IGNORED

Error #2000 - Changing IPs and 3G?

CoffeeDon

Hi all,

I'm regularly getting a IP.Board Error #2000 message on PA. That error states "You are not allowed to visit this community.". It happens at seemingly random occasions, and when in kicks in I'm locked out of the site for a while.

I regularly use this site over a 3G service, both with the browser on my iPhone, and from Firefox/IE on my laptop tethered over the iPhone.

The error seems to be related to a site control on concurrent logins and/or a lower level security control on user accounts appearing from different IP addresses. When I'm on 3G my IP address will change at random times and when the address changes, the #2000 error is triggered on my next page load.

If I've pegged the cause of this error correctly... I can see the logic of this type of control. What I'm wondering is can a function be made available so board users can clear their session with the site and log back in, so they can be recognised with their new IP. That could be as simple as exempting the site's Sign Out function from the security control that triggers #2000.

As it stands when I get the #2000 error I can't use Sign Out - it just returns the #2000 error again.

I've done a bit of looking around on the error. It's mentioned on a few IP.Board based sites, but I haven't spotted a solution yet. It seems most users interpret the error as being kicked off, or banned from the site for some reason.

As always - thanks for putting the site together and keeping it going.

Edited by PAView

For anyone else who might get this problem one rough work-around I've found is to put your phone into Airplane Mode, wait a few seconds, and then turn Airplane Mode off again. You can probably find the same option in most modern phones, not just the iPhone.

Depending on your telco this action should get you another IP address, and PA should come back up working again.

Please note that putting your phone into Airplane Mode drops all of it's communications - 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, Tethering etc etc. So if you've got applications using the phones connection, or devices like Bluetooth headsets - they will lose connection while the phone is in Airplane Mode. How much of an impact that will make, or not make, to you depends on what those applications and devices are.

Edited by PAView