IGNORED

Need advice on a Canon

Phat Rabbit

Hello guys

Im looking at a Canon G12

What do you guys who have experience with camera think about it?

Im not proffesional I'm just looking to get quality pictures and start being amateur photographer.

Any input would be appreciated.

Which one would you advice to get?

I looked at the g12 because of its size, The size suites me very well

Which one would you advice to get?

I looked at the g12 because of its size, The size suites me very well

Canon S100. Same or better specs, and smaller in size. I have a S95, and have had nothing but great results from it.

S100 yes yes yes

I have the G12 and am very happy with ease of use and facilities particularly the ability to shoot in RAW. The S100 has similar specs, but personally I find the control layout easier on the G12.

I have the G12 and am very happy with ease of use and facilities particularly the ability to shoot in RAW. The S100 has similar specs, but personally I find the control layout easier on the G12.

Agreed, the control layout would be the one of the biggest differences between the G12 and the S95/S100.

One note, S95/S100 does shoot RAW. Actually, I don't think there is anything the G12 does that the S95/S100 doesn't...

Hold off on the G12 (although it is an excellent camera) until the new Canon G1X is in stores and then compare the two side by side. The G1X has a much bigger sensor than the G12 and the image quality is equal to a Canon cropped sensor DLSR. Suppose to be a big improvement in many areas to the G12.

S100 yes yes yes

Will you be destroying one of these too....:P

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Will you be destroying one of these too.... :P

I hope not - the S95 has survived thus far.

Anyone need any S90 spares? :GoldenSmile1:

if u have a spare s90 i will take it?? looking at the s95 myself on the alleycats recommendations when i was asking him what he thought about the ixus range but he got me sold on the s90,95 or 100.

or if it went wrong what went wrong on it?

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

if u have a spare s90 i will take it?? looking at the s95 myself on the alleycats recommendations when i was asking him what he thought about the ixus range but he got me sold on the s90,95 or 100.

I'd pass on the s90 at this point unless you get a huge deal on one. You'd be 2 generations back from the current tech, and there are enough

upgrades from the s90 to the s95 that I would just pass on the 90. S95-s100 is trickier due to the price difference, but I personally would snag

the s100 to get the extra zoom range and full 1080p HD video.

I'd pass on the s90 at this point unless you get a huge deal on one. You'd be 2 generations back from the current tech, and there are enough

upgrades from the s90 to the s95 that I would just pass on the 90. S95-s100 is trickier due to the price difference, but I personally would snag

the s100 to get the extra zoom range and full 1080p HD video.

with the price differnce for just a slight increase on the video definition i cant justify that.

If i can get a deal on second hand s90 i will take it but if i am buying new it will be the 95. Right now im saving every penny i am earning for a long awaited extended trip to thailand(may become perm but gotta test the waters first) with the 95 being £220 and the 100 being £330 its an easy choice.

I take it you own both? how good is the video on the 95 compared to the 100 its not a big deal as the camera is for pics, if i wanted to do good video i would borrow or rent a HD camcorder...

thanks for the info tho

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

No, I just have the s95. Main differences are:

s100__________________________________________s95

12MP CMOS sensor_________________________10MP CCD sensor_______________(CMOS sensor considered better, and higher rez)

1080p video w/optical zoom____________________720P video, no optical zoom during recording

DIGIC5 processor____________________________DIGIC4 processor_______________(faster/better image processing and filters)

24mm to 120mm(35mm equivalent) 5x zoom lens____28mm to 105mm 3.8 zoom lens____(slightly wider and longer zoom range)

1/2000 sec shutter max________________________1/1600 shutter max_____________(Slightly faster shutter speed)

6400 max ISO________________________________3200 max ISO_________________(better low light sensitivity)

GPS sensor for location tagging__________________No GPS

There are also some slight differences in the outer case that makes the s100 easier to keep a grip on.

Edited by DMustang

I have 2 S90s but only for spares. They both suffered from corrosion due to yhe ingress of water vapour.

As has been said, the S95 (which I have now) was a big improvement over the S90, so I wouldn't go back there.

No. But do you want my spare S95 battery (and charger).

I can drop it at a bar today for you to pick up if you want?

No, I just have the s95. Main differences are:

s100__________________________________________s95

12MP CMOS sensor_________________________10MP CCD sensor_______________(CMOS sensor considered better, and higher rez)

1080p video w/optical zoom____________________720P video, no optical zoom during recording

DIGIC5 processor____________________________DIGIC4 processor_______________(faster/better image processing and filters)

24mm to 120mm(35mm equivalent) 5x zoom lens____28mm to 105mm 3.8 zoom lens____(slightly wider and longer zoom range)

1/2000 sec shutter max________________________1/1600 shutter max_____________(Slightly faster shutter speed)

6400 max ISO________________________________3200 max ISO_________________(better low light sensitivity)

GPS sensor for location tagging__________________No GPS

There are also some slight differences in the outer case that makes the s100 easier to keep a grip on.

dud - whats your thoughts on the battery life on the 100? I only got 44 shots from full to empty - that can't be right no? (with flash etc at nite)

No. But do you want my spare S95 battery (and charger).

I can drop it at a bar today for you to pick up if you want?

LOL - the chargers and the batteries are one thing they didn't change, so I have 3 of each thanks.

Kangarooted i don't have an S100 yet but the guy in the shop did tell me to turn off the GPS unless you want to use it as it sucks a lot out of the battery. The battery life is a bit of a weakness anyway but i think it is rated to 200 shots not 44.

dud - whats your thoughts on the battery life on the 100? I only got 44 shots from full to empty - that can't be right no? (with flash etc at nite)

I don't know about the s100 battery life, but as just stated I assume the addition of the GPS would suck more power than the s95.

Supposedly the s100 is rated for the same useage as the s95. Basically, turn off the GPS and see how it works (unless you want

the GPS running).

Hold off on the G12 (although it is an excellent camera) until the new Canon G1X is in stores and then compare the two side by side. The G1X has a much bigger sensor than the G12 and the image quality is equal to a Canon cropped sensor DLSR. Suppose to be a big improvement in many areas to the G12.

A nice camera - I've just read a review, but be prepared to pay about £300 more for the G1X.