IGNORED

PATTAYA - correct pronunciation

Rowdy501

What about Korean Hangul.....does that buck the trend somewhat ? Apparently it's relatively easy to learn,

compared to most other languages in the region.

Edit:Looked it up on wikipedia....and it all looks bloody complicated !

I've only been to South Korea once...and that was over 20 years ago

but I still remember the word for beer though ! (maekju).

Hangui is an excellent concept !

but i'm not sure how it deals with tones .. japanese has no tones, not sure about korean.

in khmer it's worse, they don't even count up to 10 but just up to 5, so 6 is "5 and 1" and so on..crazy !

why the fuck asian scripts and languages are so damn complex for no reason ?

and why any proposed innovation and simplification is disdained and rejected ?

So in Khmer you just have to learn 6 words to be able to count to 10, whereas in English you actually have to learn 10 words?

Not exactly the best example to prove your point, is it?... :D

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

Uum... Pronounce Pattaya the same way that the Thai's do... That should be a step in the right direction... :Think1:

So in Khmer you just have to learn 6 words to be able to count to 10, whereas in English you actually have to learn 10 words?

Not exactly the best example to prove your point, is it?... :D

no, i was saying that the khmer way to count is bullshit ... they use "base 5" ???

no, i was saying that the khmer way to count is bullshit ... they use "base 5" ???

If that's the way that they learn from birth then it really is not a problem. It only seems strange to us, but not to them

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

If that's the way that they learn from birth then it really is not a problem. It only seems strange to us, but not to them

hahaha you dont know the average khmer ... they can barely make 2+2, let alone counting up to 20.

Perhaps the Khmer system is just based on one hand, whereas our decimal system is based on 2 hands.

• 5 months later...

it makes me cringe whenever I hear someone say Patty-uh. Say it like the Thais say it and I have never heard a Thai person say it that way. But however one chooses to say it, it's still one of my favorite words.

"Picky girls, don't get picked... simple as that."“It's a funny feeling being taken under the wing of a dragon, it's warmer than you'd thinkâ€

Well, Pattaya isn't the only name that causes problems.

If you've never heard someone say Phuket before, you might think it sounds like "fuck it" :D

And I remember the 1st time I went to Pattaya I thought Naklua was prononounced Naa Glua น่ากลัว (meaning "scary") instead of Naa Gleua นาเกลือ (meaning "salt field").

That sure made some Thais smile :D

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was pronounced "Party - yeah!"

Before I'd even heard the word pronounced, I heard it it in my head as Pat -a -yah with the emphasis on the Pat. After hearing the song, I assumed it was Pat -a YAA (emphasis o the ya). I've since heard many many English people say Pate-ya with the emphasis on the edible spread. WTF ? I just don't get that. :Crazy1:

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want to put stress on it then it should be on the last syllable, as in most Thai words (like com-pu-TER), so: Pa-ta-YAA

Well, as long as you don't call it Patters you should be fine :D

Every Thai word is stressed on the final syllable.

That's rubbish,

No syllables are stressed in the Thai language because of where they appear in the word.

Any syllable that has a high or falling tone will sound to us as if it is being stressed. But it is not intentional, simply the tone. Long and short vowels will sound to us as differing levels of stress

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

Normally I like to leave some room open for exceptions I haven't thought of, but I guess in this case you're quite right.

That's rubbish,

No syllables are stressed in the Thai language because of where they appear in the word.

Any syllable that has a high or falling tone will sound to us as if it is being stressed. But it is not intentional, simply the tone. Long and short vowels will sound to us as differing levels of stress

Have a look here:

http://slice-of-thai.com/stress/

The guy who wrote it also helped with Benjawan Beckers dictionary and the Talking Thai app.

There they use ~ for unstressed syllables and - for stressed syllables in their transliteration sytem