IGNORED

United Airlines

BigVenz

the eva option is there now when you use the "award travel" feature on united.com

also air china and thai airlines options show up

this is for my route, sfo/bkk

Umm, no. As someone who has flown both, if you are tall and are traveling coach, United's Economy Plus beats ANA coach. ANA has premium economy but it is quite pricey. If I were flying business or first, certainly ANA is much nicer. 

I have flown both as well many times.  I hate United in general and their long haul service absolutely sucks unless you are in business class.  My last flight over in United economy cost me over $1,700 USD and they wanted additional money to access their premium entertainment system on a frigging 14 hour flight.  Basic entertainment was a couple of movies.  Foreign carriers do long haul much better than the U.S. carriers.

Not after February 1. Business class booked on United miles to BKK on *A partners goes up to 160K.

ahh, 160K, that sucks, I recall reading something about that...  I will have to use my miles before that date then!

hmm...  a new project, plan my next trip!  yay!

Keep in mind all you have to do is book/ticket the flight(s) by Jan. 31, 2014 to get the current rates - that should permit travel throughout most of 2014.

The increase from 120,000 to 160,000 for RT business class sucks, but it's NOTHING compared to the 100,000 mile INCREASE required for RT first class!

I'm really tempted to load up on United miles and book a one-way first class return from BKK on Thai for a trip in November to experience Thai's legendary first class ground service at BKK one last time before it's effectively done forever as far as I'm concerned.  Dropping an extra 10k or 20k for first class can be justified, but I just cannot justify spending the equivalent of an additional one-way business class ticket to fly in first class.

To the OP, can you pre-select your seats if you join ANA's frequent flier program?  

If so, it may be worth joining and getting a few miles in that account (through purchase, transfer, etc.)

I have flown both as well many times.  I hate United in general and their long haul service absolutely sucks unless you are in business class.  My last flight over in United economy cost me over $1,700 USD and they wanted additional money to access their premium entertainment system on a frigging 14 hour flight.  Basic entertainment was a couple of movies.  Foreign carriers do long haul much better than the U.S. carriers.

It all depends on what you want. I want leg room over entertainment or service so UA E+ is a better deal for me than ANA in coach.

I can get upgraded most of the time on UA, so I don't mind the lack of entertainment or service in E+ when I don't. What I absolutely can't stand is being packed in like a sardine on a 12-16 flight, no matter how good the service, catering or entertainment.

That said I'm on a flight to London on AA tomorrow, but with an extra leg room seat in coach. I'll survive.

Keep in mind all you have to do is book/ticket the flight(s) by Jan. 31, 2014 to get the current rates - that should permit travel throughout most of 2014.

The increase from 120,000 to 160,000 for RT business class sucks, but it's NOTHING compared to the 100,000 mile INCREASE required for RT first class!

I'm really tempted to load up on United miles and book a one-way first class return from BKK on Thai for a trip in November to experience Thai's legendary first class ground service at BKK one last time before it's effectively done forever as far as I'm concerned.  Dropping an extra 10k or 20k for first class can be justified, but I just cannot justify spending the equivalent of an additional one-way business class ticket to fly in first class.

To the OP, can you pre-select your seats if you join ANA's frequent flier program?  

If so, it may be worth joining and getting a few miles in that account (through purchase, transfer, etc.)

Yeah, the 100k increase for an F ticket has driven me to AA from UA. I got spoiled flying from the US on Lufthansa, ANA, TG and Asiana in first. Lookws like it's Cathay Pacific and JAL for me from now on. I still have 180K miles on UA which I will probably burn for a biz round trip on EVA some time in 2015.

I live in Houston and fly all over the world for work. I only choose UA due to my miles and upgrades but after they cancel the narita flight im gone johnson and will start new with a non-U.S. airline. IMHO all U.S. airlines suck ass! Eva, Singapore, Thai, are far greater in service and amenities, hands down. Plus you get to look at some hot tight bodied attendants on Eva, Singapore and Thai rather than 78yr old tired looking ladys that should be collecting social securtiy and retired already.

• 2 weeks later...

Both Qatar and Emirates fly to Houston, would it be possible to fly with them to BKK via the Middle East instead?

Both Qatar and Emirates fly to Houston, would it be possible to fly with them to BKK via the Middle East instead?

Yes, they are direct 15 to 16 hour flights to/from Doha/Dubai but only a 2 hour or so layover and then 6 to 7 hour flight to Bangkok. They are loaded with Indians though and that is a challenge of a different sort if you are in cattle class. You will learn more than you wanted to about different body odor cultures.

If you can endure the long flight it can actually be a shorter overall duration to go east from Houston to Bangkok instead of the more common west.

Neither work for me as they are not with Star Alliance where i am Platinum.

The best way east from Houston is Lufthansa to Frankfurt then Thai to BKK but this always prices out at around 4k for economy.

Funny though, if I were ever to buy a ticket on miles, this is always the flight available at the 1/2 mile special. 60k round trip.

The best way east from Houston is Lufthansa to Frankfurt then Thai to BKK but this always prices out at around 4k for economy.

Funny though, if I were ever to buy a ticket on miles, this is always the flight available at the 1/2 mile special. 60k round trip.

Yeah but the flight cost is less than $1300 for RT economy.

I do better going Houston-Paris-BKK with the Paris to BKK leg being on Thai than I do going east through Frankfurt. It rarely costs more than $1700 RT economy.

ya, I see several optionsthrough europe from Reno, on award travel...  through Frankfurt, Paris, London...  LONG ass trip from where I am...  

Archived