IGNORED

Dusit D2 Baraquda: Review

Broomstick

We went to D2 Rooftop Lounge for NYE and noticed that they have increased their rates significantly and simply exchange the drink and food menus. We had Tapas 2 days before NYE and the average price was 150 THB per dish and on NYE the average was 300 THB. The same applied for wine and bubbly which increased from 8000 THB to 12.500 THB per bottle for a simple Moet ! At least the view and the firework was great. First/last time for me to spend Xmas in Patts.

• 5 months later...

Actually I'm staying at dusit d2 baraquda in a Studio Suite for 4 nights, though I feel free to give a brief review on my own.

The Good

- location is great, easy access to Walking Street, Soi LK Metro and Soi 7/8

- extremly friendly and helpful staff, no matter it's the front desk, the restaurant or the housekeeping

- any companion you bring in is welcomed as well and treated nicely

- good turn down service

The Bad

- Breakfast is average, you don't starve but quantity and varity is rather limited. Quality is ok but nothing special

- The rooms that face 2nd Road are very noisy. Avoid them.

The Ugly

- The room. My suite is spacious but that's it. It's by far the worst design of any room I've ever stayed. In the living room there's just a couch and an armchair. If you put the armchair next to the window you can make your own episode of "Dancing with the Stars". I really wonder why they didn't put in a table there. For some kind of reason they also didn't put in a working desk. Actually I'm sitting on the couch with the laptop on my belly. The nearest sockets are used by the telephone and the wifi router, so you can't plug the laptop in and charge it while using it. The concept of jacuzzi and sink in the bedroom is flat out nonsense to me. Maybe I'm too old fashioned for these stylish elements, but imho it makes no sense at all. The bedframe and the head of the bed are not linked to eachother, so with with every movement on the mattress (which mighty eventually happen from time to time ;) ) the bed frame moves away from the head, so during the night the pillows disaapears in the gap that has opened. Annoying. Maybe you don't mind about that, but at least I do.

14965665eh.jpg

14965672ws.jpg

14965684fl.jpg

14965773zk.jpg

14965855sl.jpg

14965878vs.jpg

14965892ad.jpg

And here's my room

https://vimeo.com/68986937

Resumé

The dusit d2 baraquda is a nice boutique hotel which best comodity is it's staff. But it's not a 5 star hotel, frankly spoken it's not even close to a 5 star hotel, a nice hotel anyway if you take away the room layout. The room design is odd at best, style over functionality in the worst way. Another/better room layout would have been a huge upgrade. I paid 5.500 THB all inclusive per night for my Studio Suite and got some nice benefits with it (free bottle of sparkling wine, 1 hour massage at thee Spa for free), but I'm still unsure if what I got is really worth what I paid for.

Please keep in mind that everything I wrote is based on my own experience, my personal preferences and my expectations. YMMV!

Please keep in mind that everything I write is based on my own experiences, my personal preferences and my expectations. YMMV!

There's nothing wrong about being cheap ... but being cheap isn't being smart ... never was, never will be ... it's just cheap

Looks like I've got the good suite lads, desk, no gap in the bed for the pillows to escape, quietiest air conditioning so far in Thailand.

But yeah, lacks that extra bit of quality to be 5 star. Hilton perhaps?

Pattaya, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Archived