I have had a brief exposure while I was in pattaya when the condom broke. The HIV status of the girl has not been confirmed. Soon after the exposure I noticed a bump in my lower lip that I went and got checked out and was told it was a mucocele or a mucous cyst. I have never had A cyst in my life let alone one in my mouth. I have been using antibiotics and kenalog for a week With no results thus far. Could this indicate possible HIV infection? I have also had a mosquito bite that got infected on my leg, which has never happened before either. I did the HIV rapid test at 8 weeks and now wondering if I should do the 3 month one based on these symptoms. Is the rapid test accurate? Should I just move on?

No good me saying the chances of having it are zilch as you worried and fretting but bet you a Thousand quid it nothing and Mozzy bite etc is not connectedsee your own Doc or Sexual Health. Nurse you b fine

yes you should have a test ASAP....... there usually is a 3 month window period for a result....please keep us updated.

Edited by badboybilly

Rapid tests are quite good these days. But, I would recommend going for complete blood test. Also perform other tests. We have Melbourne Sexual Health Centre In Melbourne and you can all exams done for free anonymously. I am sure there will be something equivalent in other cities too. Go there and get your doubts cleared.

All the best.

where are you Chris

So you guys think I have a real risk and should get tested? Because I was planning to move on with my life and stop worrying after I was told an 8 week negative will not change. I haven't had any new symptoms in these last 4 weeks.

i doubt it..................but to be sure to sure have a teat after 4 months...........i would stop worrying................i have never had a HIV test and have been fucked up my ass many times.

Haha no worries thanks for ur help everyone I just ordered an oraquick advance online and will update u to any developments :)

Whenever possible get the gal for a fast hiv check asap and save yourself months of stress. Last time I had a slip up I went to the bar the following evening and BF the gal and told her we're going out to dinner, then while walking to the restaurant I casually brought up the subject of hiv testing and how I planned on BF her on a regular basis and would like to check her blood just to be happy, and then blow me down we just happened to walk past the door of a fast hiv test clinic so I gave her a 45 degree turn straight through the door and had her sitting at the doc's desk before she knew what hit her. The fast test result was NEG. and I was happy about that. I realize even that is not 1 million percent safe & certain but it's near enough for me.

Go see a doctor, one that is familiar in dealing with STD's. Some general practice doctors are bloody useless.

There are a few different tests you can do with differing levels of sensitivity. However if you are testing negative at 8 weeks the chances are now tiny that you will seroconvert later. The old advice that you have to wait 3-6 months for an accurate test is generally out of date - with modern 4th generation tests they can detect the beginnings of seroconversion within a couple of weeks. However you should still get tested at 3 and 6 months just to be sure because in some extremely rare outlier conditions you can seroconvert within this time. If you test negative at 6 months then you are in the clear.

I wouldn't get too stressed out - you had a potential exposure, not a confirmed exposure with someone that you know has HIV. You tested negative at 8 weeks, and the probability of transmission from any one sex act (as long as it wasn't anal) is very very low anyway. But go see a doctor and get yourself tested again, both for your own peace of mind and to protect your future partners.

If you are in Bangkok I would advise going to Bumrungrad and getting both the antigen/antibody test and the DNA/RNA test. It costs about $160 but it's the most professional and trustworthy service in BKK.

Good luck to you!

Have the three month test just to put your mind at ease! but I agree with GM that the chances of it being HIV are next to none!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone just tested again at 3 months 2 days and was all good. Thanks for the support during a rough time

Nuff Said.

Was like you, broke some condoms on my first trip to LOS (BYO) Spun out, for no good reason, though not to belittle the safe sex thing.

Religiously - use condoms.

About the lip cyst, have had a few mates, plus me, notice this same occurrence.

Could be eating hot food?