Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | ChicaCheck | Buy/Sell Property | Isaan Lawyers | Anglo Siam Legal | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Immigration Hassles Leaving Thailand?

Naja Tom

My wife found some info in a thread on USAvisa4thai that the lines at immigration leaving Thailand were 3 hours long. Anybody that has just left or if you are in the very near future, would you please let

me know how the lines are? Wife got there the other day and I am heading over 3-10.

Thanks!!

Just pay for fast track and forget the line ups.

More details required, please. I nearly failed to get my plane one time, due to the line.

Edited by jojomecanic

I travel in and out of Bangkok an average of 12 times a year over the last 7 years. The longest I have waited on the way out at immigration is 45 minutes and that was due to a couple of plane loads of Chinese. The longest on the way in through immigration has been slightly more than an hour. I would not imagine you having to wait any more than half an hour coming or going and that would be unlucky. Get to check in a bit earlier if you are worried.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Alexi.

How do you write, create?" You don't, I told them. You don't try. That's very important: not to try, either for Cadillacs, creation or immortality. You wait, and if nothing happens, you wait some more. It's like a bug high on the wall. You wait for it to come to you. When it gets close enough you reach out, slap out and kill it. Or if you like its looks you make a pet out of it."

Charles Bukowski. Bukowski.jpg

I travel in and out of Bangkok an average of 12 times a year over the last 7 years. The longest I have waited on the way out at immigration is 45 minutes and that was due to a couple of plane loads of Chinese. The longest on the way in through immigration has been slightly more than an hour. I would not imagine you having to wait any more than half an hour coming or going and that would be unlucky. Get to check in a bit earlier if you are worried.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Alexi.

What He Said ........................

Assume the lines will be long and get to BKK with that in mind!

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

It really depends on the time of day. Some guys have reported 3 hour lines, some breeze through. I've started using fast track. I can get to the airport later, just seems easier. I hate getting to swampy 4 hours early just so I can be sure of making my flight.

http://www.bangkokflightservices.com/index.html

http://fasttrack.in.th/products.php

It really depends on the time of day. Some guys have reported 3 hour lines, some breeze through. I've started using fast track. I can get to the airport later, just seems easier. I hate getting to swampy 4 hours early just so I can be sure of making my flight.

http://www.bangkokfl....com/index.html

Sound interesting.

However, for arrival, it doesn't seem very usefull

Documentation and Visas

All customers must be in possession of valid travel documents including visa to enter Thailand if such is needed. It is not possible to facilitate customers needing visas on arrival to Thailand.

Edited by jojomecanic

http://www.bangkokfl....com/index.html

Thanks for that i had never heard of fast track!

I've always suspected those lengthy immigration ques are deliberate to get tourists to pay the charge for express. Just another little trick by Thais to extract money from foreigners. Thai tourists whizz through fast enough, I know because I've traveled with Thai wife and she was through in 10 minutes and I was like 45 minutes. You'd think they'd be some sort of international airport authority to check into this kind of bullshit and put a stop to it.

You'd think they'd be some sort of international airport authority to check into this kind of bullshit and put a stop to it.

They bribe them as well ...

I've been told early mornings are worse. When I saw my Thai GF off a few weeks ago she was checking in at 7AM and there was a hell of a que.

Thanks for the fast track info. I had never heard of it before either. We leave about 8am and in the past I have never had to wait too awfully long in line. And now with a Thai wife I always go with her in the Thai line to get through quicker. But I'll keep an ear out for any other problems. I did see a note in the BKK Post the other day about the airport authority wanting more immigration officers as they lines were too long and slow.

15-20 minutes last Wednesday night at Phuket FWIW... Checking the bag in was a good deal longer though, close to an hour. Who knows what they were doing at Silk Air.

Red

"Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all." - Dean Martin

I also fly every month and the longest I have waited in immigration is just under one hour. Probably closer to the 45 minutes mentioned by the other poster.

It is an international flight - be there 3 hours before the flight as suggested by the airlines and you will always have time.

I fly into or out of Thailand every 4 weeks. I had one time where the wait was about 45 minutes. Most of the time it is 20 minutes or less.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

45 minutes seems to be a standard waiting time that crops up regular in this thread and other conversations. So maybe those tales of 2-3 hours are exaggerated or aberrations. Still 45 minutes is hardly acceptable. The Thais have already admitted they need more immigration officers on duty. So clearly there is a problem.

11 trips in almost 2 years, from 5 minutes to about a hour, mostly on the shorter

side.

3 different flights, arriving about 11:35am still made the noon Bell travel bus. This was low season

not high season.

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

11 trips in almost 2 years, from 5 minutes to about a hour, mostly on the shorter

side.

3 different flights, arriving about 11:35am still made the noon Bell travel bus. This was low season

not high season.

The long waits seem to be at departures not arrivals. On average I wait 3-5 minutes for arrival; but had to stand in long ques to depart.

The Thais have already admitted they need more immigration officers on duty. So clearly there is a problem.

They should also admit they are very slow and do stupid unecessary things on departure. In my country, it never takes more than 20 second max per passenger (5 seconds for residents). In BKK, it's about 2 minutes per person (or more). What are they fucking doing with our passport?... Typing things, recording names, taking pictures... just useless imo.

Edited by jojomecanic

Last time I flew out of Suvarnabhumi at 08.20am I got to the airport around 6.00am not knowing the situation and gave myself the normal 2 and a half hours as recommended else where. I got to the airport and was one of the last to check-in and I then went and had a cup of coffee and went to make my way through security and through passport control. I was stuck there for the guts of 80mins and myself and a few others were getting worried as we also had Etihad boarding cards and it looked like we would miss our flights. The Etihad staff came in and yelled out that they were boarding and that the flight was closing in 10 minutes, myself and the others were given the VIP security pass and we rushed through immigration and had to run from there to the gate to make my flight. I arrived at the gate panting and totally rushed and winded. It was a joke and it was probably the closest I ever came to missing a flight! it was my first time flying out of the Airport as it was also my first time to LOS, so I learned a valuable lesson at Swampy that day, get to the Airport early and get airside asap and don't be messing around in the terminal outside!

Last time I flew out of Suvarnabhumi at 08.20am I got to the airport around 6.00am not knowing the situation and gave myself the normal 2 and a half hours as recommended else where. I got to the airport and was one of the last to check-in and I then went and had a cup of coffee and went to make my way through security and through passport control. I was stuck there for the guts of 80mins and myself and a few others were getting worried as we also had Etihad boarding cards and it looked like we would miss our flights. The Etihad staff came in and yelled out that they were boarding and that the flight was closing in 10 minutes, myself and the others were given the VIP security pass and we rushed through immigration and had to run from there to the gate to make my flight. I arrived at the gate panting and totally rushed and winded. It was a joke and it was probably the closest I ever came to missing a flight! it was my first time flying out of the Airport as it was also my first time to LOS, so I learned a valuable lesson at Swampy that day, get to the Airport early and get airside asap and don't be messing around in the terminal outside!

Same Same... Happens to me once... Almost miss the flight home in my fourth trip because that day was thousands people on the line to the boarding/Customs, Lessons learned, Most times there are a few people in the line, but one day there would be thousands...So in future, i arrive three hours early...

They should also admit they are very slow and do stupid unecessary things on departure. In my country, it never takes more than 20 second max per passenger (5 seconds for residents). In BKK, it's about 2 minutes per person (or more). What are they fucking doing with our passport?... Typing things, recording names, taking pictures... just useless imo.

One time arriving in some Asian country (In think it was japan) the officer looked at my passport photo page for a very long time then he looked up at me for a very long time, then looked at the photo again, then back at me again, then at the photo again, and at me again. I'm thinking - Yes. It's me. I am me. FFS get on with it man. It's me OK.

Thai immigration control has never been very good in dealing with "rush hour syndrome," the heavy use of facilities during certain times of the day. Moreover, in 2010 and part of 2011, one of the two control areas was under renovation, which put an extra burden on the remaining control area. In the recent past, I saw queues at the departure area stretching well beyond the glassed-in area and out into the departure hall itself. Now both control areas are back in use and the queues have diminished, but waiting times, especially for morning and late-afternoon flights, can be daunting.

I hate queuing. If there is a Hell, that's what God will have me doing for eternity.

To avoid the queues at Swampy, I often use a Fast Track service. It's "meet-and-assist," which I really don't need, but it does give you access to the Fast Track immigration lanes. The cost for the one I use is 1,300 baht whether you are arriving or departing. An earlier post in this thread gave links to fast track services.

Using FastTrack, I'm through immigration in five minutes max, usually less. If I don't have checked baggage, I'm good to go. Even if I have checked luggage, I always get a priority tag because of my frequent flyer status, so my bags are among the first down the chute. The 30 minutes or more I save by using FastTrack - not to mention the hassle of standing in a queue that long - are well worth 1,300 baht to me. That said, it's the queues for departure that are usually the worst. Many times on arrival in Thailand, there haven't be queues at all.

I've also heard you can buy FastTrack vouchers (no meet-and-assist) for 1,000 baht at certain travel agents in BKK and Pattaya, but have yet to try that.

A couple of tips if you don't use FastTrack. If one of the departure control areas has queues stretching outside the glassed-in area, try the other. It's seldom both areas will be equally busy at the same time. Also, avoid getting in line behind Arabs, Africans, Chinese from mainland China and if you can tell them apart from other farang, Russians. Chinese and Russians never have the arrival/departure cards filled in properly and seldom speak English, so they always take longer to get through Immigration.

Thai immigration officers scrutinize the travel documents of Arabs and especially Africans very carefully, which causes big delays. I imagine Iranians are also getting heavy-duty checks these days. It takes at least triple the amount of time for Africans and Arabs/Iranians to clear immigration control compared with plain-vanilla farang, so you can be in for a long wait if you're behind several of them.

Also, if you're married to a Thai and are traveling with her, you can use the lines for Thai passport holders. It even works when you're not married. My TGF would tell the immigration officer we were married and we were never asked for proof.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg