Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

Do you points / miles gurus know if PayPal charges count towards your spend thresholds to meet your minimum spend bonus?

Edited by bouncewithme

Do you points / miles gurus know if PayPal charges count towards your spend thresholds to meet your minimum spend bonus?

You have to be careful with payment systems, as it highly depends on the combination of service and credit card. Some are spend, others are cash advances which typically do not qualify towards initial spend and come with steep cash advance fees. Best to Google your exact combination and look for an answer within the last 6 months, as these policies change all the time. Chances are, someone over at Flyertalk has already asked and has been answered on your combo already. 

Someone in this group had mentioned another great resource for initial spend--Radpad. It is a rent payment service that counts as spend, so if you are renting a condo, this would be ideal to knock off your entire minimum spend (assuming you're rent is above $1k for most credit cards or $1.3k for CSR). I think that was Footy or Navidnavid's suggestion. Doesn't work for mortgages though. 

Have lots of business class pics from my travels much find them & post them here.

Is this the correct thread ????

Jack.

Have lots of business class pics from my travels much find them & post them here.

Is this the correct thread ????

Jack.

I'm sure no one would object.  This was originally a points hustle thread, but has come to encompass anything related to frequent flying. That being said, I think we've collectively seen the J cabins on most planes, so I wouldn't go an post anything old like BA's tired J cabin. If you have the newer Singapore J or any inside news on CX's upcoming refresh, then I'd definitely be interested. 

I was actually doing a load of CX PJ's in the wash the other day (literally 5-6 sets of CX PJ's) and thought that I should post a pic of all the left-over amenity kits I have.  

• Like 2

Just booked award travel business class. LAX-ICN on Asiana. ICN-BKK on Thai. Return is all Singapore Air with a night over in Singapore BKK-SIN-SFO. 180k points. Will be my first time flying Singapore so looking forward to it!

• Like 2

Just booked award travel business class. LAX-ICN on Asiana. ICN-BKK on Thai. Return is all Singapore Air with a night over in Singapore BKK-SIN-SFO. 180k points. Will be my first time flying Singapore so looking forward to it!

Sounds great some pics of your flight & seats etc would be great to see here ????

Cheers.

Jack.

I flew the new SG Biz ( upholstery is designed by BMW, luxury car company) one way from SFO-HKG-BKK and it was a great experience!

Followed it up with 1st class, one way from HKG-SFO in SG's new first class and it was even more amazing....the TV is one of the nicest in the skies, with one of the best IFE's too... unbelievable..... don't forget to book the cook for an opportunity to eat Lobster Thermidor 30K feet in the sky (so tasty) ....

I thought CX was the best... until I flew SG...  :GoldenSmile1:

Love how easy it also is to book award tickets online at their site, and you also receive a 10% miles discount when booked online.... being wait listed also gives you a very good possibility to get the seat, just have your bags ready and be ready to leave because sometimes you don't receive confirmation that a wait listed seat has opened up until just 24 hours before scheduled departure...

BTW, in SG first class, at the suggestion of the purser, I was drinking both Dom and Krug.... after one glass of Krug it was confirmed.... I am indeed a Dom kind of guy....love the SG 1st class pajamas too  :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by navidnavid
  • Like 3

According to Gary Leff (View From The Wing), availability on EVA business class from Chicago to Taipei is WIDE open, starting in November:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/09/15/flash-star-alliance-business-class-award-availability-for-the-whole-family-to-asia/

EVA's Premium Laurel service is great and is a FANTASTIC use of 80,000 United miles (each way), IMHO.

Unfortunately, my next two trips (November and February) are already booked using AA and Alaska miles on Cathay.  

But I can't complain -- my Cathay first class flight back from BKK-LAX in Nov. only cost me 70,000 Alaska miles, and my first class flight TO BKK from LAX in February was a pre-devaluation booking, so it was only 67,500 AA miles!  The other legs (LAX-BKK in Nov. and BKK-LAX in Feb.) were booked in business class pre-devaluation for only 55,000 AA miles. 

....I can't believe that I already consider late March as "the good old days"! 555

• Like 3

According to Gary Leff (View From The Wing), availability on EVA business class from Chicago to Taipei is WIDE open, starting in November:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/09/15/flash-star-alliance-business-class-award-availability-for-the-whole-family-to-asia/

EVA's Premium Laurel service is great and is a FANTASTIC use of 80,000 United miles (each way), IMHO.

Unfortunately, my next two trips (November and February) are already booked using AA and Alaska miles on Cathay.  

But I can't complain -- my Cathay first class flight back from BKK-LAX in Nov. only cost me 70,000 Alaska miles, and my first class flight TO BKK from LAX in February was a pre-devaluation booking, so it was only 67,500 AA miles!  The other legs (LAX-BKK in Nov. and BKK-LAX in Feb.) were booked in business class pre-devaluation for only 55,000 AA miles. 

....I can't believe that I already consider late March as "the good old days"! 555

Yeah, my three month summer holiday is drawing to a close soon and I'm flying home CX business for 55K AA miles that I booked nearly 11 months ago. Next year's trip is gonna cost me more miles one way or the other, but I'll manage. For now, I've got to wait a few months to satisfy Chase's 5/24 rule and get that new Reserve card.

• Like 3

Yeah, my three month summer holiday is drawing to a close soon and I'm flying home CX business for 55K AA miles that I booked nearly 11 months ago. Next year's trip is gonna cost me more miles one way or the other, but I'll manage. For now, I've got to wait a few months to satisfy Chase's 5/24 rule and get that new Reserve card.

Three month holiday? I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like. You're one lucky man!

This past Aug was my last hurrah on the old award chart for CX F. Everything moving forward is now 160k. Still, it could be worse, so I'm not complaining too much. Things are still quite attainable.  

Got my reserve card, btw. I didn't fall into the 5/24 rule, as I've been waiting specifically for a solid new card to come around. This is going to sound vain, but it was a huge let down when mine arrived in a plain white envelope and a plastic card. The card has been so popular that they ran out of the fancy boxes and metal cards. Just heard that they'll eventually replace this one with a metal one, but there goes the initial feeling of "upgrade". Oh well. Still earns at the higher rate, so I'll just have to slum it with the plastic ;)

• Like 2

I just closed my Sapphire Preferred account.

It was just a waste of an annual fee, because I have multiple Ink cards and Chase pissed me off when they refused to let me challenge a blatant rip-off.  Going to cull my Chase cards down now.

Ironically, the one card I will always keep is the one that had the charge on it -- my IHG card.  The annual free room is SO worth the $49 annual fee that I can't bring myself to drop it.

• Like 3

I nearly tipped my hand on Thai Airways BNE-BKK direct for an upcoming trip in October but decided against it and went cattle class instead, $2KAus each way but only 9 hrs.  What's it like with Thai Airways ? worth it ?

Edited by Kenjataimu

Going a bit off topic, as this discusses a hotel guest program:

I'm taking something "new" for spin over the next 12 months....I think it's probably a crappy deal, but I decided to try it out.

By way of background, I have Platinum status with IHG as a result of my Chase IHG card (referenced above).  Platinum status used to get me some perks, but I've never scored a great room upgrade or anything like that.  Last time I was at the Pattaya Holiday Inn, they didn't even move me to an Executive level room (#FirstWorldProblems 555)

Because I have some InterContinental stays coming up (1 night here in USA; 4 more in Pattaya in November) and I am considering more with my February trip, I decided to take the plunge and pay for IHG Ambassador status for the next year.  It is NOT cheap -- $200/year -- but the benefits include guaranteed room upgrade (on paid stays), late checkout (yada yada yada), free fruit/water and (and this one is worthwhile) an annual free second weekend night with a paid stay the first weekend night.

What got me to try it out was the guaranteed upgrade -- it's not "where available;" it is "guaranteed."  Even at the lowest level upgrade for my stay in Pattaya, I'm looking at recouping at least $120 in value.  As an IHG Platinum member, I would likely would NOT get that upgrade.  If the next level room is sold out -- and there were very few left when I booked -- as I understand it, they have to upgrade me to whatever else is "up the food chain."  Worst case scenario, I get a room with direct pool access and a big private patio; best case scenario, I end up in a suite.

I'm thinking of leveraging the free 2nd weekend night, along with my "IHG card free night" AND my Citi Prestige "4th night free" to tack on 3 free nights on to 4 paid nights for my February trip.  Although free nights technically are not eligible for the guaranteed upgrade, I'm hoping they will just let me stay in whatever room they put me in for the duration of my stay (so the 4 nights booked via Citi Prestige will come first).  I've got a buttload of IHG points, so I may just spend my whole trip out there.

A second alternative is to spend the first 2 nights of my stay at the Bangkok InterContinental in February, paying (a damn high rate!) for my first night and getting the second one comped (I think the paid first night gets me the upgrade, but I'm not positive).

InterContinental in Pattaya is isolated and pain in the ass to get from/to, but I LOVE it out there.  It's truly a resort that is only a 10 minute, 200-250 baht taxi ride to central Pattaya (and I try to get on their shuttle bus whenever possible). 

Sorry for the digression -- I went into some detail, but not total, so please shoot me a PM f you want more info, ESPECIALLY if you're considering an upcoming stay at the Pattaya InterContinental!

I'll try to remember to check back in after my November stay to let you know how it works out.

Stayed at Sheraton, well...  known as IC Pattaya last Feb, I love the property and thank god for the fact that my LLT have motorbike, so that keep my wallet away from motoboy mafias.  Right now, I am sitting on 136k IHG points but you guys use points at Holiday Inn Pattaya?  I feel I cant justify to use 25k points when paid rate is only $105 or so.  I see Holiday Inn Express under construction at Soi Buakhao, and we all better pray that it'll be on pointbreaks sometime next year 555.  

If any Americans (or Aussies who happens to have United points), it's only 30k for business class between Australia/NZ to BKK.  I will find myself in Australia before heading off to Swampy next year, and just grabbed Thai Airways' A350 ride from MEL for 30k points..  Great deal for 8ish hour plane ride!

• Like 3

Right now, I am sitting on 136k IHG points but you guys use points at Holiday Inn Pattaya?  I feel I cant justify to use 25k points when paid rate is only $105 or so.  I see Holiday Inn Express under construction at Soi Buakhao, and we all better pray that it'll be on pointbreaks sometime next year 555.  

A couple of years ago, the Pattaya Holiday Inn was 15,000 points/night and was a good value.  As you note, it's tough to pay 25,000 points when you can get the room for $105 or so.  I have booked it with points, which are fully refundable, then changed to a cheap, non-refundable rate as my trip got closer and it was clear I was going to be able to go.

Hadn't heard about the HI Express, but that sounds interesting -- a "points break" opportunity would be fantastic, but I gotta figure it would be available for around 15,000 point range.

I've heard rumors of Marriott looking to build a new property in Pattaya after flipping its current hotel to Avani.

FPJM, I immediately thought of you when I saw this post:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/09/17/singapore-airport-jail/

lol. I guess they are paying attention....

On a separate note, I just booked CX F for one way to Phuket in Feb. The problem is that they asked for 110k AA miles instead of the 80k I was prepared to pay.  While I snatched the seat, I now only have 50k AA miles.  I have 66k Chase points, soon to be 160k in mid Dec.  Question now is should I chance a Dec Singapore redemption or buy a return ticket?  I suppose I could also figure out a way to get 20k AA miles for CX J as well.  What would you guys do?  That 110k was a kick in the gut.  I haven't been paying attention (or maybe just got ripped off).  Funny thing is that I had to do the "hang up and try again" with AA.  Those bastards....I swear they just play dumb on the first call. The recorded message even says "welcome back" when you call more than once in a short period.  They know you're calling again and probably give up and award you the ticket. 

LE 110k miles seems higher than usual?... Must be because you are flying into Phuket? You may wanna call and get an explanation, it could be an error and get fixed....SG award space is usually very good if you have the flexibility... You can't go wrong with their HKG-SFO route....

Edited by navidnavid
  • Like 1

FPJM, I immediately thought of you when I saw this post:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/09/17/singapore-airport-jail/

lol. I guess they are paying attention....

On a separate note, I just booked CX F for one way to Phuket in Feb. The problem is that they asked for 110k AA miles instead of the 80k I was prepared to pay.  While I snatched the seat, I now only have 50k AA miles.  I have 66k Chase points, soon to be 160k in mid Dec.  Question now is should I chance a Dec Singapore redemption or buy a return ticket?  I suppose I could also figure out a way to get 20k AA miles for CX J as well.  What would you guys do?  That 110k was a kick in the gut.  I haven't been paying attention (or maybe just got ripped off).  Funny thing is that I had to do the "hang up and try again" with AA.  Those bastards....I swear they just play dumb on the first call. The recorded message even says "welcome back" when you call more than once in a short period.  They know you're calling again and probably give up and award you the ticket. 

Nope, you weren't ripped off. The new award price is 110K from the USA to Asia region 2 in F. 80K to Asia region 1.

• Like 1

Here's a link to what I believe is the current AA oneworld award chart:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/redeem/award-travel/oneworld-and-other-airline-partner-award-chart.jsp

First is, indeed, 110k each way....ouch!  Truly drives home how much the devaluation sucked.  I have written off AA for first class travel on Cathay.  Alaska appears to be the final alternative for Cathay first award travel.

The "exchange rate" on them is pretty bad, but I think some hotels are running bonuses on points transfers to AA right now.  AMEX just bumped the bonus on their SWP AMEX to 35k, and they've always had a great transfer rate of 1.25 AA for 1 SWP.  Gotta wonder how long that "deal" is gonna last, though, with the Marriott takeover closing soon.

One of my "fallbacks" with Chase UR is to use them on Korean (which usually has great award availability - think it's 90k or 95k in first), but that's only because Singapore's schedule into LAX isn't very good.  

If you can/do travel through SFO, Singapore would be the way to go!  

BTW, do you have one of the AA cards that kicks you back 10% on mile redemptions each year?  If so, 10,000 (that's max) of your 110k should be coming back to you (not in time to help with the return ticket, but could help bump your 50k back up to a biz class ticket for next year).

• Like 2

Wow…  I was flush with AA points a year ago and booked a few trips in advance that would last me this entire past year up until now.  I was so "set" with travel for so long on AA awards that I haven't been paying close attention to AA's program.  That was one hell of a shock to see the 110k each way.  Good news is that, like FPJM said, I get the 10k rebate having an Aviator Silver card.  I don't even use the card anymore, but I knew there was a reason why I kept it. 

So, I have 67k left in AA points.  I will have 170k in UR's, but not until the end of Nov of this year.  If I’m planning travel in late Feb 2017, do I gamble waiting on those UR's or drop a bit of cash to top up AA to 70k business return on CX?  

So, I have 67k left in AA points.  I will have 170k in UR's, but not until the end of Nov of this year.  If I’m planning travel in late Feb 2017, do I gamble waiting on those UR's or drop a bit of cash to top up AA to 70k business return on CX?  

I think you'll be fine waiting until Nov. to use the Chase URs.  I think Singapore has good availability for its KrisFlyer members.  

Also, Korean reportedly is usually wide open, so you can look at them as a way of getting back via transfer of points from Chase UR.  They used to have BRUTAL layovers at ICN (still do on some flights), but I think they now have a flight that leaves BKK at 9:50 a.m. with only a 2:50 layover.

Maybe I'm stubborn, but, unless there is a good "bonus" on purchased AA miles, I would use that Aviator card to purchase some gift cards to bump my account up to 70k AA miles.  I'm hooked on Amazon GCs these days because I buy so much crap there and because I avoid the $5.95-6.95 fee per card.  (555)  This week, Staples is offering a deal -- free $15 Staples GC with purchase of $300 in MasterCard GCs (which more than nets out the GC charges if you can find 2 $200 MC cards).

I should also note that I have "diversified" through mile purchase bonuses to bulk up my Alaska account -- still only 70k for Cathay first or only 50k for Cathay biz via Alaska.  These days, I think that's the best deal going by far.

50k Alaskan for CX biz?! Wow, I need to get some Alaskan miles.....incredible value....

Yeah 110k with CX F under AA program since last March. It sucks, and I can confirm that Korean Air have tons of available space. I believe they fly a380 to BKK during peak season so nice bird to enjoy before enjoy yourself with Thai chicks 555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

AMEX just bumped the bonus on their SWP AMEX to 35k, and they've always had a great transfer rate of 1.25 AA for 1 SWP.  Gotta wonder how long that "deal" is gonna last, though, with the Marriott takeover closing soon.

Got a partial answer to this question today on numerous blogs -- the 1.25 to 1 exchange rate on SWP transfer looks like it will continue, at least for a little while.

The "big" news today was that you can immediately transfer Marriott Rewards to SWP (and vice versa) at a rate of 3 Marriott points for each SWP point.

So that effectively works out to 60,000 Marriott Reward points for 25,000 miles on a number of carriers (excluding United).  

Since I was building my Marriott Rewards points for a 5 night stay in Pattaya that is no longer possible, I may transfer some over to SWP to bump my orphaned SWP points up to 20,000 so I can transfer if/when needed to AA, KrisFlyer or Alaska.

EDIT:  A couple of quick follow-ups on this:

I just linked my Marriott and SWP accounts -- it was a piece of cake.  Because I am SWP Gold (thanks to my AMEX Platinum), I immediately became Marriott Gold (which scores me lounge access/free breakfast)

Here's a blog that contains the link:  http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/09/23/how-to-link-marriott-starwood-accounts/

IF you're looking for a way to build points in either SWP or Marriott, the best card right now would appear to be the AMEX SWP Business, which was recently bumped to a 35,000 SWP bonus (assuming you can hit the hefty minimum spend).  At the 3:1 exchange rate, that equates to 105,000 Marriott points, far more than the current 80,000 offered on the Chase Marriott card (although the Chase Marriott card has a MUCH lower minimum spend).

• Like 1