสดจากกทม

แต่แล้วแค่

Kind Sir, I am at a loss as to how to properly reply to your query. I do not feel that my skills are adequate to say that I read and (most especially) write Thai well, but I feel that I will be doing myself a disservice to say I am only able to read and write to a small degree. My skill level falls somewhere between these two choices and since neither choice is appropriate I will sadly have to refrain from answering.

Please give your reply in Thai.

555 if I could do that then I would have answered เก่ง, but I'll give it a try. I'll use a dictionary but won't get any help from anyone. Corrections are welcome:

คุณ somjit,

ผมไม่ทราบว่าผมควรจะตอบคำถามของท่านได้อย่างไร ผมรู้สึกว่าความสามารถของผมไม่เก่งพอที่จะตอบว่าผมอ่านเขียนภาษาไทยได้เก่งโดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งการเขียน แต่ถ้าตอบว่าผมแค่อ่านเขียนได้นิดหน่อยนี่ไม่ยุติธรรมต่อตัวเอง ความสามารถของผมอยู่ระหว่างการเลือกสองข้อนี้ เนื่องจากไม่มีคำตอบที่เหมาะสม ด้วยความเสียใจผมจำเป็นจะต้องงดเว้นจากตอบคำถามของท่าน

อ่านออก เขี้ยนออกด้วย ไม่ย่ากหรอก

Thai for Beginners (Becker) will have you reading in a couple of months. Thai is not hard to read since it's phonetic. When you see a word written you almost always can derive it's pronounciation from logical rules. Writing is harder since a word can be spelled a huge number of ways. Most BGs have terrinle spelling.

I can read everything in a newspaper but only understand about half of it.

555 if I could do that then I would have answered เก่ง, but I'll give it a try. I'll use a dictionary but won't get any help from anyone. Corrections are welcome:

คุณ somjit,

ผมไม่ทราบว่าผมควรจะตอบคำถามของท่านได้อย่างไร ผมรู้สึกว่าความสามารถของผมไม่เก่งพอที่จะตอบว่าผมอ่านเขียนภาษาไทยได้เก่งโดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งการเขียน แต่ถ้าตอบว่าผมแค่อ่านเขียนได้นิดหน่อยนี่ไม่ยุติธรรมต่อตัวเอง ความสามารถของผมอยู่ระหว่างการเลือกสองข้อนี้ เนื่องจากไม่มีคำตอบที่เหมาะสม ด้วยความเสียใจผมจำเป็นจะต้องงดเว้นจากตอบคำถามของท่าน

เก่งแล้วครับ

When you see a word written you almost always can derive it's pronounciation from logical rules.

That's right. But words from Sanskrit/Pali can cause a bit of a headache:

ประวัติศาสตร์ - History

ทฤษฎี - Theory

รัฐธรรมนูญ - Constitution

etc.

Well, the only word I didn't know how to say was "refrain" and after consulting a few dictionaries I chose งดเว้น, but I almost never practice writing/typing so I had several misspellings that needed to be corrected. If I could have done that without the dictionary then I'd feel comfortable with saying เก่ง.

That's right. But words from Sanskrit/Pali can cause a bit of a headache:

ประวัติศาสตร์ - History

ทฤษฎี - Theory

รัฐธรรมนูญ - Constitution

etc.

True indeed. Whenever theres a lot of hidden 'short a:s – สระ อ่ะ'. I mean, does ทฤษฎี read ta-rut-sati or trut-sati? (i really can't tell – so im asking u..)

And some of the pali-derived words even deviates from the rule-system. Like the common เหตุ - /cause, reason/ which should be read 'hetu' but are simply read 'het'.

Can u watch thai news broadcasts and understand the content รึยัง

True indeed. Whenever theres a lot of hidden 'short a:s – สระ อ่ะ'. I mean, does ทฤษฎี read ta-rut-sati or trut-sati? (i really can't tell – so im asking u..)

And some of the pali-derived words even deviates from the rule-system. Like the common เหตุ - /cause, reason/ which should be read 'hetu' but are simply read 'het'.

Can u watch thai news broadcasts and understand the content รึยัง

Pronunciation for ทฤษฎี is ทิด-สะ-ดี but don't ask me why.

My understanding of the news depends a lot on the topic. I have not much trouble with sex and crime, the weather and football. But if it's about the royal family I have to give up.