IGNORED

Anyone using True Move H?

tunamelt

True Move H network is suppose to give 3G speeds up to 42Mbps. Anyone used it? What kind of speeds are you getting?

Are you sure it is supposed to be 42MBps? That seems way too high for any 3G (or even 4G) network. When you sign up with True, they also take the Mac address on the hardware so it will connect to a True WiFi network wherever it finds one - maybe this is the 42MBps they mentioned?

I am getting 4.2MBps on True 3G as per attached. I find their 3G fine for regular iPad usage...

speedtest.jpg

Edited by PeterKe

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Are you sure about the 100MBps for 4g? There is even a bill in congress asking providers to define what the minimum is for 4G in the US. there is no clear definition as yet, but no carrier is getting anywhere remotely near 100MBps on 4G.

True's phrasing is a bit vague. Their 3G+ network can do 42MBps, but only when you are connected to one of their WiFi hotspots, not on a pure cellular 3G.

Are you sure it is supposed to be 42MBps? That seems way too high for any 3G (or even 4G) network. When you sign up with True, they also take the Mac address on the hardware so it will connect to a True WiFi network wherever it finds one - maybe this is the 42MBps they mentioned?

I am getting 4.2MBps on True 3G as per attached. I find their 3G fine for regular iPad usage...

He is talking about TRUEmove *H* - which is a new network (sitting on the Cat network, but licensed to be sold by TRUE), that provides HSPA+ speeds - which is a faster protocol that can provide up to 42MBps speeds over the same architecture as the 3G network (TRUE labels it as 3G+, since they do not have the license to call it "4G")

PeterKe claiming that 42MBps are only available via their hotspots is incorrect - HSPA+ is service provided over 3G infrastructure.

For example, the iPhone 4S as well as iPad 2 and new iPad are capable of connecting via HSPA+, while iPhone 4 is not. You will see no advantages when using an iPhone 4 or any phone unable to support HSPA+.

BTW, to be 4G the minimum speed is 100Mbps.

This is correct from a "specs" point of view, but currently "LTE" is considered to be "4G" - and while current LTE speeds barely reach 30-40MBps, carriers are nevertheless labeling it as "4G".

He is talking about TRUEmove *H* - which is a new network (sitting on the Cat network, but licensed to be sold by TRUE), that provides HSPA+ speeds - which is a faster protocol that can provide up to 42MBps speeds over the same architecture as the 3G network (TRUE labels it as 3G+, since they do not have the license to call it "4G")

PeterKe claiming that 42MBps are only available via their hotspots is incorrect - HSPA+ is service provided over 3G infrastructure.

For example, the iPhone 4S as well as iPad 2 and new iPad are capable of connecting via HSPA+, while iPhone 4 is not. You will see no advantages when using an iPhone 4 or any phone unable to support HSPA+.

Thanks I didn't know that. You can see from my screenshots above that you don't get anything like the speed they mentioned though. 4MBps is about my regular bandwidth on the True-H network.

I just did a test with a friend on True Move H. Unfortualty he had a 3GS with no HSPA+ support so it was not a direct comparison, but even so, his True Move H "3G+" speeds were slower than my True Move 3G speeds. You need a 4S (or similar) to even take advantage of the speeds.

Specs: "In March 2008, the International Telecommunications Union-Radio communications sector (ITU-R) specified a set of requirements for 4G standards, named the IMT-Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced) specification, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100 megabits per second (Mbit/s) for high mobility communication".

Thanks I didn't know that. You can see from my screenshots above that you don't get anything like the speed they mentioned though. 4MBps is about my regular bandwidth on the True-H network.

Do you have an iPhone 4S, or a phone capable of HSPA+?

Without a phone capable of using the HSPA+ network, you won't see any improvement.

I just did a test with a friend on True Move H. Unfortualty he had a 3GS with no HSPA+ support so it was not a direct comparison, but even so, his True Move H "3G+" speeds were slower than my True Move 3G speeds.

Pointless comparison - I would not expect better throughput with a non-HSPA+ device.

• 1 month later...

We just spent two weeks using true H+ on a Samsung S2. We were in pattaya most of the trip though also used the service in BKK as well for a few days of our time there. We found on avarage the speed to be fine for most common smart phone usage. Ie surfing ...email..uploading photos ect. We visit pattaya about twice a year and have found for that location true seems to have the best coverage and speed there. Don't expect cable modem speeds just expect not so bad speeds making your phone fully useable. We also did video skype calls with no problems.

The do offer a unlimited data plan for day and per month as well.

speedtest.jpg

Thats correct, If the connection speed is 42Mbps, then download should be 42/8, Even if you have a local area connection that is 100mbps your download speed thru LAN will be 100/8 which is 12ish mbps.

So if you're getting 4.2mbps from speedtest.net then the connection is 42mbps thats from my basic knowledge.

Don't count on that.