IGNORED

Agoda or book with hotel directly?

Luv2Phuket

I'm back again with another hotel inquiry.

I have seen some posts advising BMs AGAINST using Agoda and advising them instead to book with the hotel directly. I'm curious as to the rationale for this, based on what may be a unique situation.

I have contacted the hotel and was quoted a rate of 2800 baht/night via email. On Agoda, the same type/style of room is currently booking at 2400 baht/night.

Agoda allows for cancellation up to 7 days out from the stay, but I am waiting to hear back from the hotel on their cancellation policy (the email that the hotel sent me asked for my credit card info, but I'm not comfortable providing that until I know what the cancellation/refund policy is and how much they are going to charge me)

Assuming a similar cancellation policy, I'm a little confused on why I wouldn't just book it with Agoda and save the 400 baht per night (which would be 4000 baht over the course of my 10-day trip).

Any thoughts/input?

I have only had good experiences with Agoda and saved plenty from booking independantly - and it is not unusual to visit a web site and read no vacancies - but Agoda still has bookings on special rates for the same accomodation.

what i dont like with Agoda is the time that they steal from you , you find a hotel you like at a price that they advertise and when you go to book BAM they whack on more money , some people dont see this and carry on with the booking others see it and think what the hell and book anyway , ( both options is why Agoda does this )

I find its a good site to book for a day or two and then try to sort out a different room rate there ,if you cant then find another hotel or book the rest of your hotel from thailand through Agoda .

Another good site is Trivago which basically searches through other sites including Agoda and booking.com and gives you options from which site to book

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

I've used Agoda and have no problems with it. But as gareth reports you got to carry thru with the booking because they add on the taxes and fees to the price later. They don't show the real price until it comes time to push the confirm button.

After they add on the taxes and fees I'v found that it usually matches the price from the hotel website.

The best way to book hotels, IMNSHO, is to find the hotel in the area you want through Agoda. Check what Agoda is charging for the hotel including all the service fees (note sometimes service fee can be as high as 30% of the price so it must be taken in account). Then google the hotel to see if the hotel has a website. If there is a website check to see what the price is on the website. If no website but a phone number or email address, call or send email to check price. I have been doing this for all my hotel bookings and I found that Agoda will often have the best price (overall including service fee) but not always. So it is best to do some legwork to save few dollars.

Xtremedude

In My experience if you know the hotel and they know you then you will always get a better deal direct. My major gripe with Agoda is their unethical business mode. In particulat they comceal and do not diplay the true cost to you until the very last transaction page. At this stage they add on the taxes, booking fees and credit card charges. All up these can add up to around 10% of the quoted room rate. If you are booking for 4 weeks this can be a sizeable bite.

If I have not stayed at the hotel before then I only book a few days with Agoda, max 3 days. If I like the hotel then I deal direct with the management. I always use the approach, I have booked elsewhere but I like this place and I am prepared to cancel and stay here if we get a deal. I then point out that " - a vacant room costs them money,afterall for the hotel there is no profit in having the room stay vacant". I take the listed Agoda price and discount it by 15%, a good starting ploy. If not acceptable then I leave it for a day. Next day go back and I find I can get around 10% of the listed Agoda price plus often an upgrade at no extra cost. Afterall they are keen to keep up the vacancy rate. Seems to work for me

Thanks so much for the explanation -- I'm sure the slight price difference will be made up on taxes, etc. at the end.

Given their better cancellation policy, I am going to go through the hotel to book.....now I just have to decide WHICH hotel! 555555!

Clicked through on Agoda and you guys were dead-on correct! After Agoda tacked on fees, taxes, etc., it was the same as the hotel rack rate and more than the hotel advance booking rate. Plus, the taxes, fees, etc. are in a little box on the right side of the screen that I likely would not have noticed if you guys didn't alert me to it.

350 baht per day in taxes and fees adds up over a 10-night stay.

Thanks again for pointing this out to me!

I booked 3 nights at April Suites on route to airport using the agoda app. The ease of use is excellent and instant confirmation. I've had a few friends double booked recently so I figured my booking may be safer. When I turned up at April Suites I was advised that I was being moved to August Suites as April were full. Not an issue, now I'm in hotel they are offering me lot cheaper rate that advertised.

center]'''''''''''You only pass through this life once; you don't come back for an encore.''''''''''''[/center]

Clicked through on Agoda and you guys were dead-on correct! After Agoda tacked on fees, taxes, etc., it was the same as the hotel rack rate and more than the hotel advance booking rate. Plus, the taxes, fees, etc. are in a little box on the right side of the screen that I likely would not have noticed if you guys didn't alert me to it.

350 baht per day in taxes and fees adds up over a 10-night stay.

Thanks again for pointing this out to me!

The answer is simple try ALL options.

Keep check back at Agoda as prices change very very rapidly there. Here is an example i have repeated many times but it highlights this point.

November 201l booked April Suites on Agoda - $11

Told my friend and he went to book the SAME nights about 24 hours after I have booked. price was now closer to £60.

Agoda sells capacity so its rate fluctuate.

Also remember - the Loyalty Points are variable if you are a frequent hotel user (not just in Thailand). if you are a frequent traveler you can gain even if the prices are the same.

Also try booking.com - same owners as Agoda but no upfront fees. far fewer hotels to choose from though.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

The cheapest way to book a hotel is to not book a hotel :P

I usually just book a hotel for a couple of days from my own country and then find some more accommodation once I'm here. You can save up to 50% over booking on the internet.

The downside to this is Xmas time, as I'm finding out now, 'cos everywhere is booked out.

I have found on 2 occasions booking hotel via websites (one of them being Agoda) that the hotel has told me they were full when I talked to them direclty. I sometimes book 2 -3 rooms whilst in Thailand for the thai familiy with kids to come along and enjoy beach life and swimming pool for a couple of days. Last time the hotel told me they were full (they actually had a large conference venue going on) but via Agoda I got 3 rooms- It made me wonder if the hotels allocate a certain block of rooms to the sites.

I have found on 2 occasions booking hotel via websites (one of them being Agoda) that the hotel has told me they were full when I talked to them direclty. I sometimes book 2 -3 rooms whilst in Thailand for the thai familiy with kids to come along and enjoy beach life and swimming pool for a couple of day. Last time the hotel told me they were full (they actually had a large conference venue going on) but via Agoda I got 3 rooms- It made me wonsder if the hotels allocate a certain blok of rooms to the sites.

Yes and vice versa. Agoda will sometimes show as full but rooms are available direct. Another reason to always check both options.

Yes and vice versa. Agoda will sometimes show as full but rooms are available direct. Another reason to always check both options.

This is good advice, why not check all your options and go with the best deal. I like Agoda because I can pay up front for the hotel with my credit card and I figure it is safer with them then the hotel.

Look at booking.com their rates are good, I found Agoda cheaper by not much and you pay up front, booking.com you pay on arrival and are sometimes cheaper also cancellation is easy.

I used Agoda on 3 of the 4 hotels I stayed with. I usually book my trip early and like to use Agoda for not having to have a lot of baht at check in. Very easy just to hand receptionist sheet of paper.

Well I do agree the convenience of not carrying loads of money. Well agoda is cheaper at times. But we must scout around as well.

Look at booking.com their rates are good, I found Agoda cheaper by not much and you pay up front, booking.com you pay on arrival and are sometimes cheaper also cancellation is easy.

Booking.com has the advantage of no up front fees.

The disadvantage is that it has only 30% of the hotels Agoda has.

If your hotel IS on booking.com its well worth a try.

Prices should always be the same or very similar on both as they are owned by the same people. Booking.com has far fewer hotels due to the lack of up front booking fees as many hotels will not offer this.

Use the booking site (agoda, booking.com, etc.) to locate the hotel you want, then always book directly. Booking direct will always be cheaper.

When you book through a website they always take a cut and the hotel gets less money for the room as opposed to a direct booking. The website fee is usually 10-15%, so if you try to bargain with the hotel that is what you have to work with and they still end up better.

Also not all hotels will put all of their inventory on the booking websites. If they are smart they will only load 5-10 at a time on Agoda, Booking.com, etc and when those 5 get filled they load more.

Booking direct with the hotel is the best option. Also re-confirm your booking 1-2 weeks before arrival to make sure it was processed correctly and so you don't get a nasty shock on arrival. Sometimes paperwork gets lost or there is a glitch in the reservation system, it happens often.

i am a big fan of booking sites as they are generally cheaper and certainly more efficient than the hotels themselves.

the hotels often pre-sell rooms at cheaper than rack rates to the bookers to generate heads on beds.

5 x last trip i did online comparison versus ringing hotel direct, and all 5x hotels.com or booking .com was cheaper.

yes, you do need to enter info to get tax totalled price, but i find it worth the effort.

• 11 months later...

Bookings .Com a sister to Agoda actually ,no extra fees at the end , no 10%  tax and no 7 % service charge WTF as is usual on Agoda usually 17% extra at the end . . so I try to use Bookings .com all the time and not Agoda ,

I look on Trip advisor first for hotels I might like , then go to Bookings .Com and usually my selections are there , they also offer free cancelation and even no deposit required on a lot of there hotels., never let me down I think a good way to book a hotel..

Agoda is by far and away the best hotel site in SEA....

Had nothing but good experiences with them over 8 years including timely refunds , asshole hotel managers etc

Sydney / Pattaya / Miami - good life

Archived