IGNORED

Accident With Bus And Motorbikes Yesterday, On Pattaya Klang

how122255

I was on my way to Big "C", the old Carrefour, on Pattaya Klang around 9 pm, Yesterday. There appeared to big a big accident involving a bus and several motorbikes. Any one have any details ?

Edited by how122255

hmmmmmmmmm nop can ask my farther but as far as i know nothing of it

I was on my way to Big "C", the old Carrefour, on Pattaya Klang around 9 pm, Yesterday. There appeared to big a big accident involving a bus and several motorbikes. Any one have any details ?

details are as follows:

accident involved bus and several motorbikes. Bus came out looking good, while motorbikes did not look too good :GoldenSmile1:

Which brings up the question: what happens to you when you rent a scooter with only a driver's license (for a car) from your home country? This is what my buddy did. We never got stopped by police, lucky. And my understanding is even if he did, he would be looking at a 400 b bribe, which is not a big deal. But what happens if you get into an accident?

Which brings up the question: what happens to you when you rent a scooter with only a driver's license (for a car) from your home country? This is what my buddy did. We never got stopped by police, lucky. And my understanding is even if he did, he would be looking at a 400 b bribe, which is not a big deal. But what happens if you get into an accident?

You are not licenced so you're not insured and your travel insurance may also be invalid, so the chances are that it will cost you.

Also..............it may hurt a little..............

The fractured hip and the gauged ankle...........

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

Most travel insurance companies do not cover motorbike accidents to begin with - regardless of whether you have the endorsement.

Rental places generally have insurance to cover 3rd party, not you. Some of the cheaper shadier ones don't even have that.

Anytime you get into road accident in Thailand, it is usually foreigner's fault and foreigner pays. If the other person goes to expensive hospital, ask for a lot of money, you could be screwed pretty good.

the truth which no one ever tells you is that if you have an accident and you do not have local drivers license- you are not covered at all.

some will argue that international license is sufficient, but from personal experience, it is not. Thai insurers are happy for you to sue them, because they are well aware that you will not stay the cause, because you are a tourist and if you not, you would have local license.

Edited by PH Lodge

the truth which no one ever tells you is that if you have an accident and you do not have local drivers license- you are not covered at all.

As I've posted several times, I had the clause in the small print (in Thai) of my First Class Viriyah Car Policy pointed out to me when I went to pick the truck up.

As luck would have it, I got my Thai DL 2 weeks earlier (albeit 4 months after the accident lol) so I was able to produce it. Otherwise it would have cost me 30k.

The Clause apparently says that you must have a Thai DL, but of course they didn't tell me that when I paid the premium.

As I've posted several times, I had the clause in the small print (in Thai) of my First Class Viriyah Car Policy pointed out to me when I went to pick the truck up.

As luck would have it, I got my Thai DL 2 weeks earlier (albeit 4 months after the accident lol) so I was able to produce it. Otherwise it would have cost me 30k.

The Clause apparently says that you must have a Thai DL, but of course they didn't tell me that when I paid the premium.

It does get worse, once you have had an accident, they always look at license validity to determine the guilt, ie if its the 1 year license or 5 year license.

Edited by PH Lodge

Does anyone have any info or details about This accident ? Not general stories about how bad you think Thai drivers are. Thank you

Does anyone have any info or details about This accident ? Not general stories about how bad you think Thai drivers are. Thank you

why are you so fascinated with that accident and what info would you like to know?

why are you so fascinated with that accident and what info would you like to know?

I am hoping to hear that it only looked very bad and that no one was badly hurt.

Boy I hate hearing stuff like this. I spend a lot of time on motorbikes even though I know they are ridiculously dangerous (given the way people drive in Pattaya). Also - the fine for no license is THB1000 baht. The worst part is they will take your key and you have to find your way to the police station to pay the fine and then find your way back to your motorbike and then find the guy who has your motorbike key. If you find a policeman that is willing to take a few hundred baht to let you go, you got lucky.

Boy I hate hearing stuff like this. I spend a lot of time on motorbikes even though I know they are ridiculously dangerous (given the way people drive in Pattaya). Also - the fine for no license is THB1000 baht. The worst part is they will take your key and you have to find your way to the police station to pay the fine and then find your way back to your motorbike and then find the guy who has your motorbike key. If you find a policeman that is willing to take a few hundred baht to let you go, you got lucky.

Unless there's a reason why you can't, it's obviously better to get a Thai DL.............. or an IDP - 5 quid in UK better than risking 20 quid fines na?

No license fine is no more than 3-400 baht.... Paid it more times than i care to remember...

No license fine is no more than 3-400 baht.... Paid it more times than i care to remember...

Always seem to be different reports - I know for sure of one guy who was paying 600 Baht a go at Soi 9.

Always seem to be different reports - I know for sure of one guy who was paying 600 Baht a go at Soi 9.

Yeah I guess so...will try take a photo of the sign with all the fines in the policestation in soi 9 next time i get hit. Sometimes they jsut charge me for the missing helmet and no the license, even when asked about it. Sometimes "show me your license" means get your money out and had them to me discretly...as it has happend to me a few times also...

• 3 weeks later...

The fine is posted in some police stations as 500. I was told 1000 by two policeman that recently stopped me and I just assumed it had increased (in that case I had my license with me and I was just asking). When you say 300-400, are you paying on the spot to the police or is that down at the station?