Android, Essential Apps for Expats and Pattaya Addicts

jjscanlover

All,

I've got 4 Androids now. 3 phones ranging from 1.6 to 2.35. And one tablet

galaxy 8.9 that will be using 4.0 soon I hope. I've tested out a lot of APPS

and wanted to share some of my favorites as well as get everyone Else's

input on what they have found useful and why. My Apps reflect being an Expat

and of course a Pattaya Addict

The obvious, Google Translate someone has written about how great that is.

Gnotes; Syncs with your email. So its a note pad or to do list that has its own

section in your Gmail, and is searchable like your email. It is also listed as a share option, so If I

visit some location and note the GPS I can send that directly to notes snap a photo or record a message

a searchable multimedia diary at the very least. And for a really quick (one step) share of your GPS

try GPS share

Someone in another message asked how to transport your files or photos in a secure manner.

Some of the different aspects involved might be just keeping your private photos from showing up in gallery.

A very useful tool for this is pandora. Pandora lets you assign a password to access your private photos and

lets you easily access them. A next level of protection is King Kong lock which lets you encrypt and lock

your files and apps. Lastly, if you just want to store your files in the cloud and have access to them only when you

need them or easily send links to others to download files...even really large files such as DVD images I use

Dropbox, Sugarsync, or Box. They all have their pros and cons. Dropbox being my favorite. Another cool app

is 4shared. 4 shared does the same storage feature, but allows users to share or not share files in a searchable

database. So that means if you use Shazaam or Soundhound to identify a song you like... you can immediately enter it into

4shared search and probably download it for free from somebody who is sharing that file, photo,video,pdf etc. (you should have the copyright of

anything you download of course)

Ok, I look forward to your shares on best Apps and will continue on this thread with more of my favorites. All those listed

above are free but powerful apps and none require rooting.

Cheers,

J

If this is where we all wanted to end up.... we have done everything perfectly.

"We mock what we don't understand" (Spies Like Us)

“It's always funny until someone gets hurt.

Then it's just hilarious.â€

― Bill Hicks

I should have mentioned that you get 2 free Gig of space when your download dropbox and when your refer people they add more

(about 250m I think). please use this link http://db.tt/G2VNoi9 and they will give me extra space for refering.

http://db.tt/G2VNoi9

― Bill Hicks

ok, Some other great APP's with a stealth theme

Mobile Hidden Camera or MHC. Mobile hidden camera is a fantastic app that lets you

record video or photograph without any indication on the screen. The advanced mode even lets you

continue on using most functions of the phone while secretly recording in the background. Very useful in situations where you might want to cover your ass. Lots of features have been added over the generations of this program..including hiding the program icon itself and self destruct of all recordings

Another stealthy wonder is Zoner. It works in the background protecting you from viruses, but also allows you to exert some control when your phone is stolen ...and it will even report back to you when your SIM is removed and send one of your trusted friends the new # of the sim inserted... in case you want to call the bastard that stole your phone.(free)

Glimpse is a program that sends an update of the phones location. If glimpse is on a phone, it can share its location real time with any # of observers. The link that glimpse sends out allows anyone else with an internet connection to follow the phone on a google map page. Imagine one of your employees has this activated on his phone you can watch a map of his phone moving around ...how exciting ;)

It expires at a preset time.

― Bill Hicks

Some Android communication APPs

Groove IP if you dont like Skype for one reason or another Grove Ip will give you the same type service.It is actually just an APP that harnesses Google voice.

Skype of course. Everyone is familiar with it, I would just like to point out something that happened with my phone that interfered with Skype. Most of our advanced phones have a proximity sensor, it allows the phone screen to know to shut the screen down when you are holding the phone to your head, or to behave differently when the phone is in the holster. My HTC phone would shut down the screen when I was holding the phone to my head to use skype, it throttles back the data connection (probably thinks the phone has been holstered and destroys the quality of the Skype call. Tablets of course work great because you dont hold it to your head... It's probably just a HTC anomaly anyway the best fix is use Skype as a speaker phone or download an app or two that gives you some control over that proximity sensor behavior.

There are some great new APPs that turn your phone into a walky talky. I Use one called Zello. You can talk specificly to your friends phone or create a channel that lets you talk to a group of people at once. This works through the internet so there is no cost to talk to anyone. One great feature is that all transmissions are held in the history, so even if someone didnt hear your transmission it is saves as a file that can be played back ( like a voice mail).

― Bill Hicks

Downloaded dropbox via your invite

Thanks! they just emailed me that they gave me 500meg more.

― Bill Hicks

Thanks! they just emailed me that they gave me 500meg more.

Same as for applying via an invite

Tried skype but it seemed to take over my pc. Every number was a skype number, so I deleted it.

• 4 weeks later...

TuneIt

Vonage

Viber

IMO

Voxer "This is a must"

I think you should review those.

TuneIt

Vonage

Viber

IMO

Voxer "This is a must"

I think you should review those.

Hey Phat Rabbit, I will check them out. Please go ahead and write about them, I meant for this to be open to talk about their favorites.

I just downloaded Google "Listen" and "beyondpod".... very nice to get back in the Podcast listening habit. I got tired of using Itunes and

syncing the old Ipod so using these apps lets me use my Android to download or stream my favorite podcasts.

― Bill Hicks

• 2 weeks later...

Whatsapp

Free SMS and mms (using data) around the world. Lots of Thai's use it too so great for keeping in touch all you need is their number in your phone

:BJ4: Pattaya.... providing an alternate reality not to be found anywhere else :BJ4:

Same as for applying via an invite

Tried skype but it seemed to take over my pc. Every number was a skype number, so I deleted it.

Skype installs an add on/extension in your web browser, you can easily disable it.

• 3 months later...

these are my favorites not in particular order:

PREY:

it is a recovery app that locks, locates, takes pictures, deletes files if your phone is ever lost or stolen.

TALKATONE, GROOVE IP, GOOGLE VOICE:

these apps let you make calls from your phone for free in the USA as long as you have wifi or \

a data connection.

ANDORO BLACKBOARD

app that uses your phone as a blackboard drawing with your finger.

BRIGHTEST FLASHLIGHT

uses your LED flash as a flashlight

ALARM CLOCK PLUS

sets the alarm with challenging math problems if you want to snooze or dismiss the alarm

POWER SCHEDULE

schedule your android to go offline automatically, I don't take calls while I go to sleep, so this app automatically makes the phone go offline and back online when I wake up.

everyone is familiar with this app.

SPEED TEST:

measures the speed of your data connection.

WIFI TETHER & FOXFI

these 2 apps let you use your phone as a hotspot for your computer or other devices while using your phone's data network, I use these app because TMOBILE wants to charge me $15/month to use my phone as a hotspot.

OPERA MOBILE

browser for your android that lets you view webpages as a desktop browser instead of the mobile version.

HEYWIRE

text messaging app that gives you your own USA # for texting only,

so you can send and receive messages using this #.

:Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1: