IGNORED

How do bars and restaurants make money during Songkran

malct

I have heard that songkran can get very rough with people throwing water, powder and ice at you, This begs the question, Will customers of Restaurants shy away from eating out in open-air restaurants and having a beer in a bar in fear of getting soaked, This must effect takings at bars etc..

Many Soi 7 and 8 beer bars give patrons plastic sheets to protect themselves. Usually the water throwing is limited to daylight hours only and stops when the sun goes down and it is aimed toward the street away from restaurants and pubs. One must carry their mobiles and wallets in waterproof bags. If you don't want to get wet or participate just hunker down until nightfall.

It you don't want to get wet, don't shower or don't leave your room for a week (2 weeks this year?).

Bars on sois 7/8 make money by cancelling happy hour & drip feeding Chang to tattooed Brits through an IV.

sgu_banner.gif

I would say quite the reverse, and many businesses such as the bars will actually do better than average business at this time.

Probably needed though to pay the water bill.

Songkran brings in a ton of people. It's like high season over again.

Most people are not retarded. They're not gonna smash you with a water balloon as you are eating your dinner.

That said, it's usually the foreigners who go waaaay too far. Songkran is much, much more timid in the rest of Thailand.

Most people are not retarded. They're not gonna smash you with a water balloon as you are eating your dinner.

That said, it's usually the foreigners who go waaaay too far. Songkran is much, much more timid in the rest of Thailand.

It is definitely the foreigners that are the problem. Songkran is actually lots of fun in other areas of Thailand.

It is definitely the foreigners that are the problem. Songkran is actually lots of fun in other areas of Thailand.

Yes, exactly right.

I always keep away from the bar areas in the 10 days running up to Songkran because of the idiot element. But the last day is always great fun, great atmosphere, particularly now they close the beach Rd to traffic.

Sorry but most of the farangs at Songkran ARE retarded. I would have thought bar receipts must be down. It's impossible to go out for a meal/drink for 2 weeks.

I was in Diamond A GoGo, some punters came in with those huge water guns and started shooting at the girl's bare bottoms :19:

Retired

Sorry but most of the farangs at Songkran ARE retarded. I would have thought bar receipts must be down. It's impossible to go out for a meal/drink for 2 weeks.

Spot on!

Cannot say it better!

The difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less.

• 2 weeks later...

What date does the craziness start and end ?

Different dates depending on where you are in Thailand.

In Pattaya the 19th april is the last day and things usually die down soon after 6.00pm. When it starts around pattaya is anyones guess, usually around beer bars about 10 days before, emanating from pissed farrangs egged on by bar girls, in answer to the op's question that is how certainly the bars make their money at this time.

Most locations around Thailand, (and even in Pattaya for Thai people) it lasts 2 days and is great fun, but unfortunately the Songkran in Pattaya is just something else on the list that is ruined by idots.

Edited by lordarunotai

Nope....just British.....but I can see how the mistake can easily be made LOL

Not only during Song kran ... :rolleyes: .

I am in pattaya from the 12th till the 21st so i will catch the lot. I arrive in the resort about 10am and travelling from the airport to jomtien by bus, but worried when i get into the baht bus from the bus station to the condo, I will get my luggage wet and also myself, maybe better to call Mr T ;-)

matter of interest, what time do they start throwing water?

Difficult to say.

it really depends on the levels of intalect and how pissed they are.

I am in pattaya from the 12th till the 21st so i will catch the lot. I arrive in the resort about 10am and travelling from the airport to jomtien by bus, but worried when i get into the baht bus from the bus station to the condo, I will get my luggage wet and also myself, maybe better to call Mr T ;-)

More than likely you will be ok on the 12th; its a gradual build up in madness, may start 12th but more likely 13th or 14th. For the first few days it is more concentrated around Beach Rd and Soi 7 & 8, but then spreads later in the week. Considering most of the idiots have been on the piss until 4 in the morning, generally it doesn't start until late morning.