IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

Yeah 110k with CX F under AA program since last March. It sucks, and I can confirm that Korean Air have tons of available space. I believe they fly a380 to BKK during peak season so nice bird to enjoy before enjoy yourself with Thai chicks 555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not joking. I didn't even have a Korean Air account, but I signed up for one and immediately was able to find multiple first class itineraries for the day I was looking for. Not only can I book it directly from the website, but I actually have a few choices of itineraries.  Very doable for 95k in F too. I may have to go Korean because I only see waitlist on CX. Only downside is a three plane trip instead of two, but this would be a fantastic use of Chase UR's. I was actually eyeballing transferring to Singapore, but there are very few options from the east coast. Better for the west coast lot. 

FPJM--Gotta love that daisy chaining of programs to get the results you want!  There was a silver lining to the Marriott/SPG merger after all.

Am sure other Skywards members of Emirates are getting similar Email but Biz from London around £1400 currently

The United lounge in SFO, is surprisingly one of the nicest lounges I've lounged in, in the USA...although it isn't equipped with a shower like SG's is....

Edited by navidnavid

Just recently topped off my AA account with a miles purchase so I can book ahead in 2017. Was short about half a one-way award. Nothing really notable about the last AA promotion, but the reason I mention it is because I decided to use my new Chase Reserve card. The miles purchase counted towards my annual travel credit, so I unexpectedly got the $300 bonus (not that I wanted to use it on this purchase). In any case, $300 saved is $300 saved, so I suppose I don't have any complaints. The question now is if they book the purchase points multiplier for the travel category on the base purchase or the discounted purchase. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just recently topped off my AA account with a miles purchase so I can book ahead in 2017. Was short about half a one-way award. Nothing really notable about the last AA promotion, but the reason I mention it is because I decided to use my new Chase Reserve card. The miles purchase counted towards my annual travel credit, so I unexpectedly got the $300 bonus (not that I wanted to use it on this purchase). In any case, $300 saved is $300 saved, so I suppose I don't have any complaints. The question now is if they book the purchase points multiplier for the travel category on the base purchase or the discounted purchase.

Just curious. How did they categorize the charge for purchased miles?

Just curious. How did they categorize the charge for purchased miles?

They coded as an "American Airlines" purchase, so 3X multiplier for UR's. Kind of makes sense, as AA ditched "Points.com" several promotions ago for some reason. I was contemplating reviving my long ignored Aviator Silver card for the purchase for 3X AA points on the purchase, but this ended up killing a few birds with one stone. CSR initial spend threshold, 3X UR points for points hustle diversity, and topping off my AA account. Glad to report that my CSR UR account now reads "108k pending points on next statement", which will be my second statement. It's an early Xmas, guys!

Now....how to spend.......   I have CX booked for one way F in Feb. I was going to play the waiting game on a return flight, but I see plenty of Korean Air F for the way back.  Any experience on that airline, anyone?  Worth transferring 90k of my 180k UR's? 

Edited to say that I forgot to mention that Chase coded the full purchase for 3X UR's, even after giving me the $300 travel credit. I'm having a great honeymoon with this card, and I'm compelled to keep it long term. Question now is if Amex can up their Platinum game. I already saw some rather huge adjustments to their business platinum. Purchases over $5k are now 1.5 points and 50% return of points when used on their travel site for airfare. I haven't done the math yet, but that could work out to closer to how it works transferring MR's to airlines. 

Edited by Little Evil

They coded as an "American Airlines" purchase, so 3X multiplier for UR's. Kind of makes sense, as AA ditched "Points.com" several promotions ago for some reason. I was contemplating reviving my long ignored Aviator Silver card for the purchase for 3X AA points on the purchase, but this ended up killing a few birds with one stone. CSR initial spend threshold, 3X UR points for points hustle diversity, and topping off my AA account. Glad to report that my CSR UR account now reads "108k pending points on next statement", which will be my second statement. It's an early Xmas, guys!

Now....how to spend.......   I have CX booked for one way F in Feb. I was going to play the waiting game on a return flight, but I see plenty of Korean Air F for the way back.  Any experience on that airline, anyone?  Worth transferring 90k of my 180k UR's? 

Edited to say that I forgot to mention that Chase coded the full purchase for 3X UR's, even after giving me the $300 travel credit. I'm having a great honeymoon with this card, and I'm compelled to keep it long term. Question now is if Amex can up their Platinum game. I already saw some rather huge adjustments to their business platinum. Purchases over $5k are now 1.5 points and 50% return of points when used on their travel site for airfare. I haven't done the math yet, but that could work out to closer to how it works transferring MR's to airlines. 

I have flown Korean Air first and was very happy with it -- will see if I can dig out some of my photos.  

When I flew it, I think there was only 1 or 2 other passengers in first.  It also gets good reviews on blogs.

I think the hassle is the potential of a long layover at ICN -- check that out.  ICN is a great airport or, if it's 6+ hours, you could do a quick side trip into Seoul.  I avoided the long layover because i had people to meet with in Seoul, so I spent a few days there.  As I recall, Korean Air has some very liberal layover RULES.

AMEX Platinum made some news with their recent change to 5X miles on airline spending.

I am debating whether to keep my Citi Prestige OR my AMEX Platinum - leaning towards the Prestige for now, because the airline credit seems easier to use and the Priority Pass membership allows 2 guests (in addition to myself).  Bummed that they are losing Admiral's Club, as I have been using that quite a bit.  

Given the 5/24 rule, I am waiting to go after the Chase Reserve and hope like Hell it's still offering a huge sign-up when I am ready to take it on.

I have other cards I need to take stock of, as well -- too many Hilton co-branded cards that all seem to get me the same thing (i.e., Gold status).  I think AMEX Platinum gets me that, too (or maybe it is the Prestige?).  Like I said, I need to evaluate all of my cards and start cutting them back. 555

• Like 3

Well, I checked my credit info earlier today and saw that it had switched from the dreaded 5/24 to 4/24. So, I went ahead and got me the Sapphire Reserve. Thanks for the tips on Korean Air as an Ultimate Rewards partner. That might work out well for me as Atlanta is my preferred gateway with nice connections in ICN both ways.

• Like 1

Love this thread. I just signed up for and was approved for

My CSR card today.

I think a bit differently though. Although I would love to fly Korean 1st or SG 1St I want to make sure I keep my EXP status with AA- So think I'll just book with UR and book an economy seat and use a SWU for biz. Or book biz and do SWU To 1st so I can earn 2 EQMs vs 1anf reach

Qualifying dollars quicker

Any other suggestions. ?? Or should I stop being loyal to AA and chase miles and points. ?

I do love my 1st class Qantas lounge at lax and the 1st class Cathay pier lounge at HKIA. The Qantas 1st class lounge is the best In the states. And the Cathay pier and cabanas at the 1st class wing are top 5 lounges in the world .. decisions decisions

I hate flying out of SFO because their terrible one world lounges. lax and TBIT are amazing now that American built the walkway to TBIT.

But great thread for us award guys.

• Like 2

Love this thread. I just signed up for and was approved for

My CSR card today.

I think a bit differently though. Although I would love to fly Korean 1st or SG 1St I want to make sure I keep my EXP status with AA- So think I'll just book with UR and book an economy seat and use a SWU for biz. Or book biz and do SWU To 1st so I can earn 2 EQMs vs 1anf reach

Qualifying dollars quicker

Any other suggestions. ?? Or should I stop being loyal to AA and chase miles and points. ?

I do love my 1st class Qantas lounge at lax and the 1st class Cathay pier lounge at HKIA. The Qantas 1st class lounge is the best In the states. And the Cathay pier and cabanas at the 1st class wing are top 5 lounges in the world .. decisions decisions

I hate flying out of SFO because their terrible one world lounges. lax and TBIT are amazing now that American built the walkway to TBIT.

But great thread for us award guys.

First of all, CSR is a no-brainer on this 100k promotion. I might also keep if after the first year as well with the $300 travel credit and excellent multiplier categories. It is a great diversification tool from my AA-heavy agenda, so that's a solid score.  

Now, that being said, my only real miles hustle goal every year is to fly two USA-BKK business or better class trips each year. AA has been a good program to that end, but has definitely taken a few hits in recent quarters (220k RT F was a tough pill to swallow). Overall though, it is still the best for me with my relatively light agenda and leaving from Boston (CX with only 2 legs).  If you have AA status and can get consistent SWU's, then "buying" via UR portal might be a good bet if its counts as a revenue ticket and you can assign AA. However, there are technically other cards to consider if AA is your main focus. Citi's co-branded card will give you 10k EQ's after $40k annual spend. It will also rebate 10k miles back into your account upon your first award flight per calendar year (assuming the award is over 10k miles).  I'm pretty sure that perk works even when not actually using the card. You just have to have an active account. The (now defunct) Aviator Silver was even better, in that the annual fee was lower and you got the same perks. Actually, that card is only $30k annual spend to get the 10k EQ's, but no Admiral lounge access.  Then there's the SPG card with good transfer bonuses to AA, but who knows how long that card will last now with Marriott merger.

I think you have it figured out, but may want to consider putting a Citi AA card in your quiver.  

Edited by Little Evil

You are executive platinum status with AA? Damn dude you must fly a lot.... I wish I was EP AA status... free upgrades on every flight right??

Well, I checked my credit info earlier today and saw that it had switched from the dreaded 5/24 to 4/24. So, I went ahead and got me the Sapphire Reserve. Thanks for the tips on Korean Air as an Ultimate Rewards partner. That might work out well for me as Atlanta is my preferred gateway with nice connections in ICN both ways.

Stupid question -- especially from someone with as many credit cards as me! -- but how did you check that on your credit report?

I know that I can get my credit score for free from a few of my credit cards, but I've never looked closer than just the number

Stupid question -- especially from someone with as many credit cards as me! -- but how did you check that on your credit report?

I know that I can get my credit score for free from a few of my credit cards, but I've never looked closer than just the number

One of my credit cards, Capital One, gives this information in their 'score summary' that you see when you check your credit score with them. If you have any Captial One cards, try that.

Just pulled my report (annualreport.com), and I am clearly OUT of the "Chase game" for a while....

5/24?!?  I have opened NINE accounts in the last 24 months....and FIVE this year alone!  Ouch

In my defense, the bulk were opened before Chase announced the 5/24 rule.  I think I have only opened one since it was announced (JetBlue in August as part of a sweet promotion they were running)

Looks like the Sapphire Reserve is a no go until at least February of 2018 (and that's only if I don't open any others between now and then....and I don't see me holding out THAT long! 555)

This year, I opened three new accounts around tax time, so I could hit the minimum spend by paying my taxes with them -- hit minimum spends easily on all 3.  I was thinking of doing it next year, but now may try to limit it to just one new account (which would extend my "5/24" to March/April 2018).

Many cards now offer credit scores for free. Amex, Barclays, Capital One, etc.  You can also sign up for legit-free companies like Credit Karma. That particular one is free and legit (no delayed billing, completely free), as they make their money off of showing you ads for credit services or credit cards that match your approximate score level.

Just keep in mind that not all scores are created equal. Credit Karma and others offer either simulated scores or "educational" scores. Those are approximations of what to expect from a full FICO scoring, but can vary wildly from what a bank sees.  For instance, my Capital One score is 765, but my Amex is 740, Credit Karma is 761, and my Barclays is 706. Also keep in mind that you can swing up/down 25+ points depending on monthly utilization, meaning that your score will always look better after paying off charge cards and any large credit card payments you plan to make in any give month. 

Amex uses FICO Score 8, which is a popular scoring system used by many banks.  It is aggressive, meaning it may look lower than other scores, but I think erring on the tough side is better than looking at an artificially inflated score.  You can always buy a legit credit score, the same ones the bank sees. Those are through myfico.  You are also entitled to one free full credit score a year from each of the big 3 agencies. 

You are executive platinum status with AA? Damn dude you must fly a lot.... I wish I was EP AA status... free upgrades on every flight right??

Yes eXp is nice and free upgrades for deomestic. I usually get them 90% of the time. But the best benefit is the 4 System wide upgrades a year. Meaning buy economy to Asia and get biz class for free. Last year they gave us 8 so huge devaluation. Plus the 1st class lounge access is one of my fav perks. Another great perk is the same day flight change. If I want to leave early or stay late. I can change my flight that day for anytime that day for free

I won't hit Exp next year cause of the new dollar amount qualifier. So 2017 will be my last year with exp. plus plan mantain Plat+ for the lounge access and upgrade list

Just a general award booking PSA: I just booked a Korean Air award trip. The website kept on fucking up with error codes. Turns out that if you pick First Class for a two leg+ itinerary, you'll get an error code if one of the legs only offers business class (ie HKT to ICN leg). The part that pisses me off is that if kept on finding the itinerary, so the website is smart enough to search for mixed class trips, but not smart enough to book and pay for them. A call into Korean Air booking solved it. She put a temp hold on a booking and I looked it up under my Skypass account. Seriously though, in this day and age, one would think things would work easier. 

On the up shot, transfers from Chase to Korean are instantaneous. I transferred 30 minutes ago and the agent already saw the updated amount. 

• Like 2

Just a general award booking PSA: I just booked a Korean Air award trip. The website kept on fucking up with error codes. Turns out that if you pick First Class for a two leg+ itinerary, you'll get an error code if one of the legs only offers business class (ie HKT to ICN leg). The part that pisses me off is that if kept on finding the itinerary, so the website is smart enough to search for mixed class trips, but not smart enough to book and pay for them. A call into Korean Air booking solved it. She put a temp hold on a booking and I looked it up under my Skypass account. Seriously though, in this day and age, one would think things would work easier. 

On the up shot, transfers from Chase to Korean are instantaneous. I transferred 30 minutes ago and the agent already saw the updated amount. 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on Korean Air after your trip

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on Korean Air after your trip

It amazes me how terrible all Award Searches are !! Every airline website Award search is shit

I purchase KVStool. Amazing site to help me look for award space and timetables.

I flyer Korean Air once on their awesome a380. But did not get their 1st class. Looking forward to your flight info

It amazes me how terrible all Award Searches are !! Every airline website Award search is shit

I purchase KVStool. Amazing site to help me look for award space and timetables.

I flyer Korean Air once on their awesome a380. But did not get their 1st class. Looking forward to your flight info

Agreed. They all suck!  You'd think the airlines would want more automation and less phone reps, leading me to believe that the systems suck on purpose in order to discourage casual users from redeeming points on the more exotic (read: F & J class) itineraries. 

Wish I could update you guys sooner on the trip, but that won't be until March.  

• Like 1

Agreed. They all suck! You'd think the airlines would want more automation and less phone reps, leading me to believe that the systems suck on purpose in order to discourage casual users from redeeming points on the more exotic (read: F & J class) itineraries.

Wish I could update you guys sooner on the trip, but that won't be until March.

If you book award flights look into kvstool. Today for example I called AA Exp Desk and searched online and they claim they didn't have an award ticket. But according to my kvS search they had seats. After asking to talk supervisor, boom it appeared !

If you book award flights look into kvstool. Today for example I called AA Exp Desk and searched online and they claim they didn't have an award ticket. But according to my kvS search they had seats. After asking to talk supervisor, boom it appeared !

Diamond member here. Been using it for a year or two. Easily justified expense when you can consolidate searches in one tool.  However......

I find that the findings aren't always well defined. For instance, I have found CX availability that wasn't found by 4 different AA agents (hang up and call again is so real that it is a known term). The only explanation is that the search, in my instance under CX parameters, was only showing MPC availability, not AA availability. CX does give preference to MPC over all else, so that might explain things. So I guess you could say that KVS might show too much from time to time, if that's possible. Still, I find it indispensable. The speed alone is crazy. I can search a dozen scenarios in the time of 2-3 searches using just websites. I usually have at least 3 instances running when I use it. 

Edited by Little Evil

I just received an unsolicited offer for an Alaskan Air credit card that came with 30k +5k miles after creating a FF account with them..  Should I wait for a better offer from them?  According to Discover I have a perfect (850 out of 850) credit rating.

I just received an unsolicited offer for an Alaskan Air credit card that came with 30k +5k miles after creating a FF account with them..  Should I wait for a better offer from them?  According to Discover I have a perfect (850 out of 850) credit rating.

35,000 Alaska miles isn't a bad deal.  I don;t know how high their credit card offers get, but I think the standard form them is like 25,000.

As I have noted in a number of posts, Alaska frequently sells miles at discounted rates which can really make a business or first class ticket very "doable."

They're still the best bargain going, at 50,000 miles (each way) for business on Cathay and 70,000 miles (each way) for Cathay first (assuming you can find availability!)