IGNORED

Emirates or Qatar airlines?

TxTraveler

I'm planning a trip in late May from Houston to BKK and my question is which airline would you prefer?

Both airlines get to BKK in the morning and both have short layovers.

I want to take one of these two airlines because they have a direct flight from Houston to Dubai or Doha and then direct to BKK. I'm taking my golf clubs and the less connections that I have the less the chances are the airlines will lose or damage my clubs.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions.

LJ

ive only been with emirates before but they were very good i thought,quick connection at dubai then onto bkk.

I have flown A LOT and Qatar airlines is the best airline I have ever flown on BAR NONE, they have won so many awards.

All i have to say is I pay more just to fly on Qatar airlines, it is that good. I hear that Emirates are nice, but I always fly Qatar so Emirates never gets my business

I have flown Emirates before and will be flying with Emirates again in a couple of months time (got a good price)

However my last trip i flew Qatar (1st time) and it was a great experience, would highly recomend them......

In answer to your question......I can recomend both airlines , whichever you choose you will have a great trip....

Qatar are far superior in all aspects of the flight, the airport in Doha is more user friendly than Dubai, And indeed I believe Qatar give a little extra legroom on the seats. I have flown with both airlines, but more so with Emirates due to logistical reasons such as picking up the flight at my local airport rather than a long treck to London, short connection times etc.

If Qatar had flight options that offered me the same convenience I would chose them every time even if the cost was greater.

Be aware that Emirates go 10 abreast on their 777's whereas Qatar have to maintain the standard 9 abreast, to maintain their 5 star rating.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and opinions.

It looks like I will not go wrong on either one of these airlines.

Personally I would fly Emirates but I am bias... these reviews might help you make up your mind.

http://www.airlinequ...Forum/emrts.htm

http://www.airlinequ...Forum/qatar.htm

7-Eleven,

Thanks for the links. Although I don't fly with either airline mentioned as I like to get direct flights I found it interesting to read up on the various pros and cons of the company I fly with. The section on Seat comfort etc will make booking an airline with comfortable seats much easier on future flights.

Cheers

PV

Pattayavirgins first Trip:http://www.pattaya-a...s-patts-cherry/

Pattayavirgins second Trip: http://www.pattaya-a...-to-21st-march/

I always fly emirates from Newcastle, they are top notch in my opinion best airline company iv flown with, never flown with Qatar before since they don't fly from newcastle

I have flown both, I would choose Qatar over Emirates, purely because Qatar flights tend to have less customers, therefore more room for me.

Every Emirates flight I have been on, has been packed to the rafters.

The best engine in the world is the vagina. It can be started with one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And changes its own oil every four weeks. It is only a pity that the management system is so fucking temperamental.

I have flown both airlines to Thailand. I prefer Emirates over Qatar. Qatar will probably be a few dollars cheaper but Dubai's economy class is some airlines business class, Terminal 3 in Dubai is beautiful and a really great terminal. Also Emirates has the best inflight entertainment of any flight I have ever been on. To be honest though you couldn't go wrong with either airline but I recommend Emirates. I have never lost a bag with them.

formerly HighRoller17

I have flown both airlines to Thailand. I prefer Emirates over Qatar. Qatar will probably be a few dollars cheaper but Dubai's economy class is some airlines business class, Terminal 3 in Dubai is beautiful and a really great terminal. Also Emirates has the best inflight entertainment of any flight I have ever been on. To be honest though you couldn't go wrong with either airline but I recommend Emirates. I have never lost a bag with them.

Emirates (and Etihad) is a 4 * (as opposed to 5*) airline with Skytrax for one reason - the economy class layout (3-4-3) on its 777s is shit. It is a typical charter configuration and certainly not comparable to any major carrier's biz class. If you are guaranteed travel on the A380s, it's a different ballgame. Much the same can be said for its biz class. 15-16 hours to/from IAH like that would have you contemplating suicide if the flight was anywhere near full.

Edited by filibuster

Both are top notch compared to EU and US carriers. But I do think Emirates is a bit overrated.. Also QR will probably get you to BKK cheaper.

Doha really sucks compared to DXB, but if you have short layover doesnt matter..

Emirates (and Etihad) is a 4 * (as opposed to 5*) airline with Skytrax for one reason - the economy class layout (3-4-3) on its 777s is shit. It is a typical charter configuration and certainly not comparable to any major carrier's biz class. If you are guaranteed travel on the A380s, it's a different ballgame. Much the same can be said for its biz class. 15-16 hours to/from IAH like that would have you contemplating suicide if the flight was anywhere near full.

When is the last time you was on the flight from Houston to Dubai? Unless they have gotten worse over the 6 months that flight is only about 14 hours and while still long it was one of the most comfortable flight I have had. After arriving in Dubai and leaving again for Bangkok it is only about a 6 hour flight. All together it is only about 20 hours fly time not counting your wait time of course. I would take Emirates over any US or European airline and I have flown several different ones. The key factor I think for the OP will be the price, as I do know that Qatar will be a little bit cheaper. I have flown Qatar's business class and Emirates economy class is far superior to their business class.

Both are top notch compared to EU and US carriers. But I do think Emirates is a bit overrated.. Also QR will probably get you to BKK cheaper.

Doha really sucks compared to DXB, but if you have short layover doesnt matter..

I agree with you as well celticfist, Emirates could very well be overrated but just like you said it is far better than any US or European airline. When I flew business class with Qatar they bussed us into a completely seperate terminal than the regular passengers and then brought us back out to our flight by bus. Their business class terminal sucked also, and since that flight I have not flown with them anymore. I am interested to hear what the OP decides and wonder what his opinion is. He really can't go wrong with either airline.

Also to the OP have a safe trip, I will be in Pattaya in May but I will probably be gone before you get there, leaving on the 25th.

formerly HighRoller17

When is the last time you was on the flight from Houston to Dubai?

Does it matter? They don't have special planes that only fly IAH-DXB.

Unless they have gotten worse over the 6 months that flight is only about 14 hours

It can be almost 16 hours on the westabout leg i.e. DXB-IAH.

and while still long it was one of the most comfortable flight I have had.

That says more about you than it does Emirates' aircraft seating plans.

I would take Emirates over any US or European airline and I have flown several different ones.

You may do just that. However, the OP didn't ask about US or European carriers, only Emirates v Qatar.

The key factor I think for the OP will be the price, as I do know that Qatar will be a little bit cheaper. I have flown Qatar's business class and Emirates economy class is far superior to their business class.

I'm sure Emirates 10 abreast seating in its 777 economy class sections is far superior to Qatar's 6 across flat-beds in its biz class. Statements like that, don't do much for your credibility.

I'm planning a trip in late May from Houston to BKK and my question is which airline would you prefer?

Both airlines get to BKK in the morning and both have short layovers.

I want to take one of these two airlines because they have a direct flight from Houston to Dubai or Doha and then direct to BKK. I'm taking my golf clubs and the less connections that I have the less the chances are the airlines will lose or damage my clubs.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions.

LJ

Well for me has to be Qatar in Biz and Cattle Class. Use Emirates many time over the years and even was a regular Silver but the last Five Years they have gone down hill IMO and lost more Bloody Bags with them than any other Airline.

When I say lost they have turned up days later, and again IMO I think they never give priority to bags when changing Planes more keen to get the Punters on and up and away, sending bags at later date as no penalty's for missed slots.

I guess it will boil down to Class or Travel and Fare but for the last Three Years I stopped with Emirates unless I really have to.

Also if you are a FF worth seeing whom matches up best with your program

Does it matter? They don't have special planes that only fly IAH-DXB.

It can be almost 16 hours on the westabout leg i.e. DXB-IAH.

That says more about you than it does Emirates' aircraft seating plans.

You may do just that. However, the OP didn't ask about US or European carriers, only Emirates v Qatar.

I'm sure Emirates 10 abreast seating in its 777 economy class sections is far superior to Qatar's 6 across flat-beds in its biz class. Statements like that, don't do much for your credibility.

To answer your question about does it matter, YES it fucking matters. Based just on your name you are going off of straight bullshit that someone else has told you other wise you could mention the last time you flew from IAH to DXB or vice versa. The plane that flies the IAH to DXB is always a 777 which is nothing special.

Ok you was right about a 16 hour flight from DXB to IAH but flying with Qatar would put that same flight at about 15 hours as they are an hour behind Dubai in time zone. Also I am no small guy by any means, 6ft 3in and 270 pounds so for me to claim that I was comfortable in a flight on Emirates for 14 hours does have some creditability. Also I never compared it to a US or European airline I only stated that both Emirates and Qatar was better than any of those. You was the one that mentioned Skytrax first. The OP did only mention Emirates Vs. Qatar in which case I would go with Emirates over Qatar any day. Also that is just my opinion if you don't like it then don't fucking read it.

When I compared the business class I was not comparing Business class to Business class. The reason I feel it is far superior on Emirates has nothing to do with the seating which you seem to have a fucking problem with because you always mention it, and if that is your only complaint so just shut up we already know it is 3-4-3 :Blah2: . I was treated far superior on Emirates in economy class vs. Qatar's Business class, I also didn't like that we had to board a bus to get to the terminal and we couldn't simply just walk on to the plane. As far as my creditability how much traveling do you do? It probably isn't that much since all you are worried about is the seating layout which no one else has said anything about you. Everyone else that has posted and had honest feed back of their experiences and that is all I was trying to do. In the end it is the OP's decision and I know that no matter what airline he chooses he will have a good flight. :Bye5: :Bye5: I won't be posting on this thread anymore so that fillibuster can get his panties out the crack of his ass.

formerly HighRoller17

When is the last time you was on the flight from Houston to Dubai? Unless they have gotten worse over the 6 months that flight is only about 14 hours and while still long it was one of the most comfortable flight I have had. After arriving in Dubai and leaving again for Bangkok it is only about a 6 hour flight. All together it is only about 20 hours fly time not counting your wait time of course. I would take Emirates over any US or European airline and I have flown several different ones. The key factor I think for the OP will be the price, as I do know that Qatar will be a little bit cheaper. I have flown Qatar's business class and Emirates economy class is far superior to their business class.

I agree with you as well celticfist, Emirates could very well be overrated but just like you said it is far better than any US or European airline. When I flew business class with Qatar they bussed us into a completely seperate terminal than the regular passengers and then brought us back out to our flight by bus. Their business class terminal sucked also, and since that flight I have not flown with them anymore. I am interested to hear what the OP decides and wonder what his opinion is. He really can't go wrong with either airline.

Also to the OP have a safe trip, I will be in Pattaya in May but I will probably be gone before you get there, leaving on the 25th.

Correct me if i am wrong but having flown from Manchester in both J and Y with Qatar and Emirates are you saying that Emirates economy is better than Qatar business ??

Or have i got this wrong ???

Having flown economy and business with both airlines I have to say that in my opiniion Qatar are far superior at Both levels. My last business class flight with Emirates (and it will be the last) on a 2 leg flight from bhx - doh - bkk, as explained to me when I complained because I selected a seat towards the back of the cabin there was no choice of meal on either flight, the meal I ended up with was disgusting. Wine was served after I had finished eating and they were clering away my tray before giving me the sweet course, I could go on. Quite simply the on board service was appaling, and in my mind unacceptable for the fare I paid. With Qatar quite the reverse, no complaints at all.

The only good thing I have to say about Emirates is their on board entertainment system is the best I have seen. Other than that I fail to see what they offer over and above any other airline.

Edited by lordarunotai

Correct me if i am wrong but having flown from Manchester in both J and Y with Qatar and Emirates are you saying that Emirates economy is better than Qatar business ??

Or have i got this wrong ???

I am not saying that Qatar business is worse than Emirates economy. All I was saying was that based on my experience Emirates was far superior when I was in economy versus Qatar's business class. It is also juat a matter of my opinion and I am quite sure that everyone on every airl line will have a different opinion. I fly in and out of Dubai on Emirates, one reason for flying with Emirates over Qatat is that I can leave DXB at 11pm and be in Thailand at 0830 and if I flew Qatar I would have to fly to Doha and then wait there for my connecting flight and then get on a direct flight to BKK and be there at about 8pm. Both are great airlines and you can't go wrong with either one of them. I just prefer Emirates over Qatar airlines.

formerly HighRoller17

I am not saying that Qatar business is worse than Emirates economy. All I was saying was that based on my experience Emirates was far superior when I was in economy versus Qatar's business class.

LOL. 'I am not saying that Qatar business is worse than Emirates economy, just that Emirates economy is superior to Qatar's business class.' :Think1:

Why not compare Emirates' economy to Qatar's economy class, or can we assume that you have never flown in Qatar's economy class? Or, alternatively, compare their business class products (EK's 2-3-2 v QR's 2-2-2). Don't rely on my word though, some other folk have gone to a lot of trouble to compare them ...

Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 14.29.22.png

I fly in and out of Dubai on Emirates, one reason for flying with Emirates over Qatat is that I can leave DXB at 11pm and be in Thailand at 0830 and if I flew Qatar I would have to fly to Doha and then wait there for my connecting flight and then get on a direct flight to BKK and be there at about 8pm.

Flying from IAH with Qatar involves less than 2 hours transit in Doha and arrives in BKK at 7 a.m. That's what is relevant to the OP.

Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 14.09.53.png

Edited by filibuster

LOL. 'I am not saying that Qatar business is worse than Emirates economy, just that Emirates economy is superior to Qatar's business class.' :Think1:

Why not compare Emirates' economy to Qatar's economy class, or can we assume that you have never flown in Qatar's economy class? Or, alternatively, compare their business class products (EK's 2-3-2 v QR's 2-2-2). Don't rely on my word though, some other folk have gone to a lot of trouble to compare them ...

Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 14.29.22.png

Flying from IAH with Qatar involves less than 2 hours transit in Doha and arrives in BKK at 7 a.m. That's what is relevant to the OP.

Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 14.09.53.png

If you read my comment correctly you would see that I was referring to flying in and out of Dubai not from Houston. I have never looked up a flight from Houston to Bangkok as I have no need to since I live and work in Afghanistan and fly out of Dubai. Also to answer your question about whether or not I have flown Qatar's economy class is that your assumpiton would be correct I have not flown their economy class which is why I didn't compare economy to economy class. Also if you would have read my last reply you would have saw where I better explained why I feel that Emirates economy is better than Qatar's business class. Also it is just a matter of my opinion and nothing more feel free to agree or disagree all you want, it won't change my opinion at all. I will say though that since your pic above of seat reviews has Thai airways listed, I personally would prefer to fly Thai Airways all the time as I have enjoyed every flight I have been on with them. Always from Bangkok to Dubai I have never had a full round trip with Thai Airways it has always been Emirates to BKK and then Thai Airways back to DXB. Just out of curiosity I noticed that Emirates was not listed on the seat review in the top 10 where are they ranked? Again I am just curious about that because it doesn't matter to me because personally I enjoy flying Emirates and I won't change my opinion.

formerly HighRoller17

If you read my comment correctly you would see that I was referring to flying in and out of Dubai not from Houston. I have never looked up a flight from Houston to Bangkok as I have no need to since I live and work in Afghanistan and fly out of Dubai. Also to answer your question about whether or not I have flown Qatar's economy class is that your assumpiton would be correct I have not flown their economy class which is why I didn't compare economy to economy class. Also if you would have read my last reply you would have saw where I better explained why I feel that Emirates economy is better than Qatar's business class. Also it is just a matter of my opinion and nothing more feel free to agree or disagree all you want, it won't change my opinion at all. I will say though that since your pic above of seat reviews has Thai airways listed, I personally would prefer to fly Thai Airways all the time as I have enjoyed every flight I have been on with them. Always from Bangkok to Dubai I have never had a full round trip with Thai Airways it has always been Emirates to BKK and then Thai Airways back to DXB. Just out of curiosity I noticed that Emirates was not listed on the seat review in the top 10 where are they ranked? Again I am just curious about that because it doesn't matter to me because personally I enjoy flying Emirates and I won't change my opinion.

Follow this link and you will see how customers review Emirates economy !

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/Yseat-EK.htm