Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Pattaya: From sin city to green paradise? in 10 Years

Taxicabber

I doubt they'll ever make Pattaya a "Green Paradise" and lots of the money (if it's obtained) will be wasted and filtered off. But there's no getting away that Pattaya is changing and many further changes will take place over the coming years. I can see an end to the favorite mongering places in the downtown area, eventually BR, Soi 6 and other small bar sois, will be replaced with new buildings. WS will remain as it's a big tourist attraction. Over the other side of Sukhumvit will open up more as the destination for mongers & boozers.

They attempted to convert Las Vegas from a sin city to family city and it failed. All they are going to accomplish here is lowering the

quality of life in Pattaya with their bullshit construction projects . And creating a miserable environment for the working girls and their

customers as well as for the so called family tourists - while they last. I have nothing but negative expectations for this fantasy.

As a side note the Beach rd freelancer scene is become a workplace problem for the girls since the police are raiding the beach walk

regularly. I just talked with a girl who has been working there off and on for the past 7 years and she , like alot of her friends are "going home "

because it is "no good now " She said the main problem is all the police raids and the major increase in amphetamines in Pattaya.

Having said all this : Until Thailand changes from a feudal economy to one like South Korea, Their is always going to be a flood

of poor young women to Pattaya.

Edited by sss

Someone hasn't done a real economical model. Bulk charter tourists provide little benefit. They tend to stay, eat and shop in places owned by their own people. And the money is paid before they leave. The japs did this in Australia. The tourists like us tend to buy at small cafes, bars, markets, 7-11s etc. Plus our little shopping vouchers we give to the girls.We punch above our weight as tourist spenders as we actually stimulate the economy. Not to mention stuff like dentistry, pharmaceuticals and the rubbish from street vendors. If they are not careful there will be 30000 tourists sitting around beach road thinking. "What the fuck do I do now" because sure as shit the vendors and bars won't hang around there just to haggle with russians and indians.

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

They attempted to convert Las Vegas from a sin city to family city and it failed. All they are going to accomplish here is lowering the

quality of life in Pattaya with their bullshit construction projects . And creating a miserable environment for the working girls and their

customers as well as for the so called family tourists - while they last. I have nothing but negative expectations for this fantasy.

As a side note the Beach rd freelancer scene is become a workplace problem for the girls since the police are raiding the beach walk

regularly. I just talked with a girl who has been working there off and on for the past 7 years and she , like alot of her friends are "going home "

because it is "no good now " She said the main problem is all the police raids and the major increase in amphetamines in Pattaya.

Having said all this : Until Thailand changes from a feudal economy to one like South Korea, Their is always going to be a flood

of poor young women to Pattaya.

The gov and city planners don't take BR prostitutes and their customers into consideration when making their big plans.

Yes, there will - for many years to come - be a flood of poor young women, but they will not be operating on the prime real estate. They'll be found over the other side of Sukhumvit, you can see this slowly happening already. I bet in 10 years from now this forum will be almost entirely discussing going ons over the other side.

They attempted to convert Las Vegas from a sin city to family city and it failed.

However, in Thailand, they tried to convert Hat Yai from monger destination to family destination and it worked well. The overt promotion of service girls was hammered - the options offered were go low-key or relocate 40 minutes down the road to Dannok - and the city was heavily promoted as a family destination. The end result was that they now get the best of both worlds (and the cash that goes with it); families (mainly) in Hat Yai and mongers in Dannok. There's no reason to think that Pattaya will be any different - the families taking over the main area and mongers moving elsewhere. Win, win situation.

However, in Thailand, they tried to convert Hat Yai from monger destination to family destination and it worked well. The overt promotion of service girls was hammered - the options offered were go low-key or relocate 40 minutes down the road to Dannok - and the city was heavily promoted as a family destination. The end result was that they now get the best of both worlds (and the cash that goes with it); families (mainly) in Hat Yai and mongers in Dannok. There's no reason to think that Pattaya will be any different - the families taking over the main area and mongers moving elsewhere. Win, win situation.

Interesting post filibuster. I know HatYai well. To me it always seemed that the nightlife and sex industry there was aimed almost entirely at Malaysians & S'Poreans. Apart from backpackers passing through on their way to other destinations, plus a handful of resident farang, it seemed to me very little was there for westerners. Is this still the case or has the scene changed in recent years?

I'm not familiar with Dannok but have heard the name. Where about is it and do you mind describing a bit what it's like and what goes on there?

How about Songkhla? Has the bar scene increased or decreased there?

Personally I can not see it working. If I were taking my familly for a holiday it would most certainly not be in Pattaya. I live in Pattaya and will not take my daughter to play on the beach, it is probably one of the worst beaches I have ever seen. The sand is dirty, the water is dirty and you are constantly harrased. I think first the authorities need to concentrate on cleaning up the basics before wasting vast sums of money on grand projects that most locals and tourists seem to not want, Here are a few points that would start to make me think they are really serious about turning the place into a familly resort.

1) Doing something about traffic congestion and the polution that go's with it.

2) repairing all the holes etc in pavements so people can walk around safely.

3) De clutter the pavements.

4) Make it safe for people to cross the roads.

5) Provide pavements in all locations in the city.

6) Do something to tackle the soaring crime levels.

7) Get rid of the thousands of stray dogs.

I could carry on. maybe some of the people planning these great schemes could visit some tourists resorts around the world to see what is on offer to families in other places, and they have many many years of work ahead of them to get even close to providing the same in Pattaya.

Over the years I have been coming here I have never met one person who came here to sit on the white tropical sand and admire the city's stunning architecture.

Personally I can not see it working. If I were taking my familly for a holiday it would most certainly not be in Pattaya. I live in Pattaya and will not take my daughter to play on the beach, it is probably one of the worst beaches I have ever seen. The sand is dirty, the water is dirty and you are constantly harrased. I think first the authorities need to concentrate on cleaning up the basics before wasting vast sums of money on grand projects that most locals and tourists seem to not want, Here are a few points that would start to make me think they are really serious about turning the place into a familly resort.

1) Doing something about traffic congestion and the polution that go's with it.

2) repairing all the holes etc in pavements so people can walk around safely.

3) De clutter the pavements.

4) Make it safe for people to cross the roads.

5) Provide pavements in all locations in the city.

6) Do something to tackle the soaring crime levels.

7) Get rid of the thousands of stray dogs.

I could carry on. maybe some of the people planning these great schemes could visit some tourists resorts around the world to see what is on offer to families in other places, and they have many many years of work ahead of them to get even close to providing the same in Pattaya.

Over the years I have been coming here I have never met one person who came here to sit on the white tropical sand and admire the city's stunning architecture.

Well what you say here is applicable to the entire nation, from the Mehkong river to the Malaysian border there are problems with traffic & pollution & stray dogs & crime. So what you're proposing is totally changing Thailand?

Well what you say here is applicable to the entire nation, from the Mehkong river to the Malaysian border there are problems with traffic & pollution & stray dogs & crime. So what you're proposing is totally changing Thailand?

Not at all.

Simply saying that the vision some seem to have for the future of Pattaya, is in my mind unlikely to happen. and the way things are being approached make it even less likely.

I dont care if they like it or not, but many people come here for the bars and nightlife, as I did in the past. Had it not been for that I dare say myself and many thousand others wouldn't have come here at all.

I must also disagree with your comment. I have visited countless places in Thailand that offer a far better environment than Pattaya for a familly holiday, some without having to travel very far.