IGNORED

Ao Nang Beach Krabi Mid-1980s

pubstud

Here's some scenes from Ao Nang Beach taken in the mid-1980s. There wasn't much to Ao Nang back then, the road facing the beach originally had a string of little wooden bungalow style resorts and these were beginning to go. Some concrete minimarts and shops were getting built. A couple of bars had sprung up but didn't really have gals available.

I remember the very first farang type bar that opened, some Thais from outside Krabi and they had a dog. I went there a few times and later on I talking with a local Thai man and he was pissed off that these outsiders had brought a dog into a muslim village, which is what Ao Nang still was at that time.

It was also walking past this same bar in the mid-1980s that I was first called "Papa" by the Thai gals. Before that day as I walked past bars anywhere in Thailand gals would call out "Hello handsum man" or "Hello sexy man" then this one day in Ao Nang some bitch called out "Hello Papa". I think every BG in Thailand must have heard her because from that day on I began hearing "Hello Papa" everywhere I went.

m_Ao Nang 1-2.JPGm_Ao Nang 5-1.JPG

m_Ao Nang 6-2.JPGm_Ao Nang 13-1.JPG

m_Ao Nang 18-1.JPGm_Ao Nang 21-1.JPG

m_Ao Nang 24-1.JPGm_Ao Nang 25-1.JPG

m_Ao Nang 26-1.JPGm_Ao Nang 28-1.JPGm_Ao Nang 33.JPG

Does look nice. I was there in around 2004. Would love to get back for a visit. One of my favourite places.

amazing photos thanks for posting

ive been there a few times but only in the last 5 years..changed a lot since

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

I remember it as a bit more developed in the early '90s. It is not too far from where I am now. Perhaps it is time for a revisit.

The best Thai seafood restaurant I ever been to in my life was at Ao Nang. It's long gone now, it was away from the beach and up one of those side roads. It was actually a small seafood market, just a concrete floor, tin roof, wood sides, they had those big plastic boxes with seafood on ice. You had to go there during the day and select what you wanted. Then go back for dinner at 6 or 7 PM and sit on plastic chairs and folding tables and the women bring out all the stuff you'd paid for all deliciously cooked - fish, prawns, shellfish, everything, all dirt cheap and plenty of beer at minimart prices.

Thanks for sharing Pudstub, not sure when the last time you passed through but it's changed beyond all recognition! In the last 2 years its gone crazy round here with building work hotels restaurants etc.

i keep meaning to do a TR style posting about Ao Nang but my ex has nicked my camera, she says i'll get it back soon so watch this space!

Ao Nang and the area is simply gorgeous. I took my then Thai girlfriend now wife there on a trip back in 2006, a magic romantic place well worth a visit.

I do recall the Thai airways plane having a very very rough landing in a severe rainstorm (April)

Thanks for sharing Pudstub, not sure when the last time you passed through but it's changed beyond all recognition! In the last 2 years its gone crazy round here with building work hotels restaurants etc.

i keep meaning to do a TR style posting about Ao Nang but my ex has nicked my camera, she says i'll get it back soon so watch this space!

Hi Biffa. I went there countless times in the 1980s-1990s but not much this century. I last at Krabi town - Ao nang - Railay about 3-4 years back when I did a motoring trip with my missis. Yes, I saw big changes but it still seemed like a good place. WTF people would want to eat McDonalds in a place like Krabi is beyond me. We used to sit in seaside restaurants dining on tom yum and fried fish and steamed crabs with lots of cold beer. That was one of the reasons we went to Krabi.

• 1 month later...

So any updates? Thinking of stopping in for a few days on upcoming trip. Nightlife / Girls?

So any updates? Thinking of stopping in for a few days on upcoming trip. Nightlife / Girls?

Haven't been for a while myself but always get good reports on Krabi.

Edited by pubstud

Spent a few weeks there over Christmas and new year, and going back in June.

There are 2 main nightlife spots.

One is a small dead end Soi opposite McDonalds. This is about 200 meters long and has about 20 bars and is similar to soi 7 or soi 8 in Pattaya.

The second one is at the back of the main beach road behind Burger King. It is a 3 storey complex with a couple of GoGo and some other bars with live music and some very nice girls. It is a bit like a very small Nana Plaza

There are also some very nice little short Soi with no tarmac but nice bars with pool and huge TVs if you just want ti chill and chat.

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

• 2 weeks later...