Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Terminal 2 Heathrow

Rainsberger

Quote.

I've never been in a Terminal where it's so difficult to transit through. It nearly killed me getting to the gate on the way out and it was no better on the way back. As you asked :-) a review/complaint I put together:

Terminal 2 - This Terminal appears to have been deliberately designed to make things as difficult as possible for passengers to negotiate. If you are not young and fit I would suggest you avoid it. I have some mobility issues and I found this Terminal difficult in the extreme. Plenty of room in Car Park then lifts take you to area out in front of Terminal Building. When you enter you are met by automatic check-in machines with desks behind but no staff to help you find out what you need to do. I decided to avoid the machines and eventually find the EVA Air Business Class check-in desk. Staff here were excellent. I make my way to Security. Despite being very quiet, passengers are still made to snake through the movable barriers forcing them to walk about 20 times further than necessary. Fairly quick getting through the checks and then passports. Now the problems really begin. The signs inside the Terminal building are unclear and totally inadequate. I eventually work out I now need to go down a level. The lifts throughout the terminal are generally tucked away, difficult to find, and at least half appear to be marked 'Staff Only'. At the next level I again can't find any clear signs to show how to get to the Business Lounge, which I was told was near the gate. The design of this level is awful. There are no clear, easy routes to get across. Passengers are forced to walk much further than necessary. It appears to be in order to make them go as close to as many shops as possible. I eventually find the exit I need in the far corner. I now have to go down yet another level. I am now faced with a lifeless corridor. It is a very, very long walk from here to the gates and the Lounge. There are some moving walkways. By the time I get close to the gates I am in pain. I now discover I have to go back up a level to get to the Lounge. Unbelievable! I then have to go back down and walk a little further to get to the gate when it's time to board. Boarding was shambolic. No information given. One mad scrum and slow moving queues. Arriving back in the Terminal was no better. On leaving the plane I have to immediately use a small, slow lift to go up a level. There is then quite a walk. I then have to find a lift to go up another level. The lifts are an even further walk, with confusing signs and most of the lifts marked 'Staff Only' or 'Buggies Only'. The sign in the lift says I need Level 3 for Arrivals but there are only buttons for 0 and 2! There is then a very, very, very long walk and the need to use yet another lift. I eventually get to Passport Control. I have a Priority Lane pass but there are very few staff in it so there is quite a wait. Through Customs then outside to find the way to taxis. I find I have to walk to the other end of the concourse and go down a level in the lift. I then have another quite long walk to the taxi queue. There are plenty of taxis for the number of people waiting but only one member of Airport staff doing the taxi bookings. A long wait. I have travelled a great deal over many years and Heathrow T2 is, without doubt, the worst one I have gone through in terms of access, passenger convenience and ease of use. I find it staggering that it has been expensively re-designed very recently and this is the result. I shall be doing all I can to avoid using it

Edited by davidge, Today, 09:02 PM.

I started a new topic regarding your detailed report of your problems with Terminal 2 at Heathrow

and with me flying with Thai Airways in little over 3 weeks it's a little bit alarming at what i have to

look forward to.

It will be the first time i have used Terminal 2 and your report is very off putting to say the least.

Although i will check-in online looks like looks like i will be doing a lot of walking and using lifts.

Think i will need to allow about 6 hours if it's that bad a Terminal and it's the first time i have heard

of these problems. I know there were big problems with Terminal 5 but this comes as a surprise to

here about Terminal2

Anyone else using Eva or Thai or any other airlines using Terminal 2 i would be very interested to

here your reviews or complaints.

I used T2 earlier this year for EVA flights from/to BKK. 

OP Rainsberger is 100% accurate in his description.  Signage from the entrance onwards was very poor, the level changes and lifts were tedious, the walks were extremely  long (especially on departure),  ending at a gate nowhere near any refreshments. Passengers themselves were expected to operate non-intuitive machines to get their own baggage labels; ditto check-in.  Airport staff on hand to help, but in insufficient numbers -> long queues.  Barely enough seats in the gate area too.

I was travelling Elite class - I doubt that it's worse for Economy or better for Business Class - lack of seats and the walk   are classless.  I'm locked into EVA (air miles), but definitely not looking forward to my next UK trip in September.  After that, I may well switch airlines, but there's little choice for direct BKK-LHR, LHR-BKK flights.    

What is it with those lifts[elevators] they don't seem to go anywhere and those electronic check in machines I think ours is the only country that's got them only in the UK. 

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

I don't mind you quoting me :-) It will be interesting to hear other opinions.

Next time I use EVA, I'm going to swallow my pride and ask for assistance through the airport. The Eva check-in lass did offer this time. She obviously knew I'd have problems. I should have accepted.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Being honest I think its just another Terminal. Fair distance to the two Gates I've used but I've walked a lot further at other Airports

I'm going to buck the trend here and say I like terminal 2. I'm glad Eva have moved away from 3. For me facilities are much better and the walk to the flight gate is about the same

Some tips for OP ( the best I can remember):

Eva use a check-in zone to the left as you leave the car park lifts. Either A or B I can't remember.

After check-in Security is to the right - in the middle of check-in.

When you exit Security you are on a gallery area. You'll see a seating area down below. You need to go down to that level.

You then need to go across to the diagonally opposite corner. There's no easy route through the seats so you're probably best going around the outside.

When you get to that corner you should see the signs for the gate you want - go down another level. There is then a very long walk. A couple of moving walkways for part of the way. You eventually get to another area where the gates are.

It took me about 45 minutes to get from exiting security to arriving at the gate area - that included getting lost a couple of times. I do have some problems walking that far as my back is buggered. I was in a lot of pain by the end.

I am somewhere between, dont think its great but my experience haven't been as bad as the quote from the op, very long walk from check-in to the gates, signage isn't great, check in is a bit hit and miss, done it twice first time a bit of a shamble second time quick and easy, with plenty of staff on hand to help.  I travel from Yorkshire and a bit of a nervous traveller so get there earlier and there is little pre-check in to sit or have a meal (Costa and a pub) more choice in terminal 3 unless i missed and i think the business lounge for EVA (Air Canada) is style over comfort.  Plus sides clean nice central area, gates were fine, passport control coming back was good plenty of electronic passport booths/gates so quick exit.

I'm going to buck the trend here and say I like terminal 2. I'm glad Eva have moved away from 3. For me facilities are much better and the walk to the flight gate is about the same

Yep

Totally agree

Used Terminal 2 six times already flying to Thailand with EVA

no problems at all

I prefer the new terminal to terminal 3

A great help for many is the interactive map (most) major airport has on their home page

http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/getting-around-heathrow/airport-maps

Used T2 a number of times, both in transit and arriving/departing and can't say I noted anyhing special just a big busy international terminal.

I don't mind you quoting me :-) It will be interesting to hear other opinions.

Next time I use EVA, I'm going to swallow my pride and ask for assistance through the airport. The Eva check-in lass did offer this time. She obviously knew I'd have problems. I should have accepted.

Hi Guys

Just wish to point out that the original quote is from BM davidge above and because of his very

detailed account of Terminal 2 i decided to start this new topic.

It's my reply to his quote underneath to save any confusion am finding the replys very interesting so far.

A great help for many is the interactive map (most) major airport has on their home page

http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/getting-around-heathrow/airport-maps

Used T2 a number of times, both in transit and arriving/departing and can't say I noted anyhing special just a big busy international terminal.

Even after recently using the Terminal, I find their maps about as much use as a chocolate teapot :-)

The problem with T2 is that although check-in is at Heathrow, the gates are somewhere in Essex. Definitely not a terminal you want arrive a little late to.

I used T2 earlier this year for EVA flights from/to BKK. 

OP Rainsberger is 100% accurate in his description.  Signage from the entrance onwards was very poor, the level changes and lifts were tedious, the walks were extremely  long (especially on departure),  ending at a gate nowhere near any refreshments. Passengers themselves were expected to operate non-intuitive machines to get their own baggage labels; ditto check-in.  Airport staff on hand to help, but in insufficient numbers -> long queues.  Barely enough seats in the gate area too.

I was travelling Elite class - I doubt that it's worse for Economy or better for Business Class - lack of seats and the walk   are classless.  I'm locked into EVA (air miles), but definitely not looking forward to my next UK trip in September.  After that, I may well switch airlines, but there's little choice for direct BKK-LHR, LHR-BKK flights.

Same, travelled EVA last month for the first time and my travel companion needed wheel chair assistance, i thought it would never end like a bloody route march.

Flew Thai In cattle class at Xmas

Check in confusing...... Must get luggage labels from self service machine 1st

Then queue for desk to drop bags etc.... Even though checked in online

A lot of confused passengers wandering around

Security was ok

Shops same as anywhere

Walk to the gate is very long way

Don't leave the bar at the last minute or you may miss flight

The problem with T2 is that although check-in is at Heathrow, the gates are somewhere in Essex. Definitely not a terminal you want arrive a little late to.

LOL

Sums it up nicely! :-)

The walk will do you good decent exercise lol

No decent pub,there lies my problem

theres a weatherspoons pre customs

I'm a bit bemused. If It was Terminal One and you were a local business traveller who was walking an age every day I could understand the comments but for most its 3-4 times a year, hardly a deal breaker

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Just completed my Thai Airways trips today via Terminal 2 and in view of the bad reports here

i myself found it no problem at all infact turned out quite easy.

Although the check-in machines were a challege but i got help from other travellers and staff

and got through this OK.

The duty free shops were well mapped out and on two floors again no problems, but on way to the

gate for departure i was suprised why we seemed to go down the the long esgalator only to come

back up again did not understand this though.

But on return to the UK this morning all seemed rather easy so i find Terminal 2 no bigger problem

then Terminal's 3 and 4 All in all found Terminal 2 pretty good and of course new.

1. Terminal 3 has a post office where you can get an IDP on the spot as long as you have the photos.

2. Terminal 2 Not all lifts go to the level where you can get National Express coaches.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't care for terminal 3 much but Terminal 2 is much worse with the long distance to the satellite B gates Eva uses. Think it's a shorter distance on train ride between A and B gates in T5 than the walk in T2

When I returned from LoS in April, the moving walkways were not working ...

I understand that BAA have delayed extending the terminal to where the closed Terminal 1 currently stands a HUGE mistake ...

If you're in Business Eva use the Air Canada lounge which is out at the B gates, but that's the worst airline lounge I've been in for many years.

Just booked another trip with Eva next month so will have to suffer T2 again

Never thought I'd be looking back with fond memories of T3 !

SJL

Archived