IGNORED

Compare Mera Mare and Baraqua

elmo12

In the past I have stayed at the Avani. Nice hotel and pool but a bit on the expensive side. I have been having an internal debate for a little while now for my next visit between what I think are two similar hotels. Mera Mare and Baraquda. Both are small higher end boutique hotels. Both seem to have nice pools. (MM is on the left and B on the right). Both appear to be girl friendly. Rooms are approximately the same size. And both hotels look to be relatively maintained and up to date. So far so good. Now MM is near the 6 and has views of the water which is nice. B is closer to LK Metro and Walking St and it is on 2nd rd so no views there...but there appears to be a rooftop bar there so perhaps a trade off for the view at MM.   I believe all my non-negotiables are met with either hotels so it comes down to je ne sais quoi which is why I am hoping someone on PA who found themselves in a similar dilemma may want to share what they found. What do you say?

Mera Mare Hotel - Pattaya - BuildingImage result for baraquda

Image result for mera mare roomsdeluxe-room

I stayed in Baraquda about 10+ times but only once in Mera Mare. Here is my opinion:

1. Mera Mare is newer (1 year old) and Baraquda is about 8 years old (it was called Dusit D2 before). Rooms condition, Mera Mare is better even Baraquda did a renovation a few years ago.

2. Mera Mare's wall is paper thin. If you stay there, get a room/suite far away of the elevator if you are a light sleeper. Baraquda doesn't have this problem. The elevator is far away from any room.

3. Mera Mare has better view even you stay in the standard room. Baraquda has almost no view. Except you stay in the 2 most expensive 2 floor suites, you see a little seaview.

4. Not many people visit the roof top bar in Baraquda. Everytime I went there to claim my welcome drink. Most of the time, I was the only customer there. A few time, a few other customers. View is just OK there. Nothing like Hilton or Siam@Siam. Mera Mare has no roof top bar.

5. Take bahtbus to go around in Pattaya. Baraquda has a little shorter walk than Mera Mare.

6. Breakfast in both hotels are OK. Nothing like Marriott (now Avani), Hilton or Wave hotel.

Hope that help you to make your decision. By the way, I and other BMs posted some reviews and pictures of the two hotels, you could find them in this section.

I used Agoda to compare both hotels for my upcoming November trip.

Mera Mare has rooms available for about $30 U.S. lower. And that comes with a cancellation option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I booked Mera Mare via Accor last time. Not so sure Mera Mare knew my status with Accor or not. The staffs treated me very nice. A free high tea set delivered to my suite after I checked in!

mera.png.31318bd4c4da6228a8d9a807b2a9dc93.png

15 minutes ago, matrix123 said:

I booked Mera Mare via Accor last time. Not so sure Mera Mare knew my status with Accor or not. The staffs treated me very nice. A free high tea set delivered to my suite after I checked in!

As long as you not told them, no chance they know about your Accor Status. There is no conection between Accor and MM afaik.

You can get Baraquda for a very good price if you book during a Accor sale. I was very tempted to book them when they had a big sale, but being  a 5* property and not having a Lounge, I could not convince me doing it. 

I think I am leaning toward Baraquda as that stay would put me into gold status which I could use elsewhere. Also hearing more than once about MM paper thin walls seems like an issue. What if a bring home a screamer?

55 minutes ago, elmo12 said:

I think I am leaning toward Baraquda as that stay would put me into gold status which I could use elsewhere. Also hearing more than once about MM paper thin walls seems like an issue. What if a bring home a screamer?

Gently cover her mouth and hope she likes it?

Need hotel suggestions?  Free, non-judgmental help available HERE with over 1,100 rooms within 1 mile of the Pattaya nightlife districts covered.  Results tuned to your exact specifications.

Down for Maintenance as of 11/8/2017.

Map Links and Joiner Policy Repository access information here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjbngew8ss1a6q0/mapLinks.pdf?dl=0

7 hours ago, ZRHuser said:

As long as you not told them, no chance they know about your Accor Status. There is no conection between Accor and MM afaik.

You can get Baraquda for a very good price if you book during a Accor sale. I was very tempted to book them when they had a big sale, but being  a 5* property and not having a Lounge, I could not convince me doing it. 

I showed them my reservation but don't remember I showed them my Accor card or not. So, the high tea may come with the suite.

Baraquda has a lounge (they call it Baraquda club) since about 2 years ago. It is not quite a 5 star standard lounge but better than nothing. see picture here (post # 74):

• 2 weeks later...

Mera Mare doesn't have bum guns (at the toilet). Never seen that before in Thailand. And the girls don't like that. Overall, I thought it was a pretty average hotel

But Baraquda is an incredible hotel! Except for the fact that I really don't like the bathrooms. There's pretty much no privacy in the toilet. But the water pressure is great and they always have hot water. 

Other than that, Baraquda is my hotel of choice. I keep coming back. 24 hour room service. Your view (standard room) is of the pool. Which is beautiful! High quality towels. Comfortable beds. And the rooftop bar (I've never seen it crowded) is great! You can see the ocean. But mostly 2nd Road. But it's a great place to chill. Great gym (24 hour). And the staff is incredibly friendly. They will take the girl's ID if you want. But its not required. Just walk on by if you want. Location is perfect. And overall, the hotel is beautiful. (Yes, if you want to look for flaws, you will find them. But they are all minor flaws.)

I highly recommend Baraquda.

no idea when your next visit is but until at least november the chinese and their buses are back on the beach rd near MM in great numbers...............................

596057022316b_june12007(Custom).JPG.d78b25d3b04ce34fa4eb37c7f6f29bfb.JPG

59605715f3778_june12008(Custom).JPG.3e2113c225ceed28aee1c2ab67561399.JPG

Im pretty particular with my hotel choice and have done some fairly vigorous searching as this upcoming trip will be my first to Pattya.  I asked a few questions on here and have had some great input from members.    I have chosen Baraquda due to its location, security and general overall box ticking as far as I'm concerned...

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Mera Mare is a very nice looking hotel with the pictures that they provide.

5963ab2ae3f77_july9007(Custom).JPG.866ba2b2c31d4f73ff4f9d0dce2e685b.JPG

second rd right side with traffic flow, opposite soi 13/2 aka soi post office

On 7/8/2017 at 4:43 AM, wicked.aces said:

Mera Mare doesn't have bum guns (at the toilet).

Unacceptable. The ONE thing that Thailand has that the rest of the world needs and some little hiSo turd thinks it should be phased out? Same as they don't put them in a load of the better shopping malls as well. Don't they get it? Thai's cant do Toilet Paper so then walk around covered in shit! 

Well to end the thread... I went for something completely different and rented a place at VT6. A nice corner unit. I am psyched! Most on the Board know View Talay 6 so I probably don't need to describe the building. The things that went into my final decision were...

Pros: it was same price as Mera Mare and a little less that Baraquda. Location can't be beat (right next to Central Festival). The room is three times the size at 96sqm (vs. about 30sqm). Awesome views from the 23rd floor. It has a washer as well. 

Cons: Probably have to pay a little extra for room service and breakfast is not included. 

I'll report back after my stay, but based on the reviews of many before me I'm sure it will be great!

Here are a few pics of the room I chose from the website:

2302846_17052913180053293711.jpg

2302846_17052913180053293715.jpg

2302846_17052913170053293707.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Well to end the thread... I went for something completely different and rented a place at VT6. A nice corner unit. I am psyched! Most on the Board know View Talay 6 so I probably don't need to describe the building. The things that went into my final decision were...
Pros: it was same price as Mera Mare and a little less that Baraquda. Location can't be beat (right next to Central Festival). The room is three times the size at 96sqm (vs. about 30sqm). Awesome views from the 23rd floor. It has a washer as well. 
Cons: Probably have to pay a little extra for room service and breakfast is not included. 
I'll report back after my stay, but based on the reviews of many before me I'm sure it will be great!
Here are a few pics of the room I chose from the website:

2302846_17052913180053293711.thumb.jpg.13ae66f74cfac2b52f404f5f0ce8d3ca.jpg
2302846_17052913180053293715.thumb.jpg.8bfee3b8c28f148cc4eab5f05d44969e.jpg
2302846_17052913170053293707.thumb.jpg.339848decf4abd71c47e28cb99529e5b.jpg

Looks nice. Did you find this on Agoda? Or they have their own website? Can you share the link.

Coming to Pattaya the 7th time but this time want a room with sea views and a balcony to relax. Hilton is way too expensive. Any help would be appreciated.

It is on Agoda but I think think the website has more inventory. You might want to start with honeyscoffeehouse.com

Been in a similar situation choosing between the 2..and others. In the end I chose MM. 

Pros..

Ultra modern and slick.

Staff are nice and helpful.

Rooms are nice and clean

Location is ideal...few mins walk to Soi 6.

Cons..

No sky bar..something I absolutely loved at the Holiday Inn

Breakfast is ok but not as amazing as others in terms of selection. 

Not many taxi drivers knew of MM...overcome by saying Hard Rock, then directing taxi to MM entrance. 

If views are important (are to me) then choose the Deluxe Room or Suites. I stayed in the Deluxe Premier last Dec and the view was pretty boring (located on side of hotel facing empty land, with a very partial sea view). Oddly enough the lower category room has better views of the bay. 

Archived