Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Agoda fraud prevention request

kopite

Hi all,

I was making a booking with Agoda yesterday and noticed something strange I've not noticed before. I use Agoda quite frequently and have a few bookings with them on a 'book now pay later' state. I also booked one last weekend where I paid up front.

So yesterday I go to make another booking using the same card and I get diverted to this page and received the same via an email from [email protected]. They basically want a pic of both a valid form of picture ID (e.g. Drivers licence) and a pic of the front of the credit card i'm using. When I go into my total bookings I can see this booking I made not under upcoming bookings but cancelled bookings. So looks legit.

See copied text below. I'm wondering if this is just a new policy from Agoda and if it is could it be linked to the recent news about how the Thai government has failed to keep track of tourists coming in and out of the kingdom.

This is an auto generated email.

There is no need to reply.

ACTION REQUIRED

Dear handsome man

Property Name: Grand President hotel Bangkok

Period of Stay: from December 24, 2016 to December 27, 2016

Please note that we need additional information in order to complete your booking. The following secure link will provide you more information and full instructions on how to proceed:

Click here

Important Notes

Please note that your booking request is subject to continued availability. No room is being held whilst we wait for your verification.

Please be advised that full payment will not take place unless the booking has been verified and confirmed.

Once verified we will whitelist your email address in an effort to save you from having to send this information in the future.

If we do not receive your information by December 19, 2016, your booking request will be automatically cancelled and no fees will be charged.

This verification is for security purposes.

All links on this page are secure and the information you provide will be reviewed by a trained member of our Fraud Prevention unit. This team ensures it’s really you making this booking.

Agoda uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to encrypt all information.

Please click http://www.agoda.com/info/agoda_policies.html#2 for more information about our Shop Safe and Privacy Guarantee.

Please note, charges will appear on your credit card statement in your local currency and will be based on the existing exchange rate at the time of the transaction.

Thank you for choosing Agoda.

Agoda Customer Support

Tel: +44 (0)20 3027 7900

E-mail : [email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously I don't know for sure but there is just no way I would send through a copy of both my credit card and my ID... not in a million years.

Look up the hotel web site and ask them directly.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Quick Google throws up a similar complaint from a while back.  In that case, the person e-mailed Agoda to say they were not willing to provide copies of their card etc, and Agoda cancelled their booking.

Looks like you triggered an alert in their system, and they'll stop all future bookings through Agoda until you verify that you are indeed you.

Use another online booking agency if you don't feel safe sending the info' they require.

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

You don't have to worry about Agoda scamming you. They already have your credit card details to take payment.

Quite a few payment processing sites ask for a picture holding valid ID to prevent identify theft.

I called their customer service just now. They said they cancelled that booking yesterday as I had made a lot of bookings and cancellations. But they assured me all my existing bookings will be maintained so no worries.

i would never send my credit card picture in an email, and the fact that Agoda is trying to force customers to do this is very very bad.

The security of doing this is bad.

Send a picture ID copy, thats better and i can understand this to some degree.

Now i dont know where the servers for Agoda is housed, but if they are in the EU, they should be reported to the authorities as what they are doing is against RULES for safeguarding personal data.

---------------------------
Here we go!!!

Archived