IGNORED

Thai bank account at end of your holiday..

poolieblue

Im back in Pattaya soon and thinking of opening a Thai bank account just to put my holiday money in so its safe and I can draw out every other day what I need.

Now lets say I depost 3000 pounds for example and the day before I go home Ive only spent 2500.....so 500 pounds left. I wont be back for another six months so I leave afew pounds in (say 20 pounds ie. 1000 baht) to keep account open and take the rest back home.....having to exchange it when I get back home.

Question is .........is this the best way to do it. Advise appreciated

Yes leave a small amount in your bank account so it stays open ( i normally leave about 100 bht)

If you leave more than 1000 bht in your account you will waive the annual 200bht account keeping fee from the bank.

There is also a withdraw limit per day 20,000 Baht

So if your going to take it home start withdrawing a few days before you go home

If you have changed your money into Baht and want to convert it back do it before you leave Thailand as you will get a better rate.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Leave enough to keep acct current , aprox 1000-2000B check with

your bank as to the proper amount to leave.

I leave upwards of 10Kb so I know when I hit BKK a simple stop at

a ATM and I have enough cash for the first couple of days.

Just what I do, "up to you"

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

One final note, treat a Thai Bank ATM card as you would a CC or debit card at home.

While you need a pin and the card to get CASH, the card can be used MANY places

just like a CC, that means the card can be used to buy most anything, and all that is

needed is a signature at the point of sale, no other ID needed.

I boughjt a TV and some stuff for my condo, about 9,000B and all that was needed was

my sig, no id check, nada...........Walked right out the door of Tesco/Lotus here in Patts.

Or leave it there for next time and save on currency exchange fees.

+1 Agree with this. If you can survive without the money & you are planning to return, just leave the leftover in your account & adjust accordingly on your next trip, You will even earn some interest on your balance. :)

Leave enough to keep acct current , aprox 1000-2000B check with

your bank as to the proper amount to leave.

I leave upwards of 10Kb so I know when I hit BKK a simple stop at

a ATM and I have enough cash for the first couple of days.

Just what I do, "up to you"

+1 I do the same. It's comforting to know that I have ample funds available on the first night, before I am able to make a deposit into my Thai Bank account the next day.

Yes leave a small amount in your bank account so it stays open ( i normally leave about 100 bht)

If you leave more than 1000 bht in your account you will waive the annual 200bht account keeping fee from the bank.

There is also a withdraw limit per day 20,000 Baht

So if your going to take it home start withdrawing a few days before you go home

This is the standard ATM withdrawal maximum set up when you open the account - it is however easy to remove, just ask.

It applies to ATM only, you can take out as much as you want if you go into the bank itself.

When removed you can still only take out 20,000 per ATM transaction but can do 5 transactions (for example) of 20,000 each one after another.

If you DO request the limit be removed please remember that the 20k limit is there for your PROTECTION - if you remove the limit, that protection is lost.

EDIT - I bank with SCB and BB who will remove these limits. I cannot actually speak for other banks but would asume they are the same.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I left quite a bit on my account and since I could not get internet banking I can not check and see if its still there, gives me a bit of a headache actually.

But, I only used the card in two ATMs, one outside VT2 and that one has a guard (trustworthy?) and one a bit further down second street in Jomtien where there is also a small bankoffice. I figure that if I stay away from shadylooking ATMs and never use the card to pay directly I should be somewhat safe from skimming and similar activites.

One individuals freedom ends where another individuals freedom begins.

Some geat advise here lads......many thanks.

One final question........what do I need to open account from hotel (ie address,room number)

passport, something with your hotels addy on it and cell(thai) phone for K-bank

the green one and your email addy too

15-20 minutes and your done

I just took my hotels' business card, which included the address and phone number. I don't recall if they required a room number, but it wouldn't be a problem if they did.

You will also need your passport, a Thai phone number, & your email address. Good Luck!

I finally opened a KBank account (after about 40 trips!) on the January trip. Bloody great. I walked in at opening, it took about an hour, I took passport and just gave the accommodation details/address.

hmmm... i might actually do this when i get there.

just a couple more questions:

20,000 is the limit per day, or can i hit up the ATM a couple times in the same day at 20,000 a pop?

why do they need the hotel/accomodation's address....maybe i'll stay a different place on the next trip??

i'll be spending the first couple of days in BKK, should i wait to open an account in Pattaya?

thanks all

Edited by C-los

This is the standard ATM withdrawal maximum set up when you open the account - it is however easy to remove, just ask.

It applies to ATM only, you can take out as much as you want if you go into the bank itself.

When removed you can still only take out 20,000 per ATM transaction but can do 5 transactions (for example) of 20,000 each one after another.

If you DO request the limit be removed please remember that the 20k limit is there for your PROTECTION - if you remove the limit, that protection is lost.

EDIT - I bank with SCB and BB who will remove these limits. I cannot actually speak for other banks but would asume they are the same.

Interesting point... Even though i have been a member of that bank, SCB, i never knew i can remove that limits but i feel safer with that limits at time being.. Could i remove that limits for a week only ?

Other Note : To the OP, Best leave your money in the bank, you can always come back for it , make sure your next of kin or your trusted person have your pin just in case anything may happen to you or give the envelope with pin inside to the solicitor for the will....

With the bank of Ayudhya (yellow bank) they gave me a Visa ATM card allowing withdrawals of up to 100k baht per day in transactions not exceeding 20k but it's just as easy to withdraw large amounts in the bank itself.

more questions...

do you get the ATM card and set the PIN all in the same visit you open your account?

are ther more yellow banks/ATMs(Ayudhya) than green banks/ATMs(KBank) Along second Road & Naklua?

Or leave it there for next time and save on currency exchange fees.

:Agree1:

That is what I do.

Years ago I have heard the odd story about some bank clerks who steal the money out of your account once they notice the account has not been used for 6 months or so because they feel it is deserted. But never had any issues.

Edited by NINGNING

The difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less.

• 3 weeks later...

more questions...

do you get the ATM card and set the PIN all in the same visit you open your account?

are ther more yellow banks/ATMs(Ayudhya) than green banks/ATMs(KBank) Along second Road & Naklua?

Last year i opened an account at K-bank formerly thai farmers bank, they gave me an account card and pin, the lady advised i change the pin straight away, she even walked outside to set it up at the machine and i entered the new pin.. luckily had a couple thousand baht on me because later that evening i went to withdraw and card not working, was it the pin? phoney card? or had all my funds been stolen? didnt sleep that night and hung around the bank in the morning to see what happened to 100k, what they did'nt tell me was that it takes 12 hours for the card to activate ! Dont put all your funds in the new account keep a few grand back for 1st night of partying..

when going back home leave the money inside, when you are coming back to LOS. Why loose money again with exchange?

I always leave a few K's inside and never had any problem so far!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

Good tips all around thanks everybody.

Which bank is most prolific/accessible around town?

Good tips all around thanks everybody.

Which bank is most prolific/accessible around town?

Kasikorn for sure (the green one) has a main branch on south pattaya rd, central festival (2nd rd/ beach rd) and on pattaya klang (central rd) also many atms outside 7/11s family mart) . Bank of Ayudhaya (yellow banks) are many too but not as popular as Kasikorn

Edited by Mingmarmot

when going back home leave the money inside, when you are coming back to LOS. Why loose money again with exchange?

I always leave a few K's inside and never had any problem so far!

Seconded. I also have a few K's sitting in the LoS waiting for me to return to spread them around to help all those sick buffalos...