IGNORED

Eastiny Plaza Soi 8

harrymudd

I stayed at the Eastiny Plaza in Soi 8 in November. I have been a loyal customer of the Eastiny Group for years.

In general, the hotel is ok. The rooms are nothing special, but clean. Shower had drainage problems (in several rooms), so if you shower too long, the water might flood your room. Staff is friendly. Breakfast has a good selection, however is only available until 10 am. Location is noisy but that is known and doesnt matter if you are on town for fun.

However, during my stay in November, the following booking problem occured. I spent some days in the hotel, moved to Samui for one week and came back for one day before going to BKK. I booked the second 1-night stay via booking.com. When checking in, I informed the person at the reception that I have a booking with booking.com. I had the impression, that the receptionist understood what I was telling her. Unfortunately I had no printout from booking.com, but only the pdf on the mobile. But that seemed to be ok for them (also in other Thailand hotels).

I paied at the reception with cash. When returning home and receiving my credit card bill, I found out that the Eastiny Plaza also charged my credit card, so I paied my hotel room twice. I reported everything to booking.com, and they finally agreed to refund the 1500 THB. I think that is generous from them because it was the hotel who charged my credit card. Booking.com informed me that they also tried to contact Eastiny Plaza, but never got any reply from them.

I have stayed at the Eastinny Plaza several times in the last few years, the most recent being May-June 2010. Nice clean rooms, clean sheets, hot water supply is dependable. Not very noisy if you get a room on the upper floors facing away from the soi 8 below. Be wary of the "sea facing" rooms. What that means is a tiny sliver of a view of the sea that you can catch if you crane your neck on the balcony. If you are finicky about sea views etc., this one is not for you.

The breakfast is just about ok. Yes, they shut the thing down at 10:00AM, which is bloody inconvenient. The staff is largely helpful. I found if I tipped the cleaning lady 100 Baht on the first day and told her I would be staying for the next fortnight, my room was kept spotlessly clean for the duration. The receptionist is generally a bit of a problem though - not sure whether it is language or plain stupidity, but I found myself struggling if there was the slightest complication.

There was once a problem with a BG that I was bringing in - the security guard got into an argument with her; thankfully one senior hotel staff was around and sorted that out. I could never decipher what the issue was though. The worrying thing is that often they give back the BG ID card to the girl next morning without checking with you. So the usual precautions are all the more important.

The swimming pool is nice, usually very few people around, so if you wish some quiet time with your BG, you can get near-privacy if you are lucky.

Bell Travel buses pick up and drop you at the hotel doorstep, so the trip to the airport in THB 350 flat, comfortable and safe.

All in all, not a bad place at all.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bump old thread. Any new info on this hotel? My mate has booked us in as he says it decent with soft beds (rare in Thailand).

Archived