IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

FWIW, I just spend a frustrating 20 minutes on the phone with Citi trying to allocate credit from 2 cards that I am going to close asap (a 2nd Hilton Visa Sig that offers crap benefits and an AA card that offers less than the Aviator card).  I THINK I finally got it done, but also think it's gonna cost me a "hard pull."  I am reallocating $12,000 of credit, so better to have a hard pull than to lose all fo that when I close the accounts.

Wow. Citi has to step up their CSR game. I used the chat tool to merge my Chase accounts just last week. Moved $10k to my reserve in like 3 minutes. I previously merged my Capital One accounts via web app. No CSR involved. Maybe that was complicated with the card partners. 

On a separate note, I saw that Alaska has a 40% bonus on buy miles. The only problem is that they only offer a 60K max purchase with a 24k bonus for $1,774. Max of 84k isn't great, but I suppose things change considering the low 100k J RT. Sign up for the 30K credit card bonus with a low min spend, and you get 114k. Not far off one F and one J, or RT J easily. I think I may pull that card.

25 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

On a separate note, I saw that Alaska has a 40% bonus on buy miles. The only problem is that they only offer a 60K max purchase with a 24k bonus for $1,774. Max of 84k isn't great, but I suppose things change considering the low 100k J RT. Sign up for the 30K credit card bonus with a low min spend, and you get 114k. Not far off one F and one J, or RT J easily. I think I may pull that card.

In the words of Lee Corso...."not so fast, my friend!"

While you are correct that there is a 60K max purchase per transaction, there is no limit to the number of transactions that you can do.

Given that 40,000 miles is minimum to get the 40% bonus, you could do 2 purchases of 40,000 miles ($1,182.50/purchase) and net 112,000 Alaska miles for $2,365 total (leaving you with 12,000 miles after RT biz class).  

Tack on the 30,000 mile credit card bonus and you are at 142,000....enough for RT first on Cathay.

If you don't want to go the credit card route, an alternative is to do 2 purchases of 50,000 miles for $1,478.13 each, which, with the bonus, nets you 140,000 total miles (and RT first on Cathay) for $2,956.26.  While just shy of $3k is pricey, it's not a bad deal for RT Cathay first, even WITH their recent quality issues.

That said, for me, finding award availability in first on Cathay is akin to seeing a snow leopard....and I live by the beach! 555

• Like 3

2 hours ago, navidnavid said:

disappointing, especially losing the 15% discount.

Any experience with award availability in first class?  At only 20,000 miles more each way than biz, it seems like that may be the better deal

First Class awards are usually open on the SFO-HKG flight.... I've also wait listed first class awards with success, multiple times. Before the devaluation I believe the difference in miles for first and biz on the SFO-HKG was only like 10,000 miles... so it was a no brainer to fly first...

Have you ever read SFO777's pictorial trip reports? 

http://www.sfo777.com

He is a legend over at Flyertalk... and is not afraid to spend money on very lavish travel. 

On 3/31/2017 at 9:53 PM, Luv2Phuket said:

In the words of Lee Corso...."not so fast, my friend!"

While you are correct that there is a 60K max purchase per transaction, there is no limit to the number of transactions that you can do.

Very good to know, as even if I completely run out of miles, there's still an option for flat out buy into F without actually spending $20-25k. Schooled me once again!  

1 hour ago, navidnavid said:

First Class awards are usually open on the SFO-HKG flight.... I've also wait listed first class awards with success, multiple times. Before the devaluation I believe the difference in miles for first and biz on the SFO-HKG was only like 10,000 miles... so it was a no brainer to fly first...

Have you ever read SFO777's pictorial trip reports? 

http://www.sfo777.com

He is a legend over at Flyertalk... and is not afraid to spend money on very lavish travel. 

So, I see you found my blog (I wish). 

Still haven't flown Singapore, and now it looks like the odds are against me. 

Behold....the new Amex Platinum card. Actually, doesn't really look like much in this side by side comparison (old card on the left), but let me tell you...

This thing is almost all metal with a super thin coating of some clear material, both heavier and less bendy than the Chase Reserve card. All variable letters and numbers are laser etched into the metal and the American Express Platinum is embossed. Account number appears on the rear like a Chase card. Weight is probably 4 ounces (feels the same as Barclay Luxury Card and probably Centurion Card). The physical card finally matches the features, although, that's just eye candy. I'm admittedly impressed though. I would actually be a little nervous pulling this card in LoS, as you either open yourself up as a target to whomever is taking the card or you're going to price yourself up with any TG who might put their mitts on it.  

Edited to say that it came rather unceremoniously in a plain envelope inside a Fedex package. I would have otherwise shown the full packaging. I am interested how they package this for new accounts. 

20170404_191937.jpg

Edited by Little Evil
  • Like 2

Are they sending new cards to everyone or did yours just renew?

Mine is up for renewal sometime in May and I am scrambling to get my $200 airline fee reimbursement in before the annual fee hits!  555  I plan to eventually open a new AMEX Platinum Business card, but waiting until I have cleared some other spending hurdles and hoping like Hell that the bonus goes back up!  

Speaking of closing accounts, I am STILL trying to get Citi to reallocate some of my damn available credit so that I can close 2 cards.  Just absurd.  The problem is, if I close the accounts without moving as much of the available credit as possible, I will lose $20,000 of available credit, which, in turn, will cause the % of my credit in use to go up AND my credit score to go down.....bastards!  555

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Are they sending new cards to everyone or did yours just renew?

Mine is up for renewal sometime in May and I am scrambling to get my $200 airline fee reimbursement in before the annual fee hits!  555  I plan to eventually open a new AMEX Platinum Business card, but waiting until I have cleared some other spending hurdles and hoping like Hell that the bonus goes back up!  

Speaking of closing accounts, I am STILL trying to get Citi to reallocate some of my damn available credit so that I can close 2 cards.  Just absurd.  The problem is, if I close the accounts without moving as much of the available credit as possible, I will lose $20,000 of available credit, which, in turn, will cause the % of my credit in use to go up AND my credit score to go down.....bastards!  555

I just asked them for a new card right when they announced they were starting to ship the new metal one on 3/30.  They won't send them until your card expires or if you ask.  I got in early.  My shipment, which is typically next day, took since 3/30. 

Citi is kind of BS for putting you through that. I had an easier time with two low level Cap one cards back in the day. I'd argue that one all the way up the food chain, as you have a very reasonable and valid reason for trying to keep the credit in the merge. 

26 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

Behold....the new Amex Platinum card. Actually, doesn't really look like much in this side by side comparison (old card on the left), but let me tell you...

This thing is almost all metal with a super thin coating of some clear material, both heavier and less bendy than the Chase Reserve card. All variable letters and numbers are laser etched into the metal and the American Express Platinum is embossed. Account number appears on the rear like a Chase card. Weight is probably 4 ounces (feels the same as Barclay Luxury Card and probably Centurion Card). The physical card finally matches the features, although, that's just eye candy. I'm admittedly impressed though. I would actually be a little nervous pulling this card in LoS, as you either open yourself up as a target to whomever is taking the card or you're going to price yourself up with any TG who might put their mitts on it.  

Edited to say that it came rather unceremoniously in a plain envelope inside a Fedex package. I would have otherwise shown the full packaging. I am interested how they package this for new accounts. 

20170404_191937.jpg

got same thing yesterday, and thrilled that new card make easier for me to see #.. old one was little hard to see, anyways.  What you guys do with AMEX MR for USA-BKK options?  Delta is out of question with their stupid "computer spit out" award points approach, and I always can transfer points to Singapore but want to see if I miss something else.  Obviously, we are churners with laser focus on using cards, and travel hacking skills to meet our BKK/Pattaya needs 555.  

Can't wait to go under 5/24 few weeks later, then i'll go for targeted United 70k then Chase Business Ink Preferred this June or so (cross my finger they keep 80k by that time).  Anyone hear anything new about Singapore non-stop SIN-NYC that will start sometime in 2018?   Lastly, can't wait for my return trip back soon on Qatar business, thanks to $1500 business class BKK-LAX fare, which will allow me to requalify for AA EXP status (I grabbed 2, lol).

• Like 2

On 4/4/2017 at 9:06 PM, wash747 said:

got same thing yesterday, and thrilled that new card make easier for me to see #.. old one was little hard to see, anyways.  What you guys do with AMEX MR for USA-BKK options?  Delta is out of question with their stupid "computer spit out" award points approach, and I always can transfer points to Singapore but want to see if I miss something else.  Obviously, we are churners with laser focus on using cards, and travel hacking skills to meet our BKK/Pattaya needs 555.  

Can't wait to go under 5/24 few weeks later, then i'll go for targeted United 70k then Chase Business Ink Preferred this June or so (cross my finger they keep 80k by that time).  Anyone hear anything new about Singapore non-stop SIN-NYC that will start sometime in 2018?   Lastly, can't wait for my return trip back soon on Qatar business, thanks to $1500 business class BKK-LAX fare, which will allow me to requalify for AA EXP status (I grabbed 2, lol).

Funny you mention that. I was looking at my old card and noticed all the black numbers and letters are worn down to the silver, making them harder to distinguish.

I have been pleasantly surprised with Korean Air. from LAX, I believe you have the luxury of being able to book the 747-8 with the newer F suites. Fully enclosed suites. That would be a good use of MRs. 

OOPs. I think I'm confusing my programs. Korean Air isn't an MR partner, is it?

Also, the weight of the new plat card wasn't suppose to say "4 ounces". Meant .4 ounces, which actually isn't right anyway. It turns out to be .7 ounces to Chase's .5 ounces. Bayclays is still the champ at .8 ounces, not that it really matters that much. I'm just a stats nerd. 

Edited by Little Evil
Mistake
  • Like 2

A little off topic, but I consider this to now be somewhat of a "frequent flier tips" thread, so I wanted to pass this along -

I am pushing to get my $200 airline reimbursement on my AMEX Platinum asap, because (as noted above) I am probably going to drop it this year.  My issue is that I rarely have bag fees (co-branded cards cover them) or other stuff that may be covered.  Last year, I used the United MileagePlus Exchange app to buy $200 in Amazon GCs.  The charge showed up as United, and it was a sweet deal!

AMEX figured it out and cut off that gravy train (sadly, BEFORE I got another $100 on it this year!  LOL); however, FlyerTalk walks you through how to sign up for a United gift registry, then use your AMEX Platinum to fund it.  Basically, it's similar to a United gift card, which is NOT covered by the fee reimbursement plan.

Happy to report that my first $75 charge went through and was credited back without issue.  I just did another $75 charge that also hopefully will slide through, and then I'll have $50 more to do soon.

I also still have some United gift certificates from years ago (and, I think an AA one!), so I gotta remember to use them all the next time I need to fly somewhere!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

A little off topic, but I consider this to now be somewhat of a "frequent flier tips" thread, so I wanted to pass this along -

I am pushing to get my $200 airline reimbursement on my AMEX Platinum asap, because (as noted above) I am probably going to drop it this year.  My issue is that I rarely have bag fees (co-branded cards cover them) or other stuff that may be covered.  Last year, I used the United MileagePlus Exchange app to buy $200 in Amazon GCs.  The charge showed up as United, and it was a sweet deal!

AMEX figured it out and cut off that gravy train (sadly, BEFORE I got another $100 on it this year!  LOL); however, FlyerTalk walks you through how to sign up for a United gift registry, then use your AMEX Platinum to fund it.  Basically, it's similar to a United gift card, which is NOT covered by the fee reimbursement plan.

Happy to report that my first $75 charge went through and was credited back without issue.  I just did another $75 charge that also hopefully will slide through, and then I'll have $50 more to do soon.

I also still have some United gift certificates from years ago (and, I think an AA one!), so I gotta remember to use them all the next time I need to fly somewhere!

I sure do miss the old, simple methods of cashing in on this credit. Even the Mileage X app trick I used just last year was squashed by Amex recently.  I heard your method here is the last remaining way to cash this credit out.  Thanks for being the guinea pig on that one, but I may still hold my credit for United Club day passes (if I get desperate enough while traveling domestically). Kind of makes me upset all the hoops you have to jump through for Amex, when Chase's view of "travel" isn't just incidentals. Hell, I was even denied a credit back from a United seat upgrade fee. Didn't realize Amex's fine print excludes upgrades.

Just pulled the trigger on a Citi AA card. Already have the Aviator Silver, but hell, another 50k for 3k spend isn't bad at all. I actually opted for the regular Platinum card instead of the Elite (or whatever the black version is called). Reason is because the bonus is the same, but the spend is lower with the platinum and the annual fee is waived first year. Score and dump with this card, and no real skin off my back aside from a hard pull.

On 4/4/2017 at 6:19 PM, Little Evil said:

Funny you mention that. I was looking at my old card and noticed all the black numbers and letters are worn down to the silver, making them harder to distinguish.

I have been pleasantly surprised with Korean Air. from LAX, I believe you have the luxury of being able to book the 747-8 with the newer F suites. Fully enclosed suites. That would be a good use of MRs. 

OOPs. I think I'm confusing my programs. Korean Air isn't an MR partner, is it?

Also, the weight of the new plat card wasn't suppose to say "4 ounces". Meant .4 ounces, which actually isn't right anyway. It turns out to be .7 ounces to Chase's .5 ounces. Bayclays is still the champ at .8 ounces, not that it really matters that much. I'm just a stats nerd. 

Good info but to clarify- KE out of LAX only flies A380 .  If you want 747-8 need to fly out of SFO...  the 747-8 on KE does have the best biz hard product seats though the Apex Suites..  LAX is usually my home base because of the Qantas F lounge.. But doesnt make a difference when I fkly KE because their lounge at LAX is terrible..

Wish I could find a good deal flying LAX to SE Asia on Star Alliance since I enjoy their LAX lounge... but they want 80K for J class..   I love EVA but 80K  vs 62K for KE..  Is it really a 18K mile difference?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, get0ffdanutzz said:

Good info but to clarify- KE out of LAX only flies A380 .  If you want 747-8 need to fly out of SFO...  the 747-8 on KE does have the best biz hard product seats though the Apex Suites..  LAX is usually my home base because of the Qantas F lounge.. But doesnt make a difference when I fkly KE because their lounge at LAX is terrible..

Wish I could find a good deal flying LAX to SE Asia on Star Alliance since I enjoy their LAX lounge... but they want 80K for J class..   I love EVA but 80K  vs 62K for KE..  Is it really a 18K mile difference?

Sorry about that. West Coast travel is still somewhat a mystery to me, as I always leave from BOS, EWR, or JFK.  

I was actually pleasantly surprised that my 777 on the HKT to ICN leg this past March had the new Apex J suites and the newer F suites with the sliding doors as well. I wonder why KE decided to upgrade their 777's ahead of the A380's. 

EVA is nice, but ultimately still a J hard product.  I suppose the service is somewhere between J & F though. Food can be hit/miss, but at least they pour Dom. I liked them back at 120k RT, but a tough sell like you mention at 160k. 

Good news for BMs who use Cathay -- looks like they are trying to upgrade the service in business class.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/04/13/cathay-pacific-business-class-dine-on-demand/?utm_sourcemedium=Twitter

I think blogger nails it when he says they have a great hard product, but service in business class is very much "assembly line."

One question this raised for me is when would I request meal service?  Because I try to take the late night departures, I usually settle in and watch a movie before/while the initial meal is served, then try to get some sleep (usually with the help of some sleep aids).  I've gotten so used to that that I think I would tend to stick with it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Good news for BMs who use Cathay -- looks like they are trying to upgrade the service in business class.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/04/13/cathay-pacific-business-class-dine-on-demand/?utm_sourcemedium=Twitter

I think blogger nails it when he says they have a great hard product, but service in business class is very much "assembly line."

One question this raised for me is when would I request meal service?  Because I try to take the late night departures, I usually settle in and watch a movie before/while the initial meal is served, then try to get some sleep (usually with the help of some sleep aids).  I've gotten so used to that that I think I would tend to stick with it.

This is good news. I recall a time, just 3 years ago, when CX served up a pretty decent steak on ceramic plates in J. The last time I flew J with them (a year ago, maybe?), this turned into a medallion sized lump of mystery cut beef swimming in gravy inside a tinfoil tray. Sure, you still got the cloth place mat and metal utensils, but the meal itself was entirely forgettable. I also feel like the FA's were pouncing on anything that looked close to finished, to the point that I felt like I had a time limit on eating. I'd welcome a more relaxed change.

I also depart late/overnight. I like this itinerary from the east coast because I arrive in swampy at 10-11am, thus maximizing my ground time on my short trips. I try my best to eat close to after take off, the stay up as long as I can in an attempt to set my clock as close to landing time as possible. Doesn't always work, as the drinks get me from time to time, but this "reset" of the sleeping cycle can work wonders when done right. You're so exhausted from staying up several hours past your regular sleep time that once you do pass out, you're dead asleep for several hours on the plane. Helps reduce jet lag on the ground if done right. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Little Evil said:

Sorry about that. West Coast travel is still somewhat a mystery to me, as I always leave from BOS, EWR, or JFK.  

I was actually pleasantly surprised that my 777 on the HKT to ICN leg this past March had the new Apex J suites and the newer F suites with the sliding doors as well. I wonder why KE decided to upgrade their 777's ahead of the A380's. 

EVA is nice, but ultimately still a J hard product.  I suppose the service is somewhere between J & F though. Food can be hit/miss, but at least they pour Dom. I liked them back at 120k RT, but a tough sell like you mention at 160k. 

Looks like KE will be flying a 747-8 from JFK again beginning in November. SFO is supposedly switching from one daily 747-8 to two daily 777-300ER in the fall. I could have booked a 747-8 between ICN and BKK on my next trip but it would have extended my layover in Seoul from two to eleven hours, so I decided to pass. I figured with my luck, they'd pull an equipment change at the last minute and I'd waste half a day only to fly on a crappy old 744.

Good news for Singapore after the bad devaluation news - their new A380 suites class" looks like it is going to be AMAZING. A 1-1 configuration with only 6 seats (although that likely means even tougher to get them for award travel! 555): 

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/04/14/new-singapore-suites-class-seatmap/?utm_sourcemedium=Twitter

On 4/14/2017 at 2:01 PM, Luv2Phuket said:

Good news for Singapore after the bad devaluation news - their new A380 suites class" looks like it is going to be AMAZING. A 1-1 configuration with only 6 seats (although that likely means even tougher to get them for award travel! 555): 

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/04/14/new-singapore-suites-class-seatmap/?utm_sourcemedium=Twitter

Looks amazing and always wanted to try SQ. But I cannot stand their waitlist.     That's Playing with fire.   Plus their fuel surcharge is close to 400.   Obviously cheap in the scheme of things.   Plus they. Longer let your get the online discount.    Their biz product that flies from west coast isn't that nice ..   need refurb.   Also need more a350 to come to west coast 

although all my complaints still want to try their F or J

MR PSA: Noticed a lucrative Amex MR targeted offer at the bottom of the website after login. Spend $1k at a store called Furnitureland South (online or in store) and net 20k MR's on top of spend. $1k is more than I would be willing to spend just to get points, but if you're already shopping around for a piece of furniture, could be a win/win. 

So I missed out on the recent Alaska 40% bonus. American has their bonus going till 4/28. I have about 16K miles with American now, so I need 124K more and to purchase 84K I would get a 40K bonus for about $2700 including taxes/fees.

I see some Cathay business class seats available during the dates in November I am looking to get to BKK and confirmed with AA they have them. Question for you guys is, would you pull the trigger? Should I hold out and look for another / better / cheaper option of getting Cathay business class? Any issues booking Cathay via AA? thanks

Edited by bouncewithme

15 minutes ago, bouncewithme said:

So I missed out on the recent Alaska 40% bonus. American has their bonus going till 4/28. I have about 16K miles with American now, so I need 124K more and to purchase 84K I would get a 40K bonus for about $2700 including taxes/fees.

I see some Cathay business class seats available during the dates I am looking to get to BKK. Question for you guys is, would you pull the trigger? Should I hold out and look for another / better / cheaper option of getting Cathay business class? Any issues booking Cathay via AA? thanks

Tough call on the mile purchase -- $2700 for RT business class doesn't seem like a bad deal to me, but only you can make that call.  

I haven't had many problems booking Cathay with AA miles -- in fact, it's been my primary use for AA miles.  Think I had one time when the agent couldn't find availability, even though it was showing as available on BA's website.

Just make sure that you are within 331 days of your flight.  AA/Cathay won't let you book outside of that.

• Like 1