Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

3months of training?

JROCSTAR

still have a while left in afghanistan and some party trips in between before this happens...but like to plan and would appreciate feedback from some guys who have a better idea on this than i do.

once done over here i plan to stay 3months in pattaya...i was planning on just partying hard the first month then staying and training at fairtex for the remaining two, not concerned with the price and think it would be better if i was 'on location' in terms of showing up and the motivational factor. is two months of daily training too much? should i be looking at maybe just the last month? i hit the gym every single day here and by time i begin i should be in top shape...i have boxed (american style) for a few years but have 0 skill using my legs, knees and elbows. would also be very interested in learning some grappling or ground techniques since from what i have heard Muay Thai lacks...any input is appreciated!

note - not trying to go pro or fight on a regular basis...just want to be at an above beginner level and have the correct form and style down within my time training.

MMC - Monster.Monger.Clique

certified whore & war monger

• 2 weeks later...

still have a while left in afghanistan and some party trips in between before this happens...but like to plan and would appreciate feedback from some guys who have a better idea on this than i do.

once done over here i plan to stay 3months in pattaya...i was planning on just partying hard the first month then staying and training at fairtex for the remaining two, not concerned with the price and think it would be better if i was 'on location' in terms of showing up and the motivational factor. is two months of daily training too much? should i be looking at maybe just the last month? i hit the gym every single day here and by time i begin i should be in top shape...i have boxed (american style) for a few years but have 0 skill using my legs, knees and elbows. would also be very interested in learning some grappling or ground techniques since from what i have heard muay thai lacks...any input is appreciated!

note - not trying to go pro or fight on a regular basis...just want to be at an above beginner level and have the correct form and style down within my time training.

If you go to Fairtex as a beginner, you'll also leave as a beginner, they don't care about teaching you F all.

Go to Golden Glory, cheaper.. the owner is a crook though. Don't pay in advance, negotiate a cheaper daily rate and turn up daily

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

I was looking at this place online http://www.kombatgroup.com/index.html

I've never been there so I can't tell you much except they have MMA trainers. I was going to check it out next time Im there.

Also I prefer the smaller cheaper Gyms in LOS, with no aircon, for bodybuilding. No rules so we train without shoes or shirts and so hot that we sweat so much we get shredded alot quicker.

Fairtex Pattaya is more of a resort, OK for fitness or beginners but not really a place to train hard and learn real skills. The real Fairtex fighters all train at Fairtex Bangplee in BKK.

Fitness wise if you are not used to Muay Thai fitness you will get fucking nailed at first - legs and especially clinching is extremely tiring because you're using much larger muscle groups than Western boxing. But it's all good, you will leave a cardio machine with great heat resistance. You are better off training for longer eg. 1 month of once per day (mornings, it's too hot in the afternoons) and then one month of twice per day if you can hack the intense heat of afternoon training.

Also if you haven't trained kicks before, prepare to nail the fuck out of the balls of your feet and toes - especially if the gym has a concrete floor (which many hardcore Gyms do), you will get massive blisters on the soles of your feet on the first day, which will then pop open and will take time to heal before you can train properly again. Even if you are in a more modern gym with mats, you will still get hardcore blisters that will pop open and leave a bloody raw mess. So it's best to get that out of the way early, and get some callouses happening so you can get down to proper training later on.

If you want to really train properly then Golden Glory is probably your best bet because you can train BJJ / MMA there as well. However Pattaya is not really the best place for hardcore training - BKK has dozens if not hundreds of pro quality Muay Thai Gyms populated by professional fighters (and has mongering as well) and there are a couple of really good BJJ schools here as well. In Phuket you also have Tiger Muay Thai (as featured constantly on the UFC) and a couple of other good MMA Gyms.

Hardcore training and mongering are not really compatible because training twice per day requires a lot of focus and commitment, plus you need to take care of your body (ie. no drinking and no late nights) to handle the intense physical exertion. If you want to fit in at the gym and be taken seriously, you will be expected to be up at 6:30am to do the run (10km or so) with the rest of the fighters.

• 1 month later...

Pattaya isnt the place for serious training. Maybe split your holiday and head to Phuket for the MMA Gyms? Tiger, Phuket Top Team for example

Q23 in Bangkok is great from BJJ.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the replies...seems the best thing to do is splitting the trip and doing the training elsewhere than pattaya...not too bad i guess, will get to see a different part of the country other than patts and bkk.

MMC - Monster.Monger.Clique

certified whore & war monger

JROCSTAR, Team Quest just recently opened a school in Chaing Mi. Just google it for their website. It's where I would like to go some day. If your not familiar with Team Quest they are out of Oregon, Matt Kindland, Randy Couture and Dan Henderson started it and still own it. I'd loved to hear about your journey which ever direction you choose as I said earlier it's one of my goals to do something like this if even for just a month. Training twice a day I would learn a lot.

• 4 months later...

JROCSTAR, Team Quest just recently opened a school in Chaing Mi. Just google it for their website. It's where I would like to go some day. If your not familiar with Team Quest they are out of Oregon, Matt Kindland, Randy Couture and Dan Henderson started it and still own it. I'd loved to hear about your journey which ever direction you choose as I said earlier it's one of my goals to do something like this if even for just a month. Training twice a day I would learn a lot.

I've trained at Team Quest in Chiang Mai, they're by far the best I think. The owners are foreginers but the trainers are thai professionals, and you usually train in a small group so you get to know everyone like a family. As for the training, its hard and they really keep pressure on you so you can achieve your goals.

I've trained at Team Quest in Chiang Mai, they're by far the best I think. The owners are foreginers but the trainers are thai professionals, and you usually train in a small group so you get to know everyone like a family. As for the training, its hard and they really keep pressure on you so you can achieve your goals.

Thanks for the heads up on Team Quest in Chiang Mai, that's the spot I'm gonna pick.

• 4 weeks later...

I have trained at a few Gyms in Thailand, I found Fairtex Pattaya to be pretty good. Maybe not for a beginner because it is very self directed there, but they have some good trainers and fighters training out of there. It is nice having four rings because it dosnt take as long to get in there hitting the pads. It is a big facility and I prefer that it is more like a resort, I dont know why the purest believe living in squalor is the way to go. Good food there, nice facilities overall, very clean. I have done a couple of tours to Afghanistan too and had enough of living in shitty places.

Tiger is good too, they have an octagon and a decent BJJ program. WMC is good, Superpro is good, Lanna is good. I would say split it up but start training right after you shake off the jet lag, it is humid there and the pace can be relentless so go slow off the start maybe once a day, pay for some private lessons if you have the cash. Take care of your feet if you are not used to training on canvas, it will shred your feet after a week or so.

There are a lot of good Gyms in Thailand.

Archived