Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Cheapest way to call a UK landline?

I’ve seen a couple of those red international calling booths, they are 10 baht a minute. Assuming I’ll be on hold for a long while to a bank, are there  other easy options available??

thank you. 

I use a VOIP service here in Thailand...

https://www.sipgate.co.uk/sipgate-starter

Free to create and you just pay for the calls at like 1.18p per minute to the UK but most importantly free for 0800 numbers and for incoming calls.

Means most banks have a 0800 number now or a call back service so you can contact them for free.

You also get a UK number which you can use but I don't really use it.

I put £10 on my account and 18 months later I still have £6.27 left!

You just install an app on your phone which acts as a normal dialler app but connects through the VOIP connection instead of your mobile provider.

Both ios and android support voice over Wi-Fi. 

In both cases turn it on somewhere in ‘settings’. Google for details. 

I’ve not tried it in Thailand but have had good results elsewhere. Suspect the network / broadband provider needs to offer support. 

Perhaps someone on the ground could give it a go. Suggest flight mode to disable cellular, turn Wi-Fi on and connect, ensure voice over Wi-Fi is enabled and give it a go.  

Too late to edit above, but while it’s probably accurate it doesn’t help with cost as most (all?) operators charge Wi-Fi calls at same rate as cellular connection calls. 

• 1 year later...

If you have a truemove sim use this access code to the UK....its landline only pricing I will add not mobiles

0060044 and then the UK landline number obviously dropping the first "zero"

Was 1 Baht a minute for years but has gone up 1.5 Baht a minute now

Never mind all the online options (which I do use) but if I want to call family at home its the phone......6 or 7 minutes for 10 baht

How can you go wrong !

Skype is an easy download to your smartphone, pad or computer.

Make cheap calls to other numbers worldwide including landlines.

I paid $A20 to start, with automatic top-ups whenever the balance drops below $A10.

Easy to operate, similar to the phone program in my Apple iPhone.

Check web for details.

Edited by Bonkabit

I’m with DTAC. To call the UK and I think most other countries use prefix 004.

So to the UK it’s 004 44 then the UK number without the 0. 

Cost around 4 baht a minute from memory. 
Other companies have the same system but with a different prefix. 

Edited by Geordie59

I use Google Voice.  Has it's own app and 100% free to call US/Canada which is the only place I ever need to call LD.   Call quality is flawless.

Edited by Kale

On 16/10/2022 at 22:50, article22 said:

use a VOIP service here in Thailand...

https://www.sipgate.co.uk/sipgate-starter

Free to create and you just pay for the calls at like 1.18p per minute to the UK but most importantly free for 0800 numbers and for incoming calls.

Means most banks have a 0800 number now or a call back service so you can contact them for free.

You also get a UK number which you can use but I don't really use it.

I put £10 on my account and 18 months later I still have £6.27 left!

You just install an app on your phone which acts as a normal dialler app but connects through the VOIP connection instead of your mobile provider.

Hi @article22

Just clicked on link, but appears to be all related to businesses. Also, tried the APP store (apple) and cannot find it.

This sounds interesting to me calling out from China.

I am not a technophobe so might be missing the obvious - can you provide anymore links, or a picture of the app?

Thanks in advance