IGNORED

Getting from Pattaya to Koh Chang in one piece

Eire

Ok, 

So last December going from Pattaya to Koh Chang in a shared mini bus we cheated death by a narrow margin. I have been to Thailand 7 times and the driver was by far the worst driver I have ever encountered. 

Any recommendations/prices are welcome, please help us arrive in Koh Chang this Christmas on one piece! 

Not much you can do as you never know who's gonna drive the taxi/bus except renting a car and drive there yourself .

Best way private Car as you can say Jep Jep if he crazy or Bow Bow.

You can stop for a piss if you want or get food you can fag it and no other buggers with you either

plenty of booths around Pats to ask Matey

Yeah Private may be the way I reckon, it doesn't cost that much more then the mini bus. 

Another thing I was actually thinking about doing was renting a car in Pattaya and driving to Koh Chang, there seems to be some good deals on car rentals (even on this forum) - I'd actually save money I reckon as I was planning on renting in Koh Chang anyway. Has anyone done this? 

Yeh you can rent no problems and up to you if you say where you are going.

Roads in Koh Chaing are shit mate and if you have a incident and it a Pats Car expect a big cost and lots of hassle to sort it.

You have inter national licence i take it

Yeh you can rent no problems and up to you if you say where you are going.

Roads in Koh Chaing are shit mate and if you have a incident and it a Pats Car expect a big cost and lots of hassle to sort it.

You have inter national licence i take it

Yeah have my Licence.

I drove in Koh Chang last year with no problems, although it was a Toyota Fourturner 3.0lt and was well able for the Koh chang Roads. We have similar roads here in Ireland :)

Private taxi 4000 bt round trip ( had me an my girl). Taxi Booth at soi baokouw next to oasis agogo. Or use any other taxi booth . Haggle the price down to 4000 bt they will do it . They have mini van that goes to koh Chang or 700bt I think ( one way / per person ). Never book hotel from travel shop in patt . Mega rip the fuck off ! Book the hotel your self . Bt bus at koh Chang will take you right to thefront of your hotel or anywhere you want or know ( tell driver ) no need private van/ car to take you across ferry to hotel ( waste money ) have fun good luck

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

Can you recommend a good hire company Gungadin? 

i wouldnt recommend going anywhere in a minibus.There is a taxi driver in my village thats about as good as they get.Nice man and drives very careful and not too fast.I have used him for years and wont use anyone else.Drives a Toyota Camry.Never been to Koh Chang with him though,dont know if he would go or not.I think if the money is right he would,hes Thai after all.

If your in Pattaya get a nice aircon bus up on Sukhimvit, bus stop  it will take you to Trat in comfort for less than 200 Baht it was 147 but i know its gone up from 2 years ago then you will be ripped off to the cost of 100 Baht to get to the ferry in an aircon mini-bus you might even have to wait a good 20 minutes, never hire a minibus if you must go door to door get a recommended driver from a  board menber, even most hotels will just fix you up with dodgy drivers

rented a car from budget(honda jazz at 900 baht per day) and drive to Koh Chang by myself last spring.

i will never use the minibus drived by hot head thai pilot.too risky.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked a taxi thru Mr T,. From Door to ferry, Just used a baht bus on island. Seemed to workout ok. On way back the Taxi prices they quoted locally were over the top - real rip off. Took baht bus to ferry and then a minbus. As there were  2 adults plus 3 kids would have been better to use Mr. T for rtn trip. You live and learn!

• 2 months later...

I booked a taxi thru Mr T,. From Door to ferry, Just used a baht bus on island. Seemed to workout ok. On way back the Taxi prices they quoted locally were over the top - real rip off. Took baht bus to ferry and then a minbus. As there were  2 adults plus 3 kids would have been better to use Mr. T for rtn trip. You live and learn!

What was the cost with Mr T. I would rent a car myself but only going one way.

If your in Pattaya get a nice aircon bus up on Sukhimvit, bus stop  it will take you to Trat in comfort for less than 200 Baht it was 147 but i know its gone up from 2 years ago then you will be ripped off to the cost of 100 Baht to get to the ferry in an aircon mini-bus you might even have to wait a good 20 minutes, never hire a minibus if you must go door to door get a recommended driver from a  board menber, even most hotels will just fix you up with dodgy drivers

Do you know if this service is still going.

• 2 weeks later...

Shared a minivan we rented thru a travel agency in Patty. Drove us there took the ferry with us and brought to our hotel.

Picked us up at our hotel for the way back. Price roughly 1800b per person return 6 people sharing everything included.

Archived