Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Good Meal at the Pig & Whistle in Jomtien

Evil Penevil

This isn't a full restaurant review, just a quick note about a good meal. I've only eaten once at the Pig and Whistle in Jomtien, but the meal I had was very nice at a reasonable price, so I thought I'd mention it. I stopped in for lunch Sunday and chose the Special of the Day, which was a choice of roast beef or roast pork, with Yorkshire pudding, roasted or mashed potatoes, peas, carrots, broccoli and gravy. It came with a small link of sausage wrapped in bacon and a small square of bread stuffing. I haven't had much luck with beef in Pattaya, so I went with the roast pork.

post-6485-1329995606.jpg

It wasn't the most attractive plating of food I've seen, but it tasted damn good and that is what is most important. I would have preferred the gravy on the side, although that's no big thing. The meat (five slices) was flavorful and juicy. Unfortunately, the gravy hides the meat in the pic. The veggies were fresh and not over- boiled. The gravy, stuffing, potatoes and Yorkshire pudding were delicious. A very generous portion, too.

It cost 225 baht. A bottle of SML at 75 baht brought me to an even 300 baht, not bad for a big meal of that quality. I may go back this Sunday to try the roast beef.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Looks tasty to me, I was there for breakfast but never for Dinner, will try next time for dinner.... Thanks for Sharing the Pic...

It looks a lot nicer than the Sunday lunch at Robin's Nestaurant. There the beef was tough and the gravy cold.

• 1 month later...

Another good meal at the Pig & Whistle in Jomtien, this time the iconic British dish, fish 'n chips, which also became the world's first "standardized" fast food sold on a large scale.

post-276-0-20959000-1332644405.jpg

Fish 'n chips is a passionate subject for many posters on various boards. I don't claim any expertise when it comes to what is proper or authentic fish 'n chips. There a plenty of P-A members who are better informed in that respect than I am. I can only judge by one standard - how it tasted - and it tasted good to me. It was the daily special at 225 baht. The everyday price for the same meal was 270 baht, according to the menu.

The fish fillet had a great batter - light and deep-fried just long enough to give it the right degree of crispiness. There was no oily taste or texture to it. Inside, the fillet was moist but not watery and flaked nicely. I don't know what kind of fish it was. The menu board said "white fish fillet." When I asked the waitress, she gave me the same answer.

The co-star of the fish 'n chips duo - the chips - weren't quite as good as the headliner fillet. The chips, cut American style, should have been fried a bit longer. I don't know what the standard is for British chips, but in the U.S., real French fries should be given two plunges in the boiling oil. The first round of frying, in oil that isn't too hot, blanches the potato strips to get rid of rawness and reduce water content. A second shorter dip, in much hotter oil, gives the fries their crispy surface and makes them fluffy inside.

The supporting player in the Pig & Whistle's fish 'n chip act - the peas - were very good, as was the extra - homemade tartar sauce. The peas had been boiled just long enough to take away rawness but not their flavor. They weren't overly soft. I prefer malt vinegar on my fish 'n chips, so I only tasted the tartar sauce. It was fine, tangy but not overpowering.

I don't eat fish 'n chips very often, maybe a half dozen times a year, so I won't be rushing back to the P & W for another order. But when I do get a hankering again, the P & W will be on my short-list of acceptable restaurants for fish 'n chips.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

But did they out it on a hot plate? they never do even if you ask, in an air-condition room the food, which is very good, will be cold in a minute.

That's why I stopped going there to eat

But did they out it on a hot plate? they never do even if you ask, in an air-condition room the food, which is very good, will be cold in a minute.

That's why I stopped going there to eat

Hope that A/C is in a good working order.... :GoldenSmile1:

Yup, its brilliant, and so quiet. I woke up with a frost on my bed this morning,lol

Sorry off topic

Yup, its brilliant, and so quiet. I woke up with a frost on my bed this morning,lol

S

Hope that A/C is in a good working order.... :GoldenSmile1:

Sorry off topic

orry off topic