Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

drug resistant MalariaI

bigbill340

Hi all,

I know that this will not be of huge concern in Patts, but it's not great news for Thailnad in general!!

Deadly malaria that is resistant to drug treatment has spread rapidly from Cambodia to the border between Thailand and Myanmar, raising concerns of an uncontrollable epidemic, scientists said Thursday.

A pair of studies published in The Lancet and the journal Science showed how the disease is moving fast into new territory and identified a region of the parasite's genome that may be responsible for mutating in order to survive.

Malaria is a mosquito-borne disease commonly caused by a parasite, Plasmodium falciparum, that kills up to 1.2 million people a year, according to 2010 estimates by the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, Seattle.

Malaria that was resistant to treatment with the current standard therapy, artemisinin, was confirmed in Cambodia in 2006 and has since surged 800 kilometers (500 miles) westward to the Thailand-Myanmar border, the researchers said.

By studying 3,202 patients along the northwestern border of Thailand near Myanmar from 2001 and 2010 and measuring the time it took them to clear malaria infections from their blood after treatment, scientists were able to show a steady increase in drug resistance.

The number of slow-clearing infections rose from 0.6 percent of cases treated in 2001 to 20 percent in 2010.

In western Cambodia, 42 percent of malaria cases were resistant between 2007 and 2010, indicating that the Thailand-Myanmar region was swiftly catching up to Cambodia's rates.

"Genetically determined artemisinin resistance in P. falciparum emerged along the Thailand-Myanmar border at least eight years ago and has since increased substantially," said The Lancet study.

"At this rate of increase, resistance will reach rates reported in western Cambodia in two to six years."

The research in the journal Science focused on what was making these parasites different, and found that a region on chromosome 13 of the parasite was strongly associated with slow clearance of infection.

They sequenced the genomes of 91 P. falciparum parasites from Cambodia and western Thailand and compared them to parasites from Laos, where resistance to the latest artemisinin-based drugs has not yet emerged.

They found seven genes that may be responsible for making the parasite resistant to drugs, and which may explain up to 35 percent of the growing resistance in southeast Asia.

"We have now seen the emergence of malaria resistant to our best drugs, and these resistant parasites are not confined to western Cambodia," said leader of the study Francois Nosten, director of the Shoklo Malaria Research Unit that studies and treats malaria in the Thai-Myanmar region.

"This is very worrying indeed and suggests that we are in a race against time to control malaria in these regions before drug resistance worsens and develops and spreads further."

The death toll from malaria has been declining in Africa -- the part of the world worst hit by the disease -- in recent years, largely due to the increased use of artemisinin drugs and the widening distribution of insecticide-treated bed nets.

But if resistance spreads to artemisinin therapies -- used alone or taken in combination with other anti-malarials -- some experts are concerned that a resurgence of drug-resistant malaria could return to Africa.

Researchers say a new anti-malaria drug is not expected to appear on the world market before the next decade is up.

The two studies were funded by the Wellcome Trust and the US National Institutes of Health, and included scientists from Mahidol University, Bangkok; the Centre for Tropical Medicine at Britain's Oxford University; and the Texas Biomedical Research Institute in the United States.

I heard a snipet of news on BBC radio 2 today that was conected to this, so I thought I would post to see what others thought?? Does it worry any of the ex-pats living out there? would it stop any of you from going to more rural parts on your hols??

Bill

Edited by bigbill340

I believe this is a drug for the treatment of Malaria once you have been infected. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Therefore if travelling to places like Myanmar (Burma), Laos or rural areas in Thailand I would take anti Malaria tablets before going, I'm not an expat but it would not stop me travelling as I'd take precautions beforehand.

Edited by DavidL

I believe this is a drug for the treatment of Malaria once you have been infected. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Therefore if travelling to places like Myanmar (Burma), Laos or rural areas in Thailand I would take anti Malaria tablets before going, I'm not an expat but it would not stop me travelling as I'd take precautions beforehand.

I'm not 100% sure? but I think the anti-malarials that you would take are just weaker pills to the ones you take to treat it. So this could be very bad news, as they said in the artical, there wont be any new malarial pill on the market until the end of the decade!

Bill

My Friend lady(Thai) Killed by Malaria two months ago , She was only in Hospital for 4 days, She caught it in Pattaya.. I,m very concerned about it, Sky News today about Malaria, in Burma and Thai Border was the worst, It is spreading few hundred miles, It will hit Pattaya at the matter of time..

Edited by jocky king

My Friend lady(Thai) Killed by Malaria two months ago , She was only in Hospital for 4 days, She caught it in Pattaya.. I,m very concerned about it, Sky News today about Malaria, in Burma and Thai Border was the worst, It is spreading few hundred miles, It will hit Pattaya at the matter of time..

Hi Jocky king,

WOW I had heard that it is likely to get to be an epidemic, but it's really quite scarey that it will reach Patts, if it hasn't already!!

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost someone close to you!

Bill

Edited by bigbill340

Hi Jocky king,

WOW I had heard that it is likely to get to be an epidemic, but it's really quite scarey that it will reach Patts, if it hasn't already!!

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost someone close to you!

Bill

No no, she was not close to me, Sorry i should have said a Friend's lady in my previous post... Yes, Vert scary... I,m wearing long trousers next time just in case, also plenty of repellent spray...

Edited by jocky king

Definitely something to take precautions against, seems that with the overuse of drugs these days more and more bugs are becoming super bugs that are resistant to the drugs that are available. I read the other week that hospitals in Australia are coming across bugs (bacteria, germs, etc...) that are not affected by antibiotics which can make a simple thing like a cut become life threatening if it become infected.

The councils should spray their areas with bugs spray like they do in Singapore, I wish I could get a hold of one of those sprayers myself for my own house so I could take more action against the mosquitoes around here.

Definitely something to take precautions against, seems that with the overuse of drugs these days more and more bugs are becoming super bugs that are resistant to the drugs that are available. I read the other week that hospitals in Australia are coming across bugs (bacteria, germs, etc...) that are not affected by antibiotics which can make a simple thing like a cut become life threatening if it become infected.

The councils should spray their areas with bugs spray like they do in Singapore, I wish I could get a hold of one of those sprayers myself for my own house so I could take more action against the mosquitoes around here.

I know it's a little off topic, but I wonder if that bug you're on about is M.R.S.A? A very good friend of mine caught it many years ago in hospital and it nearly killed him. It done a lot of harm it's self, but it has left him with a nerve disorder that means he is in constant pain, and he will only ever get worse!

I do think that this malaria strain is something that will be very hard to stop!

Bill

Jocky Mate, I am not disputing what you say but there is no history of Malaria Mosquito in Pattaya. How do you know she "caught" it in Pattaya as it can take a long time to manifest. Incubation for Malaria is a minimum of 7 days but can actually be several years. I had Malaria and it manifested around 18 months after I left Nigeria (where it was assumed I was infected).

STRESS bro, NOT disputing you but am genuinely interested as the "norm" would be at least a month or so and usually longer.

PS - very sorry to hear about your friends friend, I was lucky as I was back in the UK when it manifested so had no issues with treatment. the only way it affects me now is that I give blood and they mark it of as having previously had malaria so I assume they only use it for certain people.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Jocky Mate, I am not disputing what you say but there is no history of Malaria Mosquito in Pattaya. How do you know she "caught" it in Pattaya as it can take a long time to manifest. Incubation for Malaria is a minimum of 7 days but can actually be several years. I had Malaria and it manifested around 18 months after I left Nigeria (where it was assumed I was infected).

STRESS bro, NOT disputing you but am genuinely interested as the "norm" would be at least a month or so and usually longer.

PS - very sorry to hear about your friends friend, I was lucky as I was back in the UK when it manifested so had no issues with treatment. the only way it affects me now is that I give blood and they mark it of as having previously had malaria so I assume they only use it for certain people.

I will ask a friend about this again... Will come back to you as soon he gives me the details.. I only got half the story but I,m sure he tells me that she died 4 days in Hospital.. Looks likely you may be right.. Will come back to you during the week.

I will ask a friend about this again... Will come back to you as soon he gives me the details.. I only got half the story but I,m sure he tells me that she died 4 days in Hospital.. Looks likely you may be right.. Will come back to you during the week.

Two reasons to ask bro.

1. Genuinely interested as I have kids.

2. Not wanting to unduly worry people if avoidable. There is little if any history of malaria in this area and you would not get "just one" malaria mosquito, thats for sure. it simple could not survive and would have to have parents and siblings (by the hundreds) anyway.

If she died in 4 days she must have had a massive infestation of the parasite and that takes months or years to build up to that level - usually.

Problem with this stuff is that she could have "lived" in Pattaya for years - gone to Nong Khai (for example) for one day - and got bitten. Only takes one bite and a split second.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

• 3 weeks later...

i recently returned from Pattaya to Australia to end up in hospital the second day l was back with loss of appitite, a rash, headache very painful behind my eyes ( something l very very rarely get ) rapid temperature increase and decrease to the point of teeth chattering that cold with multible layers on to completely cooking in a pair of shorts.... l had a friend take me to hospital only to stay there 5 days on a IV with fluids and various antibiotics around the clock to find out l had gotten Dengue Fever from mosquitos l have been told there is no vaccination for this just have to be very careful try and wear aeroguard and spray frequented aread regularly.... Not a good feeling l tell you

i recently returned from Pattaya to Australia to end up in hospital the second day l was back with loss of appitite, a rash, headache very painful behind my eyes ( something l very very rarely get ) rapid temperature increase and decrease to the point of teeth chattering that cold with multible layers on to completely cooking in a pair of shorts.... l had a friend take me to hospital only to stay there 5 days on a IV with fluids and various antibiotics around the clock to find out l had gotten Dengue Fever from mosquitos l have been told there is no vaccination for this just have to be very careful try and wear aeroguard and spray frequented aread regularly.... Not a good feeling l tell you

I'm sorry to hear that you have not been good mate! I know that it really isn't meant to be a good thing to catch!

I hope it hasn't spoilt your view of Patts, and also that it wont stop you from going back and enjoying it again.

Thanks for posting!

Bill

Bill

lve been going there for 3 years now pretty regularly have many friends thats not going to stop me just have to be more careful mosquito repellant and sprays

Bill

lve been going there for 3 years now pretty regularly have many friends thats not going to stop me just have to be more careful mosquito repellant and sprays

Great to hear that it wont affect your future trips!!

I'm sure this will act as a reminder to some other mongers to wear the spray/repellant!!

Bill

Oscar got it right ,love is just an extended fear of not finding as good a deal in the future....