Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai Air to go bankrupt?

davidge

The last time I flew biz class with them (from Zurich to Bangkok), they made you feel like they were doing you some sort of favour just by serving you.  Haven't used them since.  I think their cabin staff just manage to make it into the top ten these days - before it was always the top three or four.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Hope not I fly with them on the 8th Feb , They better have enough fuel and food to get me to bangkok lol

I fly with thai airways to on February 8 from Brussels to Bangkok and have another ticket for June booked and payed already so I hoop to its only rumors.

I mostly fly with them because there the only company that flys direct from Brussels to Bangkok and there days and hours just fits with the start and ending of my holiday at work so I don't lose any day.

Soi 6 professional butterfly

Even if it went bankrupt, doesn't mean they are going to stop flying. There were a few years a while back where just about all my flights were on one bankrupt airline or another.

and so did klm for a while stoped flying outside europe and varig brasilian is gone sas in fairly bad state,so it will be happen more often than before i thinn all italia is out of business to probably the greek national toand the list will be longer 

KLM stopped flying outside Europe, very new for me,when was that? WW2?

Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
Where there aren't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst;
For the temple-bells are callin', an' it's there that I would be,
By the old Moulmein Pagoda, looking lazy at the sea;

Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,

Do not think the powers of the nation would let this happen but thanks for the info I will not book a flight with Thai only a few days before I need the flight.

If this was to happen surely  another major airline would buy them up as they are in the super power star alliance.

Do not think the powers of the nation would let this happen but thanks for the info I will not book a flight with Thai only a few days before I need the flight.

If this was to happen surely  another major airline would buy them up as they are in the super power star alliance.

Thai law doesn't allow it.  It would have to be another Thai airline, or a new (Thai) company would have to be created first.

Thai Gov decided not to let it go bankrupt but major restructuring will take place including cutting 10% of its routes and selling some assets - here's a link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/26/thai-airways-restructuring-idUSL4N0V51ZP20150126

They talk about restructuring, always already suggest a relatively large problems. How do you start talking about losing lines does not bode well never anything good for the airline. Thai are not competitive because they are much more expensive flights and it will push them down.

Just talk! What else could they also leaders say, than efforts to reduce costs, etc bla bla bla ....

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Maybe they would make more money if they decide to fly to the biggest economy in the world again!

I thought they flew to China?

:-)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Maybe they would make more money if they decide to fly to the biggest economy in the world again!

I don't see many airlines looking to fly non-stop from the world's biggest economy to Thailand.  There must be a reason for that.

I don't see many airlines looking to fly non-stop from the world's biggest economy to Thailand. There must be a reason for that.

There are none. zero. Maybe Thailand needs to be more business centric for it to be noticed.

There are none. zero. Maybe Thailand needs to be more business centric for it to be noticed.

Maybe the folk at Thai Airways think the same about the US.  Didn't Singapore Airline fly non-stop to the US at one point?  

Give them ten years.

Maybe less if you elect another Bush ;-)

Their growth us slowing down.. Might take a while more.

Just yanking your chain. :-)

I'd much rather the West stayed ahead in general, and the U.S. being ahead of China is part of that.

I fear the East will overtake at some point, though China's inexorable rise has stalled of late.

Anyway, back to the main topic of the thread...

Be interesting to see which routes Thai drop and if they can stop the freebies to 'important' Thais.

They'd need to make London flights a lot cheaper for me to use them. Recently they've been 25% more expensive than their direct flight rivals EVA & BA for Business Class.

I used to always fly Thai Airways but the last few years there is so much more choices. In the past I didn't mind paying a little extra (say $100 to $200) for a full service carrier. but now the price difference is in the vicinity of $500 to $600 and sometimes even more. So now I can't justify paying that extra and fly with either Jetstar or Royal Brunie

"Growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional"

:ILoveSex1:

THAI do still fly to Los Angeles, according to their website.    http://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/plan_my_trip/international_destination.page?

Perhaps with having failed to sell their A340s, and the new low cost of fuel, they might resume flights to New York once again ?

The last time I flew biz class with them (from Zurich to Bangkok), they made you feel like they were doing you some sort of favour just by serving you.  Haven't used them since.  I think their cabin staff just manage to make it into the top ten these days - before it was always the top three or four.

Not me.  Last time I flew first class with them (from HKG to BKK and BKK to NRT), they made me feel like royalty. :-)  I loved it.

The ground staff and ground service was impeccable.  The cabin crew were fantastic.

I used to always fly Thai Airways but the last few years there is so much more choices. In the past I didn't mind paying a little extra (say $100 to $200) for a full service carrier. but now the price difference is in the vicinity of $500 to $600 and sometimes even more. So now I can't justify paying that extra and fly with either Jetstar or Royal Brunie

If you're in Sydney Emirates are far better and usually cost $200-$300 less. Keep in mind that till a few days ago the included baggage in Thai was only 20kg as well. No wonder every time I have used them their plane is empty. 

I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air.

Some details of routes to be axed:

The State Enterprise Policy Committee has approved in principle Thai Airways International's rehabilitation plan, which was discussed in a meeting on Monday chaired by the prime minister.

Measures will include a reduction of the airline's staffing by 5,000 and cancellation of its non-performing routes.

THAI is one of even troubled state enterprises. In the first nine months of 2014, the airline suffered losses of Bt9 billion. It recorded a loss of Bt12 billion in 2013.

The rehabilitation plan will see its workforce slashed from 25,000 to 20,000.

The BangkokJohannesburg route was already cancelled on January 15 and the BangkokMadrid, BangkokMoscow, BangkokLos Angeles routes are likely to be axed in the second quarter of this year.

Decisions on routes that do not make a profit but are considered to have potential will be made in the fourth quarter. They include Bangkok-Rome, Bangkok-Milan, Bangkok-Brussels, Bangkok-Brisbane, Bangkok-Sapporo, Bangkok-Colombo, Bangkok-Denpasar and Bangkok-Hyderabad.

Under the rehabilitation plan, THAI’s fleet will also be revised. It will sell 22 old aircraft and decommission 14 Boeing 747-400 and Airbus A 340-600 craft.

THAI also plans to sell its stakes in Nok Air, BAFS and Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport hotel. THAI holds a 39-percent stake in Nok Air, a 22.59-percent stake in BAFS and a 30-percent stake in Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport hotel. THAI also plans to sell its shares in the Amari Airport hotel and Royal Orchid Sheraton hotel as part of its business restructuring.

This is from The Nation today.

National airline to downsize and reduce routes

January 27, 2015 11:27 am
The State Enterprise Policy Committee has approved in principle Thai Airways International's rehabilitation plan, which was discussed in a meeting on Monday chaired by the prime minister.

Measures will include a reduction of the airline's staffing by 5,000 and cancellation of its non-performing routes.

THAI is one of even troubled state enterprises. In the first nine months of 2014, the airline suffered losses of Bt9 billion. It recorded a loss of Bt12 billion in 2013.

The rehabilitation plan will see its workforce slashed from 25,000 to 20,000.

The Bangkok Johannesburg route was already cancelled on January 15 and the Bangkok Madrid, Bangkok Moscow, Bangkok Los Angeles routes are likely to be axed in the second quarter of this year.

Decisions on routes that do not make a profit but are considered to have potential will be made in the fourth quarter. They include Bangkok-Rome, Bangkok-Milan, Bangkok-Brussels, Bangkok-Brisbane, Bangkok-Sapporo, Bangkok-Colombo, Bangkok-Denpasar and Bangkok-Hyderabad.

Under the rehabilitation plan, THAI’s fleet will also be revised. It will sell 22 old aircraft and decommission 14 Boeing 747-400 and Airbus A 340-600 craft.

THAI also plans to sell its stakes in Nok Air, BAFS and Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport hotel. THAI holds a 39-percent stake in Nok Air, a 22.59-percent stake in BAFS and a 30-percent stake in Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport hotel. THAI also plans to sell its shares in the Amari Airport hotel and Royal Orchid Sheraton hotel as part of its business restructuring.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/National-airline-to-downsize-and-reduce-routes-30252743.html

they started again after they struck a deal with air france .atleast southamerica was out for a few years,

Archived