IGNORED

Meter taxis outside Central Festival mall?

izzyg

In a few days I need to transport myself and a big bag from View Talay 6 to the bus station on Pattaya North Road. There are a lot of blue-yellow taxis waiting outside Central Festival. Are these reliable or scammers who refuse to use the meter?

In a few days I need to transport myself and a big bag from View Talay 6 to the bus station on Pattaya North Road. There are a lot of blue-yellow taxis waiting outside Central Festival. Are these reliable or scammers who refuse to use the meter?

I have gone to use them twice, both times they refused to use the meter so I've just got a baht bus. I'll never attempt to use the cheating dogs again, they won't ever get a single baht off me.

These guys never use the meter in town but want to make a set price . 

Walk away , to expensive . 

I don't take motorbike taxis and walk everywhere.

When I have a girl, I take the Insomnia taxi or regular taxi from Walking Street or 2nd Road.

It's generally a flat 200 baht rate.

Last week I took an approximate 3 km ride to Jomtien, 200 baht as well.

For some who live here and use the same driver, sometimes pay 150 flat rate to all areas.

They won't use the meter but it can't hurt to ask them what they charge and walk away if it's too much. You tend to think that because it has real seats and a/c it's going to be expensive. I once had a girl here and we wanted to visit the Buddah on the mountain.. The guy gave us a good price, drove us there, waited while we toured the attraction and then brought us home. I can't remember what it cost but it wasn't much and much more comfortable than a baht bus (and there was a bit of a drizzle so not being outside in the elements was nice).

Has anyone used the GrabTaxi, its's a new taxi service in Bkk and pattaya.. use a app GrabTaxi, and they arrive on your gps position.. meter only and no haggles.

In Bangkok you would pay less than 50 bahts, but Pattaya in high season 200 bahts is the norm.

Ok, thanks for the input. 200 baht is a lot, but going straight to the bus station in a car with AC may be worth it.

There does not seem to be many baht buses on North road, which makes a 10+10 baht ride difficult.

When leaving Pattaya w/big bag + carry on from the April Suites and Pattaya Bay Resort, I have been able to negotiate a private direct ride on a baht bus for 100 baht to the bus station on Pattaya North Rd.  I tried offering 50 baht, but I got no takers.  Even though no AC, it is a straight ride w/o stops and other passengers to the bus station.

Also, I have caught the regular baht bus on 2nd rd w/o luggage to the bus station and paid the 10+10 baht ride, but I had to transfer and wait for the bus to fill up at the transfer pt on North Rd.  The times I have done this, the wait time at North Rd depended on how long it took to get a full bus.

If you are going to the airport you can use the Bell Travel Bus, which picks you up in a mini-van then a big bus to the airport,

The OP is probably changing hotels. They tried the 300 baht bs on me too. One of them even tried to take my bag to his car. I offered a hundred. They refused.

They can sit there and make no money at all. It's their choice.

Now in Bangkok. I walked up to the first taxi I saw and asked how much to bus station. 250 baht he said. I offered 200 which was accepted.

Taxi drove me to bus station without any trouble.

Fun thing was that this meter-taxi did not have a meter installed.

Just had lunch with a good retired friend who lives here. The taxis in Pattaya, short trip or long, are 200 baht and it's reasonable. It's been discussed with the driver he's been using for three years and it is not maphia.

There is so much traffic in Pattaya that if the used the meter, starting at 35-45 baht, they would not make any money, and just because you might not encounter a lot of traffic on the way to your destination, there may be traffic upon the drivet's return.

With financing of the vehicle, maintenance, and insurance, they are not making a lot of money at charging 200 baht.

It's 6 USD, short trips or to Jomtien. I've been paying 200 baht each time and it's not unreasonable. In fact, it's to the point where I ask 200 baht each time.

For some who live here and use the same driver, sometimes pay 150 flat rate to all areas.

Correction:

It's 200 flat rate to most areas within reason.

Archived