IGNORED

The Concorde - could it come back?

Cph

I was watching TV today and they had something about the Concorde.

I wonder if the oil price could make a comeback possible? Apparently the technical problems weren't that big and it would be cool to cut the travel time in half (if it flew from CPH - BKK, fat chance) any ways do you think it possible to see it again?

Pussy always wins, it's undefeated

Concorde was one of the few things that made me feel proud to be British (I know it was Anglo-French). I can remember picking up some American passengers from Terminal 4 Heathrow once. They'd had a bad flight and were arguing quite heavily. The perimeter road traffic lights turned red, we stopped and watched Concorde land and the atmosphere in the car changed instantly, that was the power of the fascination of Concorde.

I once read that had it not been banned from flying supersonic over the USA mainland that it would have been developed and later models would have been much more fuel efficient with a greater range and also more affordable; IMO a much more worthy fate for it than becoming an option for the rich and famous.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

It did relaunch ......I think it was the day before twin towers fell :(

Its success was largely fuelled by corporate bookings, but in times of austerity, it would have no chance.

It will never come back IMO, the onus is on big planes with hundreds of seats now. I've done the concorde tour at manchester airport, its very interesting if you like that kind of stuff.

My dad got to fly on it too. 

I hope the concorde will be replaced by another plane.

As far as I know, there are no more private supersonic planes flying.

I can't understand why rich people would want to spend sometimes up to 16 hours traveling to the other side of the world if a plane was available that cout cut the time by 75% (if flying at MACH 2).

I hope the concorde will be replaced by another plane.

As far as I know, there are no more private supersonic planes flying.

I can't understand why rich people would want to spend sometimes up to 16 hours traveling to the other side of the world if a plane was available that cout cut the time by 75% (if flying at MACH 2).

It's nearly 50 years now since it's earliest test flights and it bewilders me that the concept wasn't developed further. The Russians attempted to mimic the Concorde with their tragically doomed Tupolov 144 (Concordski) which only highlights what an achievement Concorde was.

Just think of the possibilities had Concorde been allowed to fly supersonic over the USA (thus eliminating some of the most important possible routes). It would have been developed and become much more efficient...who knows, we might have been flying London to Bangkok in 6 hours!

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

It's nearly 50 years now since it's earliest test flights and it bewilders me that the concept wasn't developed further. The Russians attempted to mimic the Concorde with their tragically doomed Tupolov 144 (Concordski) which only highlights what an achievement Concorde was.

Just think of the possibilities had Concorde been allowed to fly supersonic over the USA (thus eliminating some of the most important possible routes). It would have been developed and become much more efficient...who knows, we might have been flying London to Bangkok in 6 hours!

Just reading up on The Tupolev.

Sounds like it was the Lada Niva of Supersonic flight.

I was lucky enough to fly Concorde just after it came back into service following the Paris air disaster.

A friend worked for BA and was able to get me two return tickets to New York for £1995 each through a staff promotion. Awesome experience looking down at the jumbos flying 5 miles below you and eating them up lie a Pac Man game! The transatlantic route is very busy. On the return the jumbos again are well below you and your flying towards them at break neck speed. It is an amazing view.

Cabin was a bit cramped, toilet even smaller! I still have my flight certificates, menus, safety cards, sick bags etc etc

I doubt it will be back in service.

If pax are given a choice of reaching the destination 4 hours earlier and the choice of being connected and for 1/3 the price I don't see many taking the concorde on a regular basis.

Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?"
Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"
Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!"
Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

For an international flight the actual time flying is just one component of the total time for the trip. You've first got to get a ride to the airport, wait in the check in lines, perhaps go through passport control, then wait for the flight to take off. Upon arrival you need to wait for your luggage, go through immigration and then leave the airport and drive to your destination.

So cutting the flight time by half is not going to cut your total travel time by half.

Also flying twice as long in a comfortable business class seat with great entertainment options may in fact be better than flying half the time in a tiny cramped seat with few if any entertainment options.

One of my regrets is not taking the chance to fly on the Concorde when BA put it on out of Jeddah one Summer on the day I was flying out.

C'est la vie.

:-(

Edit: coincidentally, I'm watching the Air Crash Investigation about the Paris crash at the moment.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I was watching TV today and they had something about the Concorde.

I wonder if the oil price could make a comeback possible? Apparently the technical problems weren't that big and it would be cool to cut the travel time in half (if it flew from CPH - BKK, fat chance) any ways do you think it possible to see it again?

It's very sad, I really don't think so. As Dr WoB says it was a huge achievement for British and French engineering, made us hugely proud and something that really seemed to unite the two nations.

Richard Branson tried to buy the airworthy ones from BA but they wouldn't sell to him. I very much doubt the civil aviation authority would grant permission for an aircraft that complex to fly in private hands and without manufacturer support.

Archived