IGNORED

Lone Star Texas Grill (Soi Lengkee)

Evil Penevil

I ate at the Lone Star Texas Grill on Soi Lengkee (LK Metro area) last night. Here's the meal I had:

post-6485-1331544655.jpg

The corn chips and dip were complementary and came with the beer. The chips were homemade and very good. It would have been better with a little salsa instead of the dip, but that's no biggy considering it was complementary.

I ordered the Sunday special, which was fillet steak for 199 baht. I ordered a medium potato salad (60 baht) and corn on the cob (40 baht) as sides. I don't remember exactly how much the San Miguel Light was, but I think 70 or 80 baht. EDIT IN: The owner of the Lone Star has said on another board that there was some confusion on the part of his staff and the daily specials should include two sides as part of the 199-baht price. He also agreed the corn chips should come with salsa and that the steak should have been grilled better. He's taken some constructive criticism to heart. Assuming the next time a customer orders a fillet steak for 199 baht and gets two side dishes as well as an attractively grilled steak, then that would be a bargain in the hard-to-beat category..

post-6485-1331544669.jpg

post-6485-1331544681.jpg

I ordered the steak rare and it wasn't overcooked. It was tender and for local beef, tasty. My only criticism would be that The Grill wasn't hot enough or the cook took the steak off too quickly. It could have done with a bit more surface "char," which would have given it a better color and would have imparted more of the charcoal grill flavor, but wouldn't have cooked the meat too much on the inside.

The potato salad was good - it wasn't overpowered by the dressing - and it was a generous portion for medium. The corn was properly cooked and tasted fresh. I thought the meal was well worth the price I paid - 300 baht for the food. It was good value - and taste - for the money. You have to be realistic in your expectations. Better steaks (imported Australian beef) are available at the Lone Star and elsewhere in Pattaya, but you'll pay more than 199 baht for them. For what I got, the price was very reasonable.

I had no problems with the service. The food came quickly and with a smile. The waitress had explained to me that the special only included the steak and sides had to be ordered separately. She also tried to tell me something about the sauce or gravy, but I couldn't make out what she saying. I certainly don't want gravy with a charcoal grilled steak and thankfully, it came in a boat. I didn't bother to taste it.

The next time I visit the Lone Star I'll try the ribs. That's what most of the other customers (it was about half-full at 8 p.m. last night) appeared to be having. The restaurant has Tex Mex and Mexican food as well as a variety of steaks and several types of smoked ribs. There are daily specials for 179 or 199 baht for the budget minded. If your TG doesn't like farang food, the Lone Star offers Thai dishes as well.

I'm not much worried about a restaurant's decor, especially when I'm eating alone. But the Lone Star is a relatively new place (been open a few months) and it was clean, comfortable and well lit, with colorful accents on and along the walls.

Evil

devil.gif

Some other pics from the Lone Star:

post-6485-1331544696.jpg

post-6485-1331544709.jpg

post-6485-1331544722.jpg

post-6485-1331544735.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

viking took me here last trip for my first time...was happy with the food/service! Beefeater is another great place for steaks in patts!

MMC - Monster.Monger.Clique

certified whore & war monger

^also...filet mignon @ beer garden is pretty damn good!

MMC - Monster.Monger.Clique

certified whore & war monger

Stopped by last night with my TGF. I had the Quesadilla's and she had the rib eye steak (local, not imported) with side of Corn, Potato and Potato Salad. Service was excellent and staff very polite. The restaurant and dining area itself looked very clean and tidy.

The meal arrived very promptly and tasted excellent. I think off memory the total bill plus 1 Singha and a Coke was around 550 Baht (Dont recall the exact amount) but certainly ticked all the boxes I look for when dining out. Good service, Excellent food and the place must be clean and well presented.

I would recommend this place for anyone looking for some nice Mexican or a good Steak (They had a choice between local and imported Steaks)

Cheers

Jon

There is an international standard what the weight of a steak should be I think its 250grams plus. I have been given 100g steak in alot of asian countries and I just demand the correct size and they comply which is good

post-6485-1331544669.jpg

Looks about as appetising as a bowl of cornflakes. And 300 baht..whaat.

Agreed, I have already spoken with the staff, this steak was not cooked or served correctly. We have a char grill for steaks which was clearly not hot enough, the dish should have been served with 2 side orders and 1/2 corn on the cobb.... a few issued have been addressed and food should not come out again like this!

Ian

Stopped by last night with my TGF. I had the Quesadilla's and she had the rib eye steak (local, not imported) with side of Corn, Potato and Potato Salad. Service was excellent and staff very polite. The restaurant and dining area itself looked very clean and tidy.

The meal arrived very promptly and tasted excellent. I think off memory the total bill plus 1 Singha and a Coke was around 550 Baht (Dont recall the exact amount) but certainly ticked all the boxes I look for when dining out. Good service, Excellent food and the place must be clean and well presented.

I would recommend this place for anyone looking for some nice Mexican or a good Steak (They had a choice between local and imported Steaks)

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

I am glad the food and service was good, hope to see you again

ian

viking took me here last trip for my first time...was happy with the food/service! beefeater is another great place for steaks in patts!

Viking is a top bloke :GoldenSmile1:

• 1 month later...

I decided to try the Lone Star last nt after reading some good reviews.

Went in about 930pm and there were some diners at the back of the restaurant so was quiet, with plenty free tables and boothes.

Nice and fitted out well and clean so obviously spent fair bit refurbishing the old Juice rest, with big tv in corner showing BBC as in Jolly Friar next door.

Old aircon unit(leftover from Juice rest maybe) was on 28c so was very warm in there and did mention it to the waitress who tried to say "oh its because its hot outside and cant get cool inside"???..WTF Has been mentioned on other forum about the dodgy aircon so thats still am issue that needs sorting. Why not replace it as spent lots refurbishing the rest of the place??

Ordered the Monday nt special, ribeye steak at 179bt with 2 free side orders, went for fries and corn on cob from the list available and again has good reviews on this special. Lime soda soft drink at 40bt.

Some tortilla chips came with tiny bowl of salsa which was a free appetiser was ok but no kick in the sauce/salsa.

Food duly arrived very quickly and steak was not the best or worst as was bit chewy/gristly but cooked bit light as ordered medium steak and was bit raw on inside. Decent portion of fries and corn on cob so with the steak that filled the hunger gap.

Then again at only 179bt you get what you pay for.

I needed that cold complimentry towel thought to cool down after the meal!!

Would mark it at 6/10 for a dining experience.

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

Ordered take out two times and both times totally fucked up my order.

Chicken wings were not undercooked...almost raw..blood poured out on my first bite..Cold inside..

I ordered french fries, they sent me nachos..I called back to only be told the french fries means nachos on there menu...That's all new to me...

Chicken wings were not undercooked...almost raw..blood poured out on my first bite..Cold inside..

I ordered french fries, they sent me nachos..I called back to only be told the french fries means nachos on there menu...That's all new to me...

Thats really bad, I am very sorry we have fucked up your order "TWICE" ! Please PM me and I will arrange a complimentary meal or delivery.

thanks

ian

I saw a similar thing with the chicken the other night.

My meal was great as usual, but two guys sitting at a table to my right were having the half-roast chicken special. As I was ordering, they called the waitress over and I could hear "not cooked" and "cold inside." She picked up their plates and when she walked past me I could see a fair amount of blood. Not good!

I ate and I was paying when they finally got two completely new chicken dinners, so they were only out the time they had to waste waiting for new orders to show up. But then, that would probably piss a lot of people off.

I get the rib special almost every week on Saturday. It's a great deal, but they are plagued by inconsistencies. Last time, I ended up with half the usual amount of bbq sauce for some reason--usually the cup is the same size as the side orders, but this time is was half the size, plus the ribs were smaller and less meaty than usual. Another time I was shocked by how little meat was on the ribs--there were plenty of them but it was not worth even the lower price because there was so little meat.

Having said this, I still go back because it's a good deal (usually) and I love ribs. My hit miss rate has been about 75/25 to the good. Perhaps I'll start checking the stuff before I leave the premises. Seems a shame, but perhaps necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the ribs last week.Service was good.Food a little average.

After ordering i recieved my food within 5 mins.Which wasnt a good sign in my book.

Eat well,sleep deeply.For tomorrow comes,and its all yours.

I read on another board that the Texas Lone Star Grill and the Jolly Friar had been sold. Any time a restaurant changes hands, previous reviews go out the window. The new owner may make improvements or the opposite could happen. Time will tell.

The biggest problem problem for the Lone Star seemed to be inconsistency. That might have been down to the former owner spending a lot of time outside Thailand for family and business reasons. But I wish the new owner well. The Lone Star definitely has potential.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

• 1 month later...

hello my Name is Tim i am part of the new team that has purchased the Jolly Friar , lonestar and The Devonshire (formally le katai on soi lengkey )

hopefully i can answer any of your questons regarding any of these business .and if you have any comments or suggestons i will try to answer those Also

The Devonshire Restaurant and hotel has been fully gutted and refurbed with new beds decor and flat screen tvs, all have aircon ..

charges for rooms are 750 inc Full English breakfast and 650 for smaller rooms inc Breakfast .

We still offer the Same great food we have been serving under the name le katai .

The lonestar has had a Few staffing issues but we are working to correct this in low season and should be up to full speed soon

as for the Jolly friar we dont seem to have any major problems just a few pricing issues

Thanks Tim and Russ

Life begins at 40 ...

i love tex/mex and tried LSG once last year,sorry im a bit late telling you,it was awful,tried once ,i will never go back

so no web site to book a room? is it a walkup sort of place to get a room or can you phone or email a reservation?

i can be contacted on here or with my gmail for booking and info on the devonshire hotel

[email protected] or txt +66800400339

Life begins at 40 ...

As this is the lone star topic i have posted some pics of the restaurant and hotel here

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/110412-the-devonshire-restaurant-and-hotel-soi-lenkey-was-le-katai/page__gopid__1765479#entry1765479

thanks Tim

Life begins at 40 ...

So the Lone Star daily specials continue as they were ?

yes at the moment but i might add more of a Mexican theme later in the year

Life begins at 40 ...

i had the ribs 3 or 4 times my last trip. not bad for thailand

thanks we do have a 400.000b smoker and a 450.000b steamer so hopefully the fact u had them 3-4 times is a great complement for the lone star :)

Life begins at 40 ...

thanks we do have a 400.000b smoker and a 450.000b steamer so hopefully the fact u had them 3-4 times is a great complement for the lone star :)

one thing we noticed that on the specials day where the ribs are cheaper, the cut of meat seemed more fatty, not as nice as the other days. not sure if this was because it was on special and thge emat was cheaper, or it was just a bad cut.

one thing we noticed that on the specials day where the ribs are cheaper, the cut of meat seemed more fatty, not as nice as the other days. not sure if this was because it was on special and thge emat was cheaper, or it was just a bad cut.

no there are no cheaper cuts of meats we use the same pork ribs we use any other day

Life begins at 40 ...