IGNORED

Best way to pay at hotel

danmanc12

Hi how do you guys normally pay for your hotel? I have the option of visa debit card or cash but don't really know how much the fees would be on the card. If it's only minimal then the card would be more convenient as it saves taking more cash filling more room in my pockets. Any advice would be great thanks

I tend to book and pay my first week online through a company like Agoda, Experian, etc. After that I generally book the same way again if i like the place and the price has no disparity with the walk in price, if i decide not to stay longer, I go look at a couple of other locations from my shortlist, Having first checked prices online, I compare them with walk in prices and if cheaper on line I pay online if cheaper at the desk I go withdraw money.

Agoda lets you pay in advance. Booking I've payed upon arrival. Agoda gives you the rates before taxes. Booking gives you the rates with taxes included

I normally like to pay in advance. But where I've staying this trip,that's not a option. Up to you what your preferences are.

Use a ATM machine, if you don't want to carry that much cash in your pockets for the flight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi how do you guys normally pay for your hotel? I have the option of visa debit card or cash but don't really know how much the fees would be on the card. If it's only minimal then the card would be more convenient as it saves taking more cash filling more room in my pockets. Any advice would be great thanks

Absolute no extra fees deducted on my visa debit card last time

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

I like to get the miles/points, so, credit card.  If only a couple days in transition, will do cash though.

Book through Booking.com and I pay in local currency when I check out and use a Halifax Clarity card ( no fees , good exchange rate )

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

Get a Travelex Supercard link it to you account pay with that. I linked my to a Cedit card giving 0.5% cash back on UK purchases as travelex goes as a UK purchase I get full Mastercard exchange rate NO fee's plus 0.5% cash back. Most cards have fee's about 3-5% check your banks Web site.

Regards Charles Cheap

• 2 weeks later...

Agoda lets you pay in advance. Booking I've payed upon arrival. Agoda gives you the rates before taxes. Booking gives you the rates with taxes included

I normally like to pay in advance. But where I've staying this trip,that's not a option. Up to you what your preferences are.

Use a ATM machine, if you don't want to carry that much cash in your pockets for the flight.

The Agoda app lets you show rates after taxes now. hotels on Agoda seems to be a lot cheaper than Booking. I also notice Agoda has a lot of nonrefundable specials now that are quite a bit cheaper than the walk in rate and rates on the hotels' own website. Only thing is you need to book weeks in advance to get the special.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Agree,also found Agoda beeing cheaper than booking.com in many cases.

Also a good idea is to check the price on ebookers.de -install the mobile app,they have always some promo codes running therefore often the cheapest option( currently 13% off with code AFFDEALZ117-expires tomorrow i think).You also get additional 5% bonus which can be used immediately for the next booking.

UK debit card overseas charges

If you use your debit card overseas, there's usually a non-sterling transaction fee, which will apply to both purchases and ATM withdrawals. You'll also usually be charged a cash machine fee, but there'll be no interest charged as it's taking cash from your current account.

UK Debit cards (as at June 2016)

PROVIDER NON-STERLING TRANSACTION FEE CASH WITHDRAWAL FEE (NON-STERLING FEE WILL ALSO BE CHARGED)

Barclays 2.99% £1.50 (except Barclays or 'Global Alliance' ATMs)

Bank of Scotland 2.99% + £1 per purchase 1.5% min. £2 max £4.50

Clydesdale/Yorkshire 2.75% min £1.50 3.75% min £1.50

The Co-op Bank 2.75% 2% min. £2

Danske Bank 2.75% + £0.75 per purchase £1.25 per withdrawal

First Direct 1st Directory 2.75% NIL

First Direct 1st Direct 2.75% 2% min. £1.75 max £5

Halifax 2.75% + £1.50 per purchase £1.50 per withdrawal

HSBC 2.75% 2% min. £1.75, max £5

HSBC Premier/Advance 2.75% NIL

Lloyds 2.99% + £1 per purchase 1.5% min. £2 max £4.50

Lloyds Platinum/Premier 2.99% 1.5% min. £2 max £4.50

Marks & Spencer Bank 2.75% NIL

Metrobank (Europe) NIL NIL

Metrobank (Worldwide) 2.5% £1.50

Nationwide 2% £1

Nationwide FlexPlus 2% on spending. 0% on cash withdrawals NIL

NatWest 2.75% min. £1 for purchases 2% min. £2, max £5

Norwich & Peterborough Gold Classic (£5/mth fee if you don't pay in £500 or hold £5,000/mth) NIL NIL

RBS 2.75% min. £1 for purchases 2% min. £2, max £5

Santander 2.75% + £1.25 per purchase 1.5% min. £1.99 (waived if using Santander ATMs in Spain + pay in £500/mth)

Smile 2.75% 2% min. £2

Tesco Bank 2.75% 1%

TSB 2.99% + £1 per purchase 1.5% min. £2 max £4.50

TSB Platinum/Premier 2.99% 1.5% min. £2 max £4.50

Ulster Bank 2.65% + £0.75 per purchase 2.25% min. £2 max £5

Where an interest rate range is shown, this means it depends on the specific card (source original research, with additional information from MoneyFacts).

Sorry, it hasn't pasted well, here's the link:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/overseas-card-charges

I usually use cash to pay in Thailand - if I haven't paid in advance.

The fees for Debit Card use overseas are shown above.

One of the few times I used a card, at the old Charoensri Grand hotel in Udon Thani, someone used it to open an online gambling account!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Booking.com for me with cash on arrival. 

It's not so much that I can pay with cash that makes me favour booking.com, it's the fact that I don't need to pay my whole balance in advance as is the case with Agoda. I'm not prepared to shell out the cash for my whole stay in advance.

With booking.com I've had to pay for 1 night as a deposit and I get that back if I cancel a week or more from my due arrival date.

The difference in cost between Agoda and booking for 12 nights was less than £6.

Booking.com for me with cash on arrival.

It's not so much that I can pay with cash that makes me favour booking.com, it's the fact that I don't need to pay my whole balance in advance as is the case with Agoda. I'm not prepared to shell out the cash for my whole stay in advance.

With booking.com I've had to pay for 1 night as a deposit and I get that back if I cancel a week or more from my due arrival date.

The difference in cost between agoda and booking for 12 nights was less than £6.

It might depend on the hotel. I am seeing more of a $5 PER day difference.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

I use my credit card with Agoda and as soon as the bill comes in I pay it in full. I want airfare and hotel paid for before I get to Thailand. Any cash I bring with me is for food and  :Party3:  

I have used my master card at Areca Lodge without any problem. Always chose to pay in thb to avoid extra exchange charge. Latest trips i have rented a condo at VT6 and they dont accept credit card, only cash. I rent through Dancewatchers.

I usually pay cash, but I finally decided to book online. I don't see the walk in rate as cheaper than online... especially with all the specials online. I went with Orbitz though. The best rates on Agoda are non refundable which I hate especially when I need to book months in advance. Orbitz has an ongoing 15% discount coupon monthly. They also give you 5% back in Orbitz dollars which you can apply to your next stay. The bookings are also refundable up to a week before your stay. If you book enough nights, you can become a platinum member with some free upgrades and other perks.. All this adds up to being about the same or slightly cheaper than Agoda's best rates. Anyways, I don't want to sound like a schill for them.. lol.. If you know something better, let me know!

Archived