IGNORED

Getting a new UK passport

pubstud

I'm currently traveling on my UK passport, which is nearly full but does have a few years left before it expires. I have nearly 2 pages left then it's full. I'll need to renew my retirement visa in July, and after getting that. It'll be full.

So what's the procedure in getting a new UK passport in Thailand? and can my current visa status be easily transfered to a new passport. Any idea of the costs. I'd like to get a new one with more pages as I travel often to Lao & Cambo and those sticker visas soon eat up all the pages.

So any ideas for me?

Are you in Pattaya? The British consulate is in Soi 5 in Jomtien, next to the Thai Immigration Office. They will be able to point you in the right direction regarding renewal. They might even be able to do it there, rather than Bangkok. As your current passport is technically still valid, just full, your current Thai visa I would think would still be valid also. I am in the same position, I have two current UK passports which are both about 3 years old and both are almost full already! Again the guys in the consulate would, I am sure, be able to answer that for you. If not, pop next door into Immigration and they should be able to give you the answer.

I believe the consulate is only open in the mornings, I think 10am to 12 noon. Mon-Fri! It's also closed UK and Thai public holidays.

Edited by Wicked Roger

I recently started a whiskey diet......I've lost three days already!

Are you in Pattaya? The British consulate is in Soi 5 in Jomtien, next to the Thai Immigration Office. They will be able to point you in the right direction regarding renewal. They might even be able to do it there, rather than Bangkok. As your current passport is technically still valid, just full, your current Thai visa I would think would still be valid also. I am in the same position, I have two current UK passports which are both about 3 years old and both are almost full already! Again the guys in the consulate would, I am sure, be able to answer that for you. If not, pop next door into Immigration and they should be able to give you the answer.

I believe the consulate is only open in the mornings, I think 10am to 12 noon. Mon-Fri! It's also closed UK and Thai public holidays.

Cheers Roger, I actually left patts a couple weeks ago and currently in the NE. I think I'll try phoning the Brit Emm in BKK after Songkran and see what they say.

I know the US people are lucky because their consulates & embassies will add more pages for them, but UK & Aussies make you pay for a new passport.

Be aware that the embassy in Bangkok no longer issues passports - you have to apply to the Consulate General in Hong Kong.

See: http://ukinthailand....nals/passports/

Well isn't that just typical! How many Brit tourists visit Thailand as compared to Hongkong? I wonder who in the ministry thought that little gem up!

Edited by Wicked Roger

I actually left patts a couple weeks ago and currently in the NE. I think I'll try phoning the Brit Emm n BKK after Songkran and see what they say.

Chiang Mai, British Consulate

198 Bumrungraj Road

Muang

Chiang Mai 50000

(53) 263 015

UK in Thailand

We no longer issue standard (10 year) British passports at this Embassy. You now need to apply for your passport at our Regional Passport Processing Centre in Hong Kong. They will tell you everything you need to know about applying for a new or replacement British passport.

Why have we done this? Please see this leaflet [PDF, 77.0 Kb, new window] for all the changes related to the way we issue passports overseas.

If you need to travel urgently and your standard passport is not available we may be able to help you with emergency travel documentation:

Emergency Travel Document (ETD)

To obtain an Emergency Travel Document (ETD), the applicant must apply in person. They will need to establish if the country they are planning to travel to accepts ETDs. To do this, they will need to contact that country's embassy.

An ETD is valid for only one return journey out of Thailand which can be to a maximum of five destinations. A person may only be issued with 2 ETDs within a 12 month period.

Source :

http://ukinthailand....nals/passports/

Hope this helps

Starting to sound complicated. I should have enough room left in my passport for the renewal of my retirement visa in July. And I'm planning going to Perth in December for a couple of months. So I reckon I'll leave the renewal for now and get a new UK passport in Australia (where my current one was issued)

But what will happen to my current Thai retirement visa which will be in my old full up UK passport and will be dated as valid up to July 2013? How do I get that put into my newly issued UK passport?

Usually when you get a renewed passport they cancel the previous one and even cut it up and stamp cancelled all over it.

But what will happen to my current Thai retirement visa which will be in my old full up UK passport and will be dated as valid up to July 2013? How do I get that put into my newly issued UK passport?

Usually when you get a renewed passport they cancel the previous one and even cut it up and stamp cancelled all over it.

They don't cut it up, they just cut the corners of the front and rear cover off. I feel pretty confident that your Thai retirement visa will still be valid regardless. Especially considering your passport is still in date. It's just full! As I mentioned previously, my US visa is still valid, and that passport expired years ago! So I would think the same would apply to your Thai one. But of course for the definitive answer you would need to contact the Thai immigration office!

Just go to immigration office with your old & new passport they will transfer all to your new one, when I had mine done they charged me 1900bht again. If you renew through Hong Kong you do not have to send your old passport just a copy

Hong Kong, British Consulate-General

Address:

1 Supreme Court Road

Hong Kong

Phone:

(+44) 208 082 4744 Passport Information Helpline

Cheers everyone, I appreciate the help & tips. I'm going to wait until after July when I renew my retirement visa, then order a new book from HK. Already been on the HK website and see that it's not complicated nor that expensive. I see that for us in Thailand we don't need to send out current passports when applying for a new book, so after I recieve the new one I take both books to the nearest immigration office and have my retirement visa transfered into the new book then take a pair of scissors to the old one.

When I did the math last night it came to about 7,500THB - that was for a 48 page book plus the courier fees.

pubstud

About right on the cost, sent mine out EMS post, make sure your photos fit their criteria they are a bit fussy

pubstud

About right on the cost, sent mine out EMS post, make sure your photos fit their criteria they are a bit fussy

Yes I saw on the website they say many applications they receive have errors, so one must read the instructions carefully.

When I get around to actually doing it I'll probably run it past you guys on the forum to make sure I've not missed something.

I am in a similar boat. Where is a reliable photography shop?

Thanks.

I am in a similar boat. Where is a reliable photography shop?

Thanks.

Well I think all the little photo shops have facilities for taking passport photos and in my experience they all much of a muchness. The most important thing is making sure the size of the passport photos are correct for your particular country's requirements - you can find sizes and guidelines on embassy websites. Also have to make sure backgrounds are correct and position of face correct, all the details are on the websites. But as for the quality of the passport photos I believe any shop will do.

Well I think all the little photo shops have facilities for taking passport photos and in my experience they all much of a muchness. The most important thing is making sure the size of the passport photos are correct for your particular country's requirements - you can find sizes and guidelines on embassy websites. Also have to make sure backgrounds are correct and position of face correct, all the details are on the websites. But as for the quality of the passport photos I believe any shop will do.

Thanks

You have to make sure that your face fits into the prescribed oval on the photgraph.

Brother does the Checking service within the Post Office in the UK and says most rejections are on this issue.

You have to make sure that your face fits into the prescribed oval on the photgraph.

Brother does the Checking service within the Post Office in the UK and says most rejections are on this issue.

Right, I'll make double sure the photos are correct when I do the app. Sure don't want any rejections.