Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Do you get interrogated every time you come back from Thailand to the US?

pattayaguy1

And the context is.....we elect those bastards into office where they'll be paid big bucks just to enact legislation to screw us all . 

my problem is the guys I vote for haven't been getting elected lately, we have a bunch of lying scumbags running the country...

govt is the only growth industry it would seem these days...

lots and lots of people getting rich doing basically nothing...   fuckers...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get interrogated every single time when I return to Canada. One year I flew thru the US and I got it in the US and Canada. The US checking caused me to miss my flight and I was lucky there was another one that day but it was 5 hours. This year when I bitched why always me she disappeared with my passport and ticket for a half an hour then took another half an hour with the checking and questions. taught me a lesson to shutup next time.

I got it in the US as well as Canada 2 years ago as well, but they said it was a passport issue, spent 10 minutes in a back room, they checked over my passport and sent me on my way. Then I get it again in Canada. I asked the guy, why me? I was polite.

He said you are coming from drug source countries. Again, I have nothing to hide, so off I go.

Single male traveller back into Canada from Thailand leads to a secondary inspection plain and simple. I was told by a Customs officer this is the standard protocol. The only exception would be in Vancouver where South Asia travellers are more common. When I asked why, I was told because Thailand is considered a high risk country for drug trafficking. Of course, this is total bullshit based on how much time and effort they spend searching my computer and phone.... Like if drug was hidden on my computer hard drive.

For you maybe. I have returned to Canada multiple times and it lead to the exit, plain and simple.

I have never been sent to secondary inspection, both pre Nexus and post Nexus so this fact is, plain and simple, not a fact.

They are sending you, not everyone. 

While leaving, just before boarding,at YVR. The custum girl asked if she can see my passport and BP. Then how much cash I have with me. I know the 10k limit, I told her that I have 7k. I has asked to follow her to the inspection room. In the way she called for backup. Another 4 guys arrived.I was asked to empty my pokets. They went through my carry on piece by piece, cellphone and ipad checked in details. Stupid annoying quedtions were asked such as if my wife knows I am going to Thailand (yes,with her blessing. Surrprise and envy in there eyes. May be I am a lucky guy),If i know people in Thailand....MOney counted...now how come a painter can spend 500/day, where did I get the cash from? Where is the bank receipt?

I was let go after 20 mn. Fuck that

I got hassled the first few times, then I got Nexus (which includes Global Entry). No problems since then but I know it can randomly happen at any time. Once since I've had it I got pulled over driving across the border into the U.S. on a day trip. I think that was one of the random ones. They just asked me general questions so it didn't seem like they had anything specific on their minds that day. 

One thing that doesn't make any sense to me at all is twice I've had my checked bag searched transiting through ORD on the way back. "Transiting"........I wasn't stopping.......just taking a connecting flight to Canada. I didn't see or touch my bag in the U.S. I only found out when I saw the TSA card inside my bag at home notifying me it had been searched. What possible reason is there for this? They could clearly see the bag was checked through and not stopping in the US. 

I got hassled the first few times, then I got Nexus (which includes Global Entry). No problems since then but I know it can randomly happen at any time. Once since I've had it I got pulled over driving across the border into the U.S. on a day trip. I think that was one of the random ones. They just asked me general questions so it didn't seem like they had anything specific on their minds that day. 

One thing that doesn't make any sense to me at all is twice I've had my checked bag searched transiting through ORD on the way back. "Transiting"........I wasn't stopping.......just taking a connecting flight to Canada. I didn't see or touch my bag in the U.S. I only found out when I saw the TSA card inside my bag at home notifying me it had been searched. What possible reason is there for this? They could clearly see the bag was checked through and not stopping in the US. 

tsa is security, not customs... 

they check bags sometimes obviously.  I get those things in my luggage frequently.

an aside, once when waiting to change planes in Tokyo on the way home, they called my name and they had one of my checked bags there, I had two butane lighters in the luggage which they confiscated.  had no idea you weren't allowed to have those!

tsa is security, not customs... 

they check bags sometimes obviously.  I get those things in my luggage frequently.

an aside, once when waiting to change planes in Tokyo on the way home, they called my name and they had one of my checked bags there, I had two butane lighters in the luggage which they confiscated.  had no idea you weren't allowed to have those!

Still seems odd to me. My bag was priority tagged both times since I was flying in J. I would think there would be better things to check other than a suitcase that will be out of the country in 2-3 hours and never in the hands of the person who checked it and is

flying on the same flight with it. What possible security concerns are there compared to the 1000's of other bags that are arriving and staying in the country?

While leaving, just before boarding,at YVR. The custum girl asked if she can see my passport and BP. Then how much cash I have with me. I know the 10k limit, I told her that I have 7k. I has asked to follow her to the inspection room. In the way she called for backup. Another 4 guys arrived.I was asked to empty my pokets. They went through my carry on piece by piece, cellphone and ipad checked in details. Stupid annoying quedtions were asked such as if my wife knows I am going to Thailand (yes,with her blessing. Surrprise and envy in there eyes. May be I am a lucky guy),If i know people in Thailand....MOney counted...now how come a painter can spend 500/day, where did I get the cash from? Where is the bank receipt?

i always ask for and keep my bank receipts with my cash.

For you maybe. I have returned to Canada multiple times and it lead to the exit, plain and simple.

I have never been sent to secondary inspection, both pre Nexus and post Nexus so this fact is, plain and simple, not a fact.

They are sending you, not everyone.

And where did I say everyone? Using the term "leads to" does not mean everyone. Good for you if you zip through Customs. It does not change the fact I was told by the officer that secondary interviews were standard protocol. And just to state another fact, I have travelled all around the world on business and have cleared customs over 200 times in 30 years.... Only time I have been directed to secondary search is when getting back from LOS.... It is what it is.

Still seems odd to me. My bag was priority tagged both times since I was flying in J. I would think there would be better things to check other than a suitcase that will be out of the country in 2-3 hours and never in the hands of the person who checked it and is

flying on the same flight with it. What possible security concerns are there compared to the 1000's of other bags that are arriving and staying in the country?

it's standard procedure, just like we have to go through security again when changing planes in Narita/wherever on the way home, we've all been through security and on a plane and yet we have to go through the whole rigamarole again even though we have never left the secure environment.

I agree with you, but that's how it works.

it's standard procedure, just like we have to go through security again when changing planes in Narita/wherever on the way home, we've all been through security and on a plane and yet we have to go through the whole rigamarole again even though we have never left the secure environment.

I agree with you, but that's how it works.

The difference is we all go through security. Bags are randomly or otherwise selected in the back for inspection. I use a TSA approved lock - which was opened and a card placed inside my bag notifying me that it had been opened and searched by TSA agents. This has to be a very low percentage of bags that go through this process! 

I would guess they do some sort of profiling on the bags - at least I would expect they do. A bag tagged from BKK could certainly be a trigger. But, would they then not see it's a) priority tagged & b) transiting right out of the country? What 'security' risk is it to the U.S. under these circumstances? If you're the TSA and you're pulling out 1 out of 500 bags for a security inspection (pulled that number out of my ass, no idea what the actual number might be) wouldn't it make more sense to pull out a bag that's more shady or suspicious looking for whatever reason? 

I would guess your lighters came up on an xray. AFAIK bags are x-rayed at various points so I don't think that's the same situation either. 

Anyway, just shooting the shit about this stuff. It was a few years ago and I'm not worked up about it.........just thought it made no sense. 

totally agree, lots of shit about security makes no sense and is a huge waste of resources...

I don't know what the actual procedure is on the bags in transit when they are being taken off one plane and put on another, but mine got xrayed in Narita that time, obviously.

I frequently find those little TSA cards in my luggage, traveling domestic in the US...

and all bags are xrayed before getting on the plane at the point of origin obviously. 

What if you're traveling with say 5000 in cash that you made from a under the table job. You've been saving a little each week for this trip and customs ask for a bank receipt that you do not have. What will happen? Can they seize that money from you even though it's under the $10,000 limit?

What if you're traveling with say 5000 in cash that you made from a under the table job. You've been saving a little each week for this trip and customs ask for a bank receipt that you do not have. What will happen? Can they seize that money from you even though it's under the $10,000 limit?

No, they cannot seize your 5000 in cash.

If you are so worried about the cash use your ATM card in the LOS. Yes you will pay the ATM fees but nothing to worry about if you do this. The $10000 limit is an outdated rule, I carry a couple of credit cards that have $20000 plus limits so how does carrying $10000 in cash stop me from doing something illegal when I have 40 to 50k in credit in my pocket.

Some day this will be updated but just something to live with for now.

This thread made me smile, more than a few on PA deride we Aussies, but we rarely have any problems with our Border Protection and Customs officers on re-entry.

On my last return the Customs bloke asked me if I had enjoyed my trip, to which I replied "yeah it was great mate",  then he told he flies over himself a couple of times a year.  

We both laughed, it's almost a national expectation for Aussie men to fly to LoS for a fucking holiday.

If you are so worried about the cash use your ATM card in the LOS. Yes you will pay the ATM fees but nothing to worry about if you do this. The $10000 limit is an outdated rule, I carry a couple of credit cards that have $20000 plus limits so how does carrying $10000 in cash stop me from doing something illegal when I have 40 to 50k in credit in my pocket.

Some day this will be updated but just something to live with for now.

I agree the $10k thing is out of date. But your credit cards leave an electronic trail that you friends(?) in Homeland Security can track. Not so if you bring in a big wad of cash.

Completely wrong on the laptop....customs can power up and look at installed items on a laptop...believe it or not some operating programs are export and import restricted. The ITAR laws also cover computer based communications applications. Read the fine print on the placards posted in all US Airports....as a traveler passing thru any airport in the US you are subject to search and potential seizure.

I agree US Customs has the authority to search and seize a laptop. My comment was pertaining to TSA - which does NOT have that authority. OP was originally complaining about TSA, though later indicated he meant Customs & Immigration.

After 16 trips in 6 years, yesterday was the first time I was asked more than one question at Customs in Houston IAH.  "How are you?"  "Where are you coming from?"  "Why do you go there?"  "Do you go often?" "How many bags do you have with you?" "Welcome back."  At last check point where they pick up Customs slip, "Why did you say you go to Thailand?"  They looked at where I was from and asked, "What do you do there?"  I could not resist and said, "I live there!!!"  Then I told them my field of work and employer, "Oh, have a good day!!"  Never have had my bags checked, either.  I've also been to Costa Rica at least 8 times in the past and never asked questions.  Costa Rica Customs has asked me once upon arrival what I was doing there?  "Fucking your chicas" is what I wanted to say. 

Never at SFO, you must be doing something that raises a flag for them.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

• 2 weeks later...

They give me a hard time every time I go thru customs. They ask me all sorts of questions about drugs. Always search my things. I did go to a high traffic country though. I just didn't like when they told me they were going to make me miss my flight. Once they even told me they had me under surveillance the whole trip. They knew everything I did and asked questions about everyone I talked to. I'm clean and would never use that stuff. But it just goes to show. If I had been dirty I was caught.

While I am always polite and courteous while in customs since I know I have very few rights I am not sure I could have held a straight face with those comments. I probably would have double over laughing my ass off.

Treat a Lady like a Whore, and a Whore like a Lady and you will never go wrong!

Oh hell yes they can!

There are countless stories of cash and other assets being seized under federal forfeiture laws in airports and other places.

There was just a recent story with a quote from the DEA...

“We don’t have to prove that the person is guilty,” Sean Waite, the agent in charge at the DEA's Albuquerque's office, told the Journal. “It’s that the money is presumed to be guilty.”

Treat a Lady like a Whore, and a Whore like a Lady and you will never go wrong!

Some fucking free country you fellas live in !

Some fucking free country you fellas live in !

don't get me started... just had to come home due to our lovely IRS pulling shit...

cocksuckers in the USA govt are out of control...

Archived