IGNORED

Sat Navs In Thailand

Aussie Wolf

Bit of a noob question but hope someone can answer.

I have a tom tom with me in Australia.

If i bring this with me to Thailand will this automatically pick up the satellite in Thailand and work or do i have to download maps?

Also if it was to work automatically, will this give me direction and show maps in English if i enter English version of city names?

Not sure on your answer exactly but I'm using my unlocked iPhone over here at the moment and the sat nav works fine using 3G.

It used Google maps that which is in English and Thai.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

You need maps.

You can try to enter cities, but because of transliteration it is hit or miss.

I use a navman in Australia, and on their website, they want $99 bucks for other country maps. Bugger that. Big Bob at "escape rentals" in soi Dianna Inn, has satnavs available for hire with his cars. The one I used there was an Alpine. On the Bangkok main roads, the thing tells you to turn at the corner, and not at the off ramp. So you have missed your turn and have to look for a way back.

Overall though, worthwhile to ease the headache of hours lost in the city. Country areas no probs.

Edited by Goanna

If it is a dedicated satnav then you will likely need to download maps. A smartphone is completely different. I brought my unit with North American maps loaded and it did have some information on Thailand but not enough to be useful.

Most recent trip report: Cambodia/Thailand/Myanmar 2012

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded the thailand map on my Tom Tom and used it to drive from Pattaya to Chaiyaphum. Never missed a beat, spot on. The thailand map cost me £25 from their site. Start entering the place name in English and it usually reconises it and you can then choose from the list.

HTH

<EMBED SRC="http://games.webgamedesign.com/free/counter2.swf?title=Pattaya%20Arrival&count=down&time=1299270600000&bgc=0x0077cc&bgb=1&bgd=0&bc=0xcccccc&bb=1&bd=0&tc=0xcccccc&tb=1&td=1&uc=0x99ccff&ub=1&ud=2&nc=0x333333&nb=1&nd=0" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" NAME="Free Counter" ALIGN=MIDDLE WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=100 quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

• 5 weeks later...

I downloaded the thailand map on my Tom Tom and used it to drive from Pattaya to Chaiyaphum. Never missed a beat, spot on. The thailand map cost me £25 from their site. Start entering the place name in English and it usually reconises it and you can then choose from the list.

HTH

Me too !

I think I paid £40 on tomtom website.. but my Tomtom now has Uk maps and thai maps on it

..It need a fantastic job guiding me from BKK to Korat village