IGNORED

Is the Marriott the best choice if you have the budget

tobeornottobe

Like he issue of how attractive a girl is, I think this is another area where opinions can differ. What you describe as "outdated, worn and last century," I would describe as "more traditional Thai."

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Hilton and Holiday Inn. I just see them as completely different designs of hotel -- they are sleek and modern, but, with all of the chrome and glass, some might call the rooms antiseptic or cold. Frankly, there's not much difference between the room in the Hilton in Pattaya and one in a big city just about anywhere in the world. The Marriott, on the other hand, has a very distinctive "Thai" feel to me, given all of the dark wood.

I can DEFINITELY see your point, and -- as noted -- I love the Hilton and Holiday Inn, too. In fact, I will spend half of my next trip at the Hilton, with the other half TBD -- either the Holiday Inn or the Sheraton (which is much more isolated, but a FANTASTIC property that is more like the Marriott, IMHO)

To clarify my point, "more traditional Thai" should have nothing in common with "outdated, torn, and last century". I believe the furniture in room has been used for 10+ years. The TV in the rooms are some 5 inch thick 32" plasma made in the last century (or early last decade). It doesn't have a decent picture quality. Just to replace the furniture and put a nice 37" or 42" LED TV in each room will not cost much to the hotel (compare to the room rate they charge to the guest). Just to replace those two will make the room much more better and still have the "Thai" feel.

I have stayed there five out of my six trips.  I have tried most of the 1 bedroom suites on the 10th floor.  Comfortable, great view.  I like the breakfast, club lounge, pool, and easy access to second road and beach road. 

Tried the suite in the Dusit D2 (now the Baraquda) -- in poor condition, poor room layout, shower didn't work well.  Will not be back.

I would be willing to try more places if I had longer trips, but that never seems to happen for me. 

I have stayed there five out of my six trips. I have tried most of the 1 bedroom suites on the 10th floor. Comfortable, great view. I like the breakfast, club lounge, pool, and easy access to second road and beach road.

Tried the suite in the Dusit D2 (now the Baraquda) -- in poor condition, poor room layout, shower didn't work well. Will not be back.

I would be willing to try more places if I had longer trips, but that never seems to happen for me.

I have never stayed in the one bedroom suite. I guess Marriott must keep the suites in better condition than the seaview or garden view room. They upgraded me to the terrace suite once, but I move back to the seaview room before I unpack. Although the suite is way better than the rooms but a lots of Mosquitos in the suite.

Baraquda has done the renovation after they switched to Accor late last year. The stays I had in last October and this Febtuary, everything works in my suites/rooms. I would not say the lay out is poor but not everyone like to have a jacuzzi in the middle of the bedroom!

I have never stayed in the one bedroom suite. I guess Marriott must keep the suites in better condition than the seaview or garden view room. They upgraded me to the terrace suite once, but I move back to the seaview room before I unpack. Although the suite is way better than the rooms but a lots of Mosquitos in the suite.

Baraquda has done the renovation after they switched to Accor late last year. The stays I had in last October and this Febtuary, everything works in my suites/rooms. I would not say the lay out is poor but not everyone like to have a jacuzzi in the middle of the bedroom!

Furniture in in the pictures looks the same as when I stayed there.  Undersized bed, no desk to work at, nowhere to sit down to eat if you order room service.

Have they fixed the rate the tub fills up?  When I stayed there in November 2013 I think it would have taken 1 hour to fill the bathtub.

I stayed in the Marriott during my last stay and it was fantastic, Location is perfect, Oasis type feel to the Pool area even though its so central and the food was great. However I got a great deal and the cost to stay there for me next trip is 3500 baht a night, I can afford it but there are so many hotels available at half this rate that seem almost as good

Areca

Page 10

August suites

See me spring too

The stay

LK hotels

Are any of these hotels even better than the Marriott?

None of the hotels listed above are in the same league as the Marriott. They all are nice hotels, offering a comfortable stay and value for cost, but none are five star quality. The Marriott has a great location, one of the best pools in Pattaya, is girl friendly, has a great breakfast buffet, top notch fitness club and spa and attached to a mall with shops, restaurants and entertainment. If you can swing executive club privileges for free, its a great perk; free drinks, food, newspapers, nice place to relax before hitting the town at night !

Furniture in in the pictures looks the same as when I stayed there. Undersized bed, no desk to work at, nowhere to sit down to eat if you order room service.

Have they fixed the rate the tub fills up? When I stayed there in November 2013 I think it would have taken 1 hour to fill the bathtub.

What are you talking about? We are talking about the D2/Baraquda almost right across Marriott, right? The room/suites are just the same. Nothing changed! Please see the pictures. The bed is a Queen size bed. Behind the bed is the desk with electric sockets. The living room has a bar table and stools (my picture only show a little). It is good enough for 2 people to have a 3 course meal. The jacuzzi is kind of big. You could do threesome in there without any problem. I would not say an hour but 25 to 30 minutes to fill it up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What are you talking about? We are talking about the D2/Baraquda almost right across Marriott, right? The room/suites are just the same. Nothing changed! Please see the pictures. The bed is a queen size bed. Behind the bed is the desk with electric sockets. The living room has a bar table and stools (my picture only show a little). It is good enough for 2 people to have a 3 course meal. The jacuzzi is kind of big. You could do threesome in there without any problem. I would not say an hour but 25 to 30 minutes to fill it up.

Yes, that's the same place.  Totally disfunctional furniture in an attempt to be modern.  I had the two story suite. Yes, from the pictures, nothing has changed from when it was the D2.  I had a shower with two heads, but one was broken and the shower door let the water stream into the hallway and down the stairs.  The room didn't have a safe until I complained and they carried one into the room and installed it.  Would not stay there again.

Yes, that's the same place. Totally disfunctional furniture in an attempt to be modern. I had the two story suite. Yes, from the pictures, nothing has changed from when it was the D2. I had a shower with two heads, but one was broken and the shower door let the water stream into the hallway and down the stairs. The room didn't have a safe until I complained and they carried one into the room and installed it. Would not stay there again.

I have stayed in the two story suite too. I have picture and video in my old smartphone. I need a little time to seach it and post it later.

But why did you say they have undersize bed?! The bed is the same as the 1 bedroom suite a Queen size bed. And why did you say no place to eat?! The bar table is bigger than the 1 bedroom suite and good enough for 2 people to have 3 course meal together!

Staying at the Marriott with a very good view of the sea with a balcony on the 10th floor seems to be the way to go for a month at a time, especially it the points can be taken into account which will incur and the following month should be even cheaper then the first month

No mention of the following which I believe are in the same league as the Marriott:

Dusit at the Dolphin Circle, north end of Beach Read,

Amari, also at the north end of Beach Road

Montien, Beach Road just north of Pattaya Klang.

Sabai Express, beach side of 2nd Road north of Big C

Any thoughts on these.  I do not know the slow season prices

Dusit is not girl friendly. I have not stayed in Amari and Montien. Sabai Empress I think it is only a 3 star hotel.

I'd be keen to know if this is confirmed re being girl friendly? Got a lot of points with Marriott might be a good opp to use them.

Thanks

Marriot is girl friendly. I sat next to the GM in biz class on a flight from KL to Australia 15 months ago. Nice guy. He said no problem if the girl has ID.

No mention of the following which I believe are in the same league as the Marriott:

Dusit at the Dolphin Circle, north end of Beach Read,

Amari, also at the north end of Beach Road

Montien, Beach Road just north of Pattaya Klang.

Sabai Express, beach side of 2nd Road north of Big C

Any thoughts on these.  I do not know the slow season prices

I have stayed at The Montien with Su ex Shark Bar. Great pool and gardens. Killer buffet breakfast. Tired old room unfortunately. No insects up high. Get higher man.  Amari looks wicked.

I have stayed in the two story suite too. I have picture and video in my old smartphone. I need a little time to seach it and post it later.

But why did you say they have undersize bed?! The bed is the same as the 1 bedroom suite a queen size bed. And why did you say no place to eat?! The bar table is bigger than the 1 bedroom suite and good enough for 2 people to have 3 course meal together!

The 1 bedroom marriott suite on the 10 floor has a king size bed.  Rooms are in good condition because they don't get as much use.

When I stayed at the Dusit 1 bedroom, 2 floor suite, they only had one chair in front of the bar top table.  Two people could eat there, but one would be standing. The couch was stained.  The bed had no real night stand so you were setting your phone on the edge of the leather wraparound.

The 1 bedroom marriott suite on the 10 floor has a king size bed. Rooms are in good condition because they don't get as much use.

When I stayed at the Dusit 1 bedroom, 2 floor suite, they only had one chair in front of the bar top table. Two people could eat there, but one would be standing. The couch was stained. The bed had no real night stand so you were setting your phone on the edge of the leather wraparound.

I got you point now. But actually the beds are all king size in the suites in Baraquda/D2. The bed you have in the suites in Marriott must be king+ bed.

I have platinum status with starwood, and gold with Marriott but i'm little hesistant to stay at Sheraton and burn $$ on taxis to go back forth between hotel/bars but do anyone have good opinions on sheraton's gym?  i can see that marriott is in heart of Pattaya, and i will have access to executive lounge.. can anyone tell me if lounge is good?

I have platinum status with starwood, and gold with Marriott but i'm little hesistant to stay at Sheraton and burn $$ on taxis to go back forth between hotel/bars but do anyone have good opinions on sheraton's gym?  i can see that marriott is in heart of Pattaya, and i will have access to executive lounge.. can anyone tell me if lounge is good?

The rooms I booked came with the lounge benefits.  I was told that I could do either the lounge breakfast or use the restaurant buffet for breakfast.  I always picked the restaurant.  For happy hour (I think 5:30-7:30), the lounge is great for a "heavy snack" - anything from pizza to chicken skewers and the like, and there is a waitress who brings out regular or alcoholic beverages.

For Gold members, you can check into the hotel at the desk in the air conditioned lounge area.  

I have platinum status with starwood, and gold with Marriott but i'm little hesistant to stay at Sheraton and burn $$ on taxis to go back forth between hotel/bars but do anyone have good opinions on sheraton's gym? i can see that marriott is in heart of Pattaya, and i will have access to executive lounge.. can anyone tell me if lounge is good?

I try to give you as much objective details as I could. If you read all of the posts in this thread, you would see BMs look at thinks differently. In Pattaya, I have only stay in Hitlon and Hard Rock with Lounge access. I would say Marriott is better than Hard Rock but not as good as Hilton.

Breakfast: I have only have breakfast in the lounge twice because the Garden Cafe was full. I believe you could only order Continental breakfast. The food came from the same Kitchen, but you will miss all of the Thai, Japanese, and Indian food in the Garden Cafe. Both time, I was eating ALONE in the lounge the whole time. So, if you want to have a quiet breakfast, it is the place.

Tea Time: Nothing much to mention about. Just basic cookies and sandwich.

Cocktail Hour: from 5:30 to 7:30, you could have snack and drinks in the lounge. They only have 2 hot items (wings, Spring rolls, ribs, satay...etc). 1 soup. Bread, pizza, and salad are also served. Drinks are soft drink, beer, juice, and wine only. Once I asked the girl, you could not it call it cocktail hour but not serving cocktails. Then, the girl made me long island ice tea!

Sweet Hour: from 7:30 to 9:30, they serve some Thai sweets and dessert.

Staffs: They are wonderful and they are HOTTTT! I remember only 4 girls works in the lounge. Their names are Kat, Ink, Bee, and Num (funny names and easy to remember). I would give Kat, and Ink an 8. Bee is a little short but I still give her a 7 and Num also. After you stay there for more than a couple times, they will remember your name the time you step foot in the lounge!

If you are Gold Marriott member and stayed in the JW Marriott or Renaissance in Bangkok before, please don't compare those with Pattaya Marriott. The lounge in JW Marriott is about 4 times bigger and Renaissance is about 2 times bigger. More food selection during breakfast, and cocktail hours. Drinks during cocktails hour are real cocktails in those hotels.

Sound like Marriott hold an edge over Sheraton. Don't want to deal with taxi mafia between Sheraton and action spots. Hopefully they could finish with renovate few rooms before arrival.

Nice to enjoy free foods and booze also Marriott's price look good in mid oct compare to Sheraton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have stayed at the Sheraton once and the Marriott multiple times.  I love both hotels (as well as the Hilton and Holiday Inn).

The Marriott KILLS it in the location category, but I think the Marriott has perhaps the best location in Pattaya.

The Sheraton is a BEAUTIFUL property -- it's like staying at a resort, with Pattaya a short -- but expensive -- taxi ride away.  I think they generally hit me for 200-250 baht each way, but I will not take a moto taxi, so I had to get a songteaw or taxi each time.  If you're willing to ride a moto taxi, I'm sure you can cut the taxi costs dramatically.  There is a taxi stand right across the street from the Sheraton's entrance, so easy to snag a ride.  

Also, the hotel has a free shuttle bus to Central Festival that runs throughout the day, but I think the last ride in is at/around 9 p.m. (and you can catch it back to the Sheraton from Central, but last pick-up is at/around 10 p.m.). From Central Festival, catch a 10 baht ride towards Soi 6 or walk through to Beach Road and catch the baht bus to Walking Street.  A little more complex to get to LK Metro from there, but I'm sure somebody could map a cheap and easy route (up to Soi Buakhao and then baht bus to LK Metro?)

I am NOT Starwood Platinum, but they upgraded my room when I stayed there -- huge room, that opened onto a sweet deck, that then opened right out to one of the pools.  Easily the nicest room I have had in Pattaya (but I don't stay in suites) and the property was nicer than anywhere else in Pattaya that I have stayed.  Just fantastic.

Sheraton also isn't easy on the "I'm gonna go get something cheap to eat" category.  I'm sure there are TONS of places nearby, but Hell if I could come close to finding them, and I wasn't eager to set out on a hike up and down the hills to find one.  The in-hotel restaurants are good, but pricey.

I stayed there on points -- 40,000 for 5 nights -- so that offset the taxi and food expenses for me.

I can't speak to the gym at the Sheraton, but the Marriott is reputed to have a very nice gym (I checked it out, but I'm a lazy fucker).  Wjen I was at the Sheraton, I was recovering from an emergency appendectomy, so couldn't work out even if I wanted to.

Given your platinum status, I don't know that I would write it off immediately just because you're gonna get hit with some nasty taxi fares.

Here's the key for me -- if you have a specific TG (or 2) that you plan to see in Pattaya (or a TGF), then the Sheraton could be a great choice.  If you're running different girls in and out and doing STs back at your room, then it's not.  

Since it doesn't get much "coverage" on PA, here are a couple of photos of the Sheraton:

- view back up to the lobby from down by the pools:

sheraton grounds and lobby.jpg

- view from one of the pools:

sheraton pool.jpg

- the deck attached to my room:

sheraton patio.jpg

Latest new from Pattaya Marriott Resort:

For those BMs like to have the "old Thai feel". The management hear your voice. The renovation/maintenance project has been done. They only did the hotel lobby. Haven't done anything to the rooms. So, next time you stay in Marriott. You will see the same old furniture and the 5" thick 32" plasma TV.

I stayed in the Marriott during my last stay and it was fantastic, Location is perfect, Oasis type feel to the Pool area even though its so central and the food was great. However I got a great deal and the cost to stay there for me next trip is 3500 baht a night, I can afford it but there are so many hotels available at half this rate that seem almost as good

Areca

Page 10

August suites

See me spring too

The stay

LK hotels

Are any of these hotels even better than the Marriott?

LK hotels are all good & more monger type than the Marriott.

IMO the LK Empress & LK Renaissance are the best 2.

As for Marriott hotels the Pattaya one is not that great.

If you like quality the Siam@Siam hotel is IMO superb.

:ThumbUp6:  :ThumbUp6:  :ThumbUp6:  :ThumbUp6:  :ThumbUp6:

Archived