Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

I'm doing LAX-Doha on QR in October, but am on the 777, which only has biz and economy.  Paid a BUTTLOAD for it ($6000+ USD) because I'm getting reimbursed and the EQMs should get me close to Platinum status through 2018.  This is only my 2nd revenue flight on AA/oneworld this year - flew JAL RT LAX-Tokyo and AA RT LAX-JFK.  I do have another trip coming up to Omaha, but the LAX-Doha-Baku (Azerbaijan) is my big EQM earner this year!  LOL

I was surprised/disappointed it is a 2-2-2 layout, but I got an aisle seat in the middle section.  DOH-GYD is a 2-2 config on an A320 (short haul - 2 hours and 40 min).

My other choice was Turkish, which I have read good things about, but they have a 2-3-2 layout on the LAX-Istanbul - don;t like being in a situation where I have to climb over someone or someone has to climb over me.  Plus, I'm nowhere near status with Star Alliance, so those miles would be pretty wasted.

I'm coming in Sept from Switzerland and got the following deal:

With QATAR:

• GVA - DOH - BKK: A350 - B77w Business class
  • BKK - DOH - GVA: B77w - A350 Business class

= 1'870 EURO (directly via their website)

13 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I'm doing LAX-Doha on QR in October, but am on the 777, which only has biz and economy.  Paid a BUTTLOAD for it ($6000+ USD) because I'm getting reimbursed and the EQMs should get me close to Platinum status through 2018.  This is only my 2nd revenue flight on AA/oneworld this year - flew JAL RT LAX-Tokyo and AA RT LAX-JFK.  I do have another trip coming up to Omaha, but the LAX-Doha-Baku (Azerbaijan) is my big EQM earner this year!  LOL

I was surprised/disappointed it is a 2-2-2 layout, but I got an aisle seat in the middle section.  DOH-GYD is a 2-2 config on an A320 (short haul - 2 hours and 40 min).

My other choice was Turkish, which I have read good things about, but they have a 2-3-2 layout on the LAX-Istanbul - don;t like being in a situation where I have to climb over someone or someone has to climb over me.  Plus, I'm nowhere near status with Star Alliance, so those miles would be pretty wasted.

The 777 is generally pretty bad for Business imo. You need the big jets for the proper experience.

I use EVA Prem Econ on the 777 and they strike a good balance between cost and comfort. I smirk when I see the small Business class booth on the 777 and am quite happy to go past to the Prem Econ seats.

Flew Business on the A380 with Emirates and it was a different class to even a Lufthansa 747 (which I have flown on twice).

Same with local flights, the small aisle jets Business class is a con really.

Of course if it is all free then go for it just don't think of it as a 'proper' Business class experience :) 

Still a *lot* better than Econ!

On 7/26/2017 at 4:46 PM, Luv2Phuket said:

No worries- I took that QR Flight on the 777LR twice now, and although its 2-2-2 layout, the seat is super comfy and was able to get some great sleep..  The in seat massage option is a nice touch, and when in reclined mode the privacy divider keeps you from ever seeing your seat-mate.     There is sooo much leg room on that 777LR-  Maybe too much cause the IFE is so far haha.    I was also upset at the layout when i 1st booked, but after 2 flights now, I really enjoyed the seat...   Be sure to tell us how you enjoyed it..

The route is a great earner that's for sure- Although I paid under 2K on the QR website and earned just under 5K EQDs-   But that flight made me reach Exec Plat status by July... 

Edited by get0ffdanutzz

Duck fuvk fyck fuck I missed that Qatar mistake fare today by a few hours....!RT Qatar biz class from SGN to many USA hubs for only $700!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navidnavid said:

Duck fuvk fyck fuck I missed that Qatar mistake fare today by a few hours....!RT Qatar biz class from SGN to many USA hubs for only $700!!!

lol. Saw that too. Fuel surcharge and tax only--no fare! wish I saw it earlier. I read that holds were cancelled though, so it may only be honored for those who brought them. 

Xiamen airlines has a pretty good (to me) price for round trip business class from LAX to BKK in December time frame, week ago it was around 2200 bucks. 

I've never heard of them before but after doing some basic research, not too shabby looking. Their booking process is really nice too, and you can choose seats and meals for each flight.

The flights don't work for me though. The return trip has two stops, one overnight, which I can't do because of my work schedule (I want to maximize every day/night spent in Pattaya within the limits of my PTO).

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

On 7/31/2017 at 11:14 AM, Little Evil said:

lol. Saw that too. Fuel surcharge and tax only--no fare! wish I saw it earlier. I read that holds were cancelled though, so it may only be honored for those who brought them. 

Yeah im one of those assholes who put a hold instead of buying..  i was just unsure how i was going to position myself..  if there is a next time.  Just gotta pull trigger

On 7/31/2017 at 5:24 PM, QuotaMan said:

Xiamen airlines has a pretty good (to me) price for round trip business class from LAX to BKK in December time frame, week ago it was around 2200 bucks. 

I've never heard of them before but after doing some basic research, not too shabby looking. Their booking process is really nice too, and you can choose seats and meals for each flight.

The flights don't work for me though. The return trip has two stops, one overnight, which I can't do because of my work schedule (I want to maximize every day/night spent in Pattaya within the limits of my PTO).

Have you tried Premium Economy?  I usually get PE on CX for $1600-1700 from LAX.   Seat is comparable to some domestic 1st class seats.    JL is typically a bit more expensive but have a great PE seat.

Also if u have status  CX usually upgrades me to J on the leg over because they tend to over sell  economy from LAX

On 8/1/2017 at 8:26 PM, get0ffdanutzz said:

Have you tried Premium Economy?  I usually get PE on CX for $1600-1700 from LAX.   Seat is comparable to some domestic 1st class seats.    JL is typically a bit more expensive but have a great PE seat.

Also if u have status  CX usually upgrades me to J on the leg over because they tend to over sell  economy from LAX

I have done PE on CX and was pretty happy with it.  I didn't get upgraded, but had nobody in the seat beside me on both long haul legs (which made it more comfortable)

If I was paying (as opposed to using miles OR flying on somebody else's dime), I definitely would do PE again.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:26 PM, get0ffdanutzz said:

PE is pretty nice and an option. I used to do Delta PE from SFO to BKK but for some reason they no longer have those two seater PE on either side of the plane.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Hainan ( HU )  now has Business class fares of US$2071 from  Chicago  ORD-PEK-BKK .  The long leg is a 787-9 

Return has a long layover ( 6.5 hours ) but Hainan recently opened a new lounge in Terminal 2 , which is a relatively

quiet terminal at capital airport.  I live in Florida, but can easily get non stop flights to ORD at reasonable prices.

I have flown Hainan twice before , excellent service...highly rated by Skytrax also.

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

On 8/6/2017 at 2:47 PM, baddog666 said:

Hainan ( HU )  now has Business class fares of US$2071 from  Chicago  ORD-PEK-BKK .  The long leg is a 787-9 

Return has a long layover ( 6.5 hours ) but Hainan recently opened a new lounge in Terminal 2 , which is a relatively

quiet terminal at capital airport.  I live in Florida, but can easily get non stop flights to ORD at reasonable prices.

I have flown Hainan twice before , excellent service...highly rated by Skytrax also.

You might be interested in this:  http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/04/19/hainan-new-business-class-787/

In addition to the good news about seats, it shows that you can credit your mileage to Alaska (one of my favorite programs for redemptions)

• Thanks 2

One word of caution on Citi Prestige -- once you close the account, you have to use the points quickly, as they will expire (I forget if it is 30, 60 or 90 days).  This is true even if you have another Citi account to move the points into.

That was a big reason why I renewed my card again.

I'm hoping the 4th night free" perk makes up for the the annual fee for me this year.  Otherwise, I need to start moving some points!  555

• 3 weeks later...

More possibly relevant frequent flier info today --

Alaska and Singapore have announced a new "partnerhsip" - http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/08/30/alaska-singapore-airlines-partnership/

Alaska has long been one of my favorite programs, given their cheap (by comparison) redemptions on Cathay and their frequent offers to buy miles at relatively low rates (just got a 50% bonus offer today, but I have plenty of Alaska miles, so it doesn't make much sense for me at this time)  

No idea if Singapore's inventory will be as open to them or what kind of mileage requirements they will have, but I'm eager see (since I'm currently sitting on 200,000+ Alaska miles)

• Like 1

Singapore is still a Unicorn for me. I've either flown on, or have had the option to use just many of the top tier airlines up in J or F now, but Singapore and Emirates remain elusive due to their respective program restrictions with partners. The food looks spectacular and the seats look pretty damn nice. Might have to concentrate on Amex MR's for a while to transfer to SQ.

Would I be missing much by switching my long haul from LAX to HKG from CX to AA? I have never flown CX long haul so not sure how much if any of a "downgrade" it would be to switch to AA. Thoughts?

The reason for the potential switch would be for a better flight time that works for me.

38 minutes ago, bouncewithme said:

Would I be missing much by switching my long haul from LAX to HKG from CX to AA? I have never flown CX long haul so not sure how much if any of a "downgrade" it would be to switch to AA. Thoughts?

The reason for the potential switch would be for a better flight time that works for me.

In J, the hard product is fairly identical if you get the reverse herringbone AA seats.  In F, there is no comparison. CX is way ahead of AA for the hard product.  You get a much wider, more private seat with turndown service.  I also prefer CX's soft product over AA, including lounge options. CX FA's almost encourage pressing the attendant button. AA, less enthusiastic about you pressing it. The one area where AA might beat out CX is the IFE monitors. I've notice CX's look pretty dated these days, but hardly a deal breaker. 

• Like 2

Just now, Little Evil said:

In J, the hard product is fairly identical if you get the reverse herringbone AA seats.  In F, there is no comparison. CX is way ahead of AA for the hard product.  You get a much wider, more private seat with turndown service.  I also prefer CX's soft product over AA, including lounge options. CX FA's almost encourage pressing the attendant button. AA, less enthusiastic about you pressing it. The one area where AA might beat out CX is the IFE monitors. I've notice CX's look pretty dated these days, but hardly a deal breaker. 

Thanks for the insight. And I should have noted in my original post, it would be J class.

I agree with Little Evil

I think this is a pretty damning statement of how far my opinion of CX J has fallen.  Last couple of trips, it was fine, but nothing special.  I think I would probably opt for convenience over Cathay at this juncture.

I have been told the CX lounge is head and shoulders better in Hong Kong (a friend was on AA and said their biz lounge sucked).  If you have a Platinum AMEX, they are supposed to be opening a Centurion Lounge in Hong Kong sometime this year.

That said, Cathay remains at the top of my list, given my ability to use 50k Alaska miles for J (each way)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I agree with Little Evil

I think this is a pretty damning statement of how far my opinion of CX J has fallen.  Last couple of trips, it was fine, but nothing special.  I think I would probably opt for convenience over Cathay at this juncture.

I have been told the CX lounge is head and shoulders better in Hong Kong (a friend was on AA and said their biz lounge sucked).  If you have a Platinum AMEX, they are supposed to be opening a Centurion Lounge in Hong Kong sometime this year.

That said, Cathay remains at the top of my list, given my ability to use 50k Alaska miles for J (each way)

I agree. CX J has mysteriously dropped in quality in recent years. I say "mysteriously", because I don't think I can actually pinpoint an exact reason why, but I feel like my overall satisfaction has been lowered the last few times I've traveled that way. It might be the soft product. Food has been noticeably lower quality and the service seems a bit rushed and mechanical. It also might just be me being jaded in flying F more times than J in the past 2 years. 

That being said, if you have an opportunity to try CX's A350, I'd pick that over an AA 777. While the CX A350 is relatively new, the hard product was rushed and is somewhat cheap in it's finish. I actually saw many instances if things not fitting together right or finishes peeling already, and my arm rest refused to raise. However, the A350 itself is a remarkable plane where I felt the lower cabin noise and high pressurization did actually have a positive effect. I actually thought that was all just marketing, but I personally noticed a difference. 

FYI - Targeted offer from Barclays/Aviator Silver. Some new program called Flight Cents. 

The way it works is that it rounds up purchases to the nearest dollar, but gives you a multiplier for the round up. The example was a cup of coffee for $3.10 gets rounded to $4. even (as in, you spend $4 on that purchase). The $.90 difference gets multiplied by a fixed 50% for miles, yielding 45 additional miles plus the $3. spend miles.

Basically, this is a passive 2 cent/mile purchase plan. Does it make sense (no pun)? Not entirely, as you're just flat out buying extra miles peacemeal as oppose to buying in bulk during promotions. Also, the 2 cent/mile isn't exactly earth shattering of a price. However, for those who can't or won't pony up $1-2k during those promotions for bulk miles purchase, this could be a better cash flow option to earn AA miles. I personally don't find it compelling, but an interesting approach. I still have my Aviator Silver kicking around, but I think I may cut it from the line up soon.