Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Facebook chargeable in Thailand ! NO JOKE !

Duvel

Facebook has found a sneaky way to trick their members out of their money under the guise of “security”.

Last time I logged in to Facebook, I got a screen containing next text:

“Please complete a security check.

Security checks help keep Facebook trustworthy and free of spam.

Use a phone to verify your account

The phone number you use can only verify one account.

Once you enter your number, you'll receive a code that you'll be able to enter on Facebook to verify your account.

Your phone number will only be used to verify your account and will not be shared with anyone without your consent.

Enter a phone number”.

When I entered and transferred my Thai mobile number, I received an SMS, not with a code but with the following Thai text:

“คุณต้องการสมัครใช้ facebook security พิมพ์ F ส่งมาที่ 42665 เพึ่อขอรับ Code, ค่าบริการสัปดาห์ละ 9 บาท ใช้งานฟรี 7 วัน”.

that appears to say that I should SMS “F” to Facebook’s short number 42665.

That “service” was going to cost me 9 baht per week or 470 baht per year.

(I can read enough Thai to know that 9 บาท = 9 baht and 7 วัน = 7 days and the missus could only confirm that I had guessed well.)

From now on I am going to boycott Facebook.

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

sounds like a scam matey, I'm tipping if this was true it would be big news. Could be some kind of virus or something. Didn't come as an email did it?

Red

"Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all." - Dean Martin

That is probably the service provider telling you its charges for the facebook sms service. You can unsubscribe if you go to your f/b settings page under mobile.

Edited by SLEUTH

This isn't Facebook - its one of the countless scams that people who click on any and every dumb app and link fall prey to.

Facebook has found a sneaky way to trick their members out of their money under the guise of “security”.

Last time I logged in to Facebook, I got a screen containing next text:

“Please complete a security check.

Security checks help keep Facebook trustworthy and free of spam.

Use a phone to verify your account

The phone number you use can only verify one account.

Once you enter your number, you'll receive a code that you'll be able to enter on Facebook to verify your account.

Your phone number will only be used to verify your account and will not be shared with anyone without your consent.

Enter a phone number”.

When I entered and transferred my Thai mobile number, I received an SMS, not with a code but with the following Thai text:

“คุณต้องการสมัครใช้ facebook security พิมพ์ F ส่งมาที่ 42665 เพึ่อขอรับ Code, ค่าบริการสัปดาห์ละ 9 บาท ใช้งานฟรี 7 วัน”.

that appears to say that I should SMS “F” to Facebook’s short number 42665.

That “service” was going to cost me 9 baht per week or 470 baht per year.

(I can read enough Thai to know that 9 บาท = 9 baht and 7 วัน = 7 days and the missus could only confirm that I had guessed well.)

From now on I am going to boycott Facebook.

I got the same Thai SMS. These are the screen captures of the successive Facebook screens:

Facebook1.jpg

Facebook2.jpg

Facebook3.jpg

Facebook4.jpg

• 4 months later...

This is how I finally solved the problem:

1. I bought the cheapest AIS 1-2-CALL SIM-card at TukCom (50 baht);

2. I bought the cheapest AIS 1-2-CALL credit at a 7ELEVEN (50 baht, validity 7 days);

3. I readied the mobile;

4. I SMSed “F” to their short number 42665;

5. I received a code that I entered in the above mentioned screen;

6. I gave the SIM-card to the missus who had not the slightest problem to use up the remaining credit within a week.

Up to now it seems to work and they can’t steal money from my regular mobile.

(I first tried to use an old Belgian SIM-card that was still valid, but the country code +32 = Belgium was apparently again and again overwritten by +66 = Thailand.)

their ≠ there ≠ they’re; theirs ≠ there’s; your ≠ you’re; its ≠ it’s; whose ≠ who’s;

bearback ≠ bareback; loose ≠ lose; too ≠ to; wander ≠ wonder; then ≠ than;

men ≠ man; women ≠ woman; know ≠ now ≠ no; quiet ≠ quite; site ≠ sight;

except ≠ accept; of ≠ 've; waist ≠ waste; sure ≠ shore; etc. (et cetera) ≠ ect.

this is not a scam....it is a security check to protect ur facebook account safe. u dont have to pay every weeks, only if u like to receive notifications by sms...

Blog en français sur Pattaya

This is how I finally solved the problem:

1. I bought the cheapest AIS 1-2-CALL SIM-card at TukCom (50 baht);

2. I bought the cheapest AIS 1-2-CALL credit at a 7ELEVEN (50 baht, validity 7 days);

3. I readied the mobile;

4. I SMSed “F” to their short number 42665;

5. I received a code that I entered in the above mentioned screen;

6. I gave the SIM-card to the missus who had not the slightest problem to use up the remaining credit within a week.

Up to now it seems to work and they can’t steal money from my regular mobile.

(I first tried to use an old Belgian SIM-card that was still valid, but the country code +32 = Belgium was apparently again and again overwritten by +66 = Thailand.)

I followed your advice and it works. Thanks.

this is not a scam....it is a security check to protect ur facebook account safe. u dont have to pay every weeks, only if u like to receive notifications by sms...

Didn’t you notice that the Facebook shares lost half of their value since their introduction at the stock exchange ?

This says: If you want to use facebook security, type F and send it to 42665 to receive the code. Service charge 9 baht per week, use the service free for 7 days.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, and now tell me how to stop the service, pleeeeaase.....!!

I de-activated my facebook account for the time being.