IGNORED

Renewal of Retirement Visa question - non consecutive dates

Wicked Roger

I have trawled the visa section and cannot find a comparable thread and wonder if anyone has dealt with this before!

I have a retirement visa which expires in August 2012, however I will not be in Thailand between June and October as I will be travelling abroad during this time.

Would it be better to renew it prior to leaving Thailand or, if possible, to renew it after it has expired, sometime in October? If the latter, will I have difficulty renewing it once it has expired? Has any BM dealt with this type of situation before?

Thanks for any advice!

WR

I recently started a whiskey diet......I've lost three days already!

I have trawled the visa section and cannot find a comparable thread and wonder if anyone has dealt with this before!

I have a retirement visa which expires in August 2012, however I will not be in Thailand between June and October as I will be travelling abroad during this time.

Would it be better to renew it prior to leaving Thailand or, if possible, to renew it after it has expired, sometime in October? If the latter, will I have difficulty renewing it once it has expired? Has any BM dealt with this type of situation before?

Thanks for any advice!

WR

You're in Thailand now right? I'd go to the nearest immigration office and ask them. Best get it right from the horse's mouth than maybe some cockamamie version here.

You're in Thailand now right? I'd go to the nearest immigration office and ask them. Best get it right from the horse's mouth than maybe some cockamamie version here.

Unfortunately I am not in Thailand at the moment. I will pop into the Jomtien immigration office next time I'm in the area. Just wondered if anyone had actual experience of this before! Cheers anyway.

I don't believe there is any such thing as "renewing" it if you allow it to expire. From what I understand, you have to start from scratch and apply all over again.

Also, you say you won't be in Thailand from June to October. That means you will miss a 90 check-in report. That too, I believe, will cause you to have to start from scratch.

I would go to immigration and see if they have a work around solution. I'm assuming you paid for multiple entries, so they will probably have a solution for you.

I presume you are talking about Extension of Stay (Retirement).

You don't renew. Each one is a stand alone application requiring more or less the same process, except bank funds seeded for 3 months.

In your circumstances I would do it early and the 12 months will go on the end of your current one.

I don't believe there is any such thing as "renewing" it if you allow it to expire. From what I understand, you have to start from scratch and apply all over again.

Also, you say you won't be in Thailand from June to October. That means you will miss a 90 check-in report. That too, I believe, will cause you to have to start from scratch.

I would go to immigration and see if they have a work around solution. I'm assuming you paid for multiple entries, so they will probably have a solution for you.

Correct. It doesn't make much difference if he lets it expire and starts again, coming back in on a TV, but he might feel he'll get a smoother passage if he applies for a new one in advance. They run consecutively so the only issue is whether he'll waste much of his new one while out.

Address reporting shouldn't be an issue. If one has a Mult Re-entry Permit and one exits/returns every 90 days or less, one doesn't have to do it anyway.

Always remember to get a new Multi Re-entry Permit as well. I didn't once and that was a pain.

LOL - It isn't a very complicated question, but he may get some convoluted answers.

As for the horse's mouth, the only 'horse' I'd trust for advice down there is if you're lucky enough to catch Barry Kenyon.

The 90 day reporting rule only applies if you are in the country for 90 days or more. I have never been in the country for more than 60 or 70 days at a time so have never reported in the 3 years I have had the retirement visa. When you return to Thailand, the 90 days automatically starts again. That info was straight from Immigration at Jomtien. I have therefor never had a problem with not reporting and my Retirement visa has been renewed twice with no problem. Yes I do have a multiple entry visa.

Correct. It doesn't make much difference if he lets it expire and starts again, coming back in on a TV, but he might feel he'll get a smoother passage if he applies for a new one in advance. They run consecutively so the only issue is whether he'll waste much of his new one while out.

Address reporting shouldn't be an issue. If one has a Mult Re-entry Permit and one exits/returns every 90 days or less, one doesn't have to do it anyway.

Always remember to get a new Multi Re-entry Permit as well. I didn't once and that was a pain.

I was thinking just to let it lapse and then start again when I come back in Ocober, but wondered if I might be storing up more hassles for myself.

Both the renewals I did were very straightforward. A fresh application may not be so!

Good point about asking Barry Kenyon. He is very knowledgable and always very helpful.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Wicked Roger

The 90 day reporting rule only applies if you are in the country for 90 days or more. I have never been in the country for more than 60 or 70 days at a time so have never reported in the 3 years I have had the retirement visa.

That's good to know and something I've wondered about but never tested it because I haven't left Thailand in over 3 years.

Hell, it almost makes it worth taking a little trip now and then just to avoid the hassle of checking in.

I was thinking just to let it lapse and then start again when I come back in Ocober, but wondered if I might be storing up more hassles for myself.

Both the renewals I did were very straightforward. A fresh application may not be so!

There is no logical reason why the application should be any different either way.

The difference is about wasting 2 months or so of your new Visa versus peace of mind knowing you'll come back in already sorted.

If you do it when you come back, you must have a TV (cost) not waiver and conversion from TV to a Retirement Extension has a cost of 1900 and isn't quite so established.

On balance I think I would get a new one before I left.

If you've done it before you'll know, but for anyone else looking I did a thread on it HERE

If you do it when you come back, you must have a TV (cost) not waiver and conversion from TV to a Retirement Extension has a cost of 1900 and isn't quite so established.

Thanks for the info!

Is that a new development? My first retirement visa back in 2009 was done with a 30 day Tourist Visa waiver on arrival at BKK and conversion done locally in Jomtien. Do I now have to get a regular Tourist visa back in the UK?

Thanks for the info!

Is that a new development? My first retirement visa back in 2009 was done with a 30 day Tourist Visa waiver on arrival at BKK and conversion done locally in Jomtien. Do I now have to get a regular Tourist visa back in the UK?

I think anything is possible at a cost. Did you use an Agent?

If you come in on Visa Waiver, don't wait long before you try it and be prepared to go back out for a TV, from eg Phnom Penh or Vientiane, not UK.

I think anything is possible at a cost. Did you use an Agent?

If you come in on Visa Waiver, don't wait long before you try it and be prepared to go back out for a TV, from eg Phnom Penh or Vientiane, not UK.

For the initial issue I used the services of the agent at the Queen Vic. in Soi 6. They were very helpful and it was very straightforward. The subsequent renewals I did myself direct with the Immigration Office in Jomtien. They was also extremely easy, but I have been told that the rules have been tightened up for new issues, including new criminal record checks from Disclosure Scotland. Not that thats an issue per se', but if true, is just another hurdle (I no longer live in the UK) and of course expense, being a lazy git I would rather avoid!

I am back in Patts in a day or so, so will pop down to the Immigration Office and find out from them directly.

I will post their advice here.

I never do 90-day reporting, prefer to make a side trip to a neighboring country. That's one of the reasons I live in Thailand - the proximity to Indochina & other SE Asian destinations. So I plan these side trips to coincide with the 90 day reporting. Really surprises me when I talk to guys who have lived in Patts for 4,5,6 years or more and have never been to Angkor Wat or Vientiane or Luang Prabang.

For the initial issue I used the services of the agent at the Queen Vic. in Soi 6. They were very helpful and it was very straightforward. The subsequent renewals I did myself direct with the Immigration Office in Jomtien. They was also extremely easy, but I have been told that the rules have been tightened up for new issues, including new criminal record checks from Disclosure Scotland. Not that thats an issue per se', but if true, is just another hurdle (I no longer live in the UK) and of course expense, being a lazy git I would rather avoid!

I am back in Patts in a day or so, so will pop down to the Immigration Office and find out from them directly.

I will post their advice here.

I can understand how an Agent might get you from Visa Waiver to an Extension of Stay, but expensive and not a DIY option AFAIK.

I think you're mixing up Retirement Visas (from your home country) with Extension of Stay (Retirement) which you get from Jomtien, re' criminal records.

There are no CRCs or Medical with the latter option and no tightening up I'm aware of.

I can understand how an Agent might get you from Visa Waiver to an Extension of Stay, but expensive and not a DIY option AFAIK.

I think you're mixing up Retirement Visas (from your home country) with Extension of Stay (Retirement) which you get from Jomtien, re' criminal records.

There are no CRCs or Medical with the latter option and no tightening up I'm aware of.

Probably I am confusing the two! I have the latter which was issued in Jomtien. I guess then there is no need to worry too much, I will just do the whole process over again when I return to Thailand in November.

I will pop into Immigration in Jomtien and ask them, and usually Barry Kenyon is in there assisting so I will ask him. He, I am sure, will probably know the answer off the top of his head!

Keep you posted!

Closing this thread now as promised.

I popped into Immigration in Jomtien this morning and spoke to Barry Kenyon. (for those BM's not aware, he is the British Honorary Consul in Pattaya)

His advice, direct from the horses mouth, is very simple really, to let my visa die on expiry and do a fresh application when I return in November! The procedure will be exactly the same as a renewal so no benefit at all in renewing early!

Thanks for your input guys!

WR

I popped into Immigration in Jomtien this morning and spoke to Barry Kenyon. (for those BM's not aware, he is the British Honorary Consul in Pattaya)

Point of order.......I think.

Sir Barry Kenyon retired from the position of BHC getting on for a couple of years ago.

He still helps out in the Immigration office, but I think it's on an up-to-him basis.

He's doing a good job training up the girls, but he will be sorely missed when he stops work altogether.

He was succeeded as BHC by the (in)famous Howard Miller, but he resigned rather suddenly last October.

I don't think Pattaya has a BHC of its own any more and last I heard the office only opens on Thursday mornings.

There was supposed to be an appointment in January and something happening by next month, but I don't know what yet.

Sir Barry Kenyon retired from the position of BHC getting on for a couple of years ago.

He still helps out in the Immigration office, but I think it's on an up-to-him basis.

He's doing a good job training up the girls, but he will be sorely missed when he stops work altogether.

He was succeeded as BHC by the (in)famous Howard Miller, but he resigned rather suddenly last October.

I don't think Pattaya has a BHC of its own any more and last I heard the office only opens on Thursday mornings.

There was supposed to be an appointment in January and something happening by next month, but I don't know what yet.

Why don't you apply for BHC Edge?

Why don't you apply for BHC Edge?

I think the problem would be with the 'H' bit of it. :Think1:

....something some say HM struggled with. :Oops5:

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess that's the problem with assuming! I sort of thought that as he still has a presence in the Consulate and he is regularly to be seen in the Immigration office that he was still the incumbent! Mea culpa!

I far as I was concerned he did (and still does!) a really good job, always helpful and knowledgeable. I hope they find someone equally as keen!

Thanks guys!