Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Temples in Bangkok

I'm not sure if this should be here or in Bangkok forum.

Are all temples strict with dress code or only some and are short sleeved shirts allowed or just long sleeved. Have a pair of trousers for visiting but not sure on the top half. And does this apply to Royal Places that are open to the public too?

I went into grand Palace and t-shirt was fine but had to hire a pair of baggy trousers because I was wearing shorts..was a good while ago though

Some of the most important BKK temples have fairly strict dress codes, for example shorts are not allowed, same for tanktops/singlets, as previous poster says you can scrape by with a T shirt but that may depend on the guards on duty - one might be relaxed one day; another might be tougher another day, so I'd suggest doing a BKK temple tour with long trousers/jeans and a proper shirt just to be on the safe side. Outside of BKK it relaxes totally and you're unlikely to come across any of this dress code stuff.

i agree that its better to have a pair of extra clothes ! especially for temples and palaces

• 3 weeks later...

Been to many temples across Thailand. Never came across a dress code issue myself, but did notice some tourists dressed in shorts or spaghetti tops for women being asked to be better dressed. But this was only in BKK, never saw this anywhere else.

I usually have a pair of trousers/jeans and t-shirt.

At the major temples in Bangkok you will need long pants and no tank tops. They just won't let you in to Wat Phrakeo dressed inappropriately.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

IMO attitudes are changing among Thais. I often go to large important temples upcountry and see Thai gals in shorts and sleeveless tops praying at the temples.

20-30 years ago this was a big big NO NO but times are changing. Of course at the large BKK wats the dress code is rigid but upcountry almost anything goes.

I think it is a matter of respect. My first visit to the Grand Palace started with me and about 20 other tourists all in one small room trying to find some long trousers to fit over our shorts. Reminded me of my wet weather golf pants and after walking around for nearly three hours I was very pleased to get them off.

When I was in Bali I visited temples and just outside there were stalls selling sarongs. Apparently Sarongs are acceptable but shorts are not so they were doing a brisk trade. I remember bargaining to buy a sarong for about $8 and walked around some fallen rocks and ruins that were being used as a monkey play gym.. Not as impressive as Thailand by a long way. When we left the Temple we walk back past the Sarong stall where the girl who bargained for the $8 sarong rushed out to offer me three for $9... I pointed out that she charged me $8 for one and she just looked at me and said..”Yes but before you need to buy”...gotta laugh.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire