IGNORED

Crossing into Thailand from Cambodia by foot

Baanos

Can anyone who crossed into Thailand from Cambodia by foot tell me if they search you or ask you if you're bringing alcohol or tobacco into the country? I know that if you fly into Thailand they randomly scan the bags of people and I think you have to pay taxes if you declare that you have such items with you. And if you walk into Cambodia(Poipet) from Thailand they don't ask you about thing, but that is a different.

I'm asking because I intend to bring alcohol into Thailand from Cambodia and I might travel by bus from Phnom Penh to Pattaya.

Any help is appreciated.

done it a few years back,,, i don't remember there being any security screening at all,,, mind you,, this was 3 years ago too... all i remember out of the ordinary were lots of street beggars. good luck...let us know hot it works out

I once bought a carton of beer in Cambodia and we put it under the seat of the minivan so when we drove to the Thailand customs/immigration we all had to get out the minivan but my carton of beer stayed behind. The driver knew about it and he didn't give a stuff.

Not all the crossings apply the same rules .

Last month i went for a visa trip to Cambodia trough Hat Lek and was allowed to bring back 4 cartons

of smokes and 2 L of whisky without taxes ( while the GF was allowed to bring another 2 cartons and 1 L ) .

The last time i went trough Poi Pet i was allowed 1 carton and 1 L without taxes .

Not all the crossings apply the same rules .

Last month i went for a visa trip to Cambodia trough Hat Lek and was allowed to bring back 4 cartons

of smokes and 2 L of whisky without taxes ( while the GF was allowed to bring another 2 cartons and 1 L ) .

The last time i went trough Poi Pet i was allowed 1 carton and 1 L without taxes .

Thanks all.

So they do ask if you have alcohol and/or tobacco with you?

Edited by baanos

Thanks all.

So they do ask if you have alcohol and/or tobacco with you?

There are tax free markets on almost every border crossing so there's a good chance they will ask you .

Be aware that a lot of the smokes are fakes , 150baht for a carton of Marlbore sounds super but they're

not the real deal .

There are tax free markets on almost every border crossing so there's a good chance they will ask you .

Be aware that a lot of the smokes are fakes , 150baht for a carton of Marlbore sounds super but they're

not the real deal .

No worries there, last time I flew out of Cambodia, I stocked up on cigarettes and alcohol from supermarkets, much cheaper there. The ones they sell at the "duty free" stores at the airport are at inflated prices. So, I would never buy anything from a duty free in Cambodia.

I've never seen it happen, but they could stop you and check you if they wanted, the same as at any border crossing.

Finger prints taken now too lol. :Think1:

I've never seen it happen, but they could stop you and check you if they wanted, the same as at any border crossing.

Finger prints taken now too lol. :Think1:

Funny thing about this by entering 29 february , only fingers , when i asked Thumbs? answer : whe have already ...... so means they check the system , so watch out bad boys !! :Busted:

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Funny thing about this by entering 29 february , only fingers , when i asked Thumbs? answer : whe have already ...... so means they check the system , so watch out bad boys !! :Busted:

Last 2 times, it's been fingers & thumbs in and only fingers (one hand) out for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just cross the polpet border a few weeks ago. I only had a backpack and a smaller roller and there were no check.