IGNORED

Travel Insurance for Rental Mopeds/Scooters in Thailand

funky310

As previously mentioned on the forum, most travel insurances don't seem to cover riding a rental moped/scooter/motorbike whilst in Thailand, or if they do provide cover, it almost never includes third party liability if you hit someone or something (which is the most important part!). The rental companies also never seem to offer proper cover unless you hold a Thai driving licence.

Anyway, after winging it without insurance the last 2 times, I did some proper searching and finally found a UK company offering motorcycle travel insurance that covers rental scooters/bikes in Thailand.

(Holidaysafe). https://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/travel-insurance/motorcycle-travel-insurance.html

It is basically a typical fairly comprehensive travel insurance policy but with bold-on clauses for motorcycle use. It can cover entire motorcycle road trips on your own bike, but it also covers any bike rentals you might make during your trip. There is no cc limit, so you can ride/hire a big bike, provided you have the appropriate category of licence in your home country for whatever cc bike you ride in Thailand. It also covers legal advice and bail bonds etc, so it takes a lot of the worry out of any situation where you might get into an accident, particularly with a Thai. You can also choose from various options to tailor-make the exact cover that you need.

For a 40 year old UK resident with no pre-existing health conditions (i.e. me!), the premium is approximately 42.00 GBP for a 2 week stay.

I've not had to make a claim yet (touch wood) so I can't comment on their customer service, but the website quotation and booking process was quick, easy and efficient and the policy documents are relatively jargon free.

Don't forget that in addition to your correct category motorcycle licence from home, you also need an International Drivers Permit, which in the UK can be ordered from the AA or RAC for a small charge (under 10 GBP).

Happy biking guys!!

Experts warn that a laptop can seriously damage your sperm....

Although in my experience, not as much as sperm can damage your laptop!

Good advice.

Just don't hire a Yamaha Nouvo Elegance (135cc) or a Honda PCX (newer models 150cc).

Archived