IGNORED

Please help me in Chiang Saen

KRR

My lady has land in Chiang Saen that we want to build a hoe on and I am requesting info/help with the following

1. Anyone know a builder in the area that can construct a modest 3 bed 2 bathroom home European style

2. Anyone know of a good source for home plans

3. I have tried to get a usufruct on the property but the Chiang Saen said that as I was on a tourist visa I could not - so I am looking for alternatives - can I lease without her having to pay taxes ( we are not married yet)

4. Anyone know a reasonable lawyer in the area ((mae Chan or Chiang Rai)

Edited by KRR

My wife is from Chiang Saen , nice area . She hasn't been back for a few years already so can't really help you out .

If only the tourist visa is the problem get an ED ot NON IM O visa or get married before you start building .

Chok dee ,

J .

My lady has land in Chiang Saen that we want to build a hoe on and I am requesting info/help with the following

1. Anyone know a builder in the area that can construct a modest 3 bed 2 bathroom home European style

2. Anyone know of a good source for home plans

3. I have tried to get a usufruct on the property but the Chiang Saen said that as I was on a tourist visa I could not - so I am looking for alternatives - can I lease without her having to pay taxes ( we are not married yet)

4. Anyone know a reasonable lawyer in the area ((mae Chan or Chiang Rai)

With all due respect mate it sounds to me like you're jumping the gun a bit here, you're on a tourist visa and getting into a very expensive area that you know nothing about. My suggestion is just chill a bit, tell GF to slow down, see how the relationship pans out, maybe you want to marry, I'd wait to then before paying for a house.

With all due respect mate it sounds to me like you're jumping the gun a bit here, you're on a tourist visa and getting into a very expensive area that you know nothing about. My suggestion is just chill a bit, tell GF to slow down, see how the relationship pans out, maybe you want to marry, I'd wait to then before paying for a house.

thanks

I will be living between thailand and Australia for a while, thus the lack of rush to get a new visa. Marriage is planned once I sort out the usufruct or alternative out.

My wife is from Chiang Saen , nice area . She hasn't been back for a few years already so can't really help you out .

If only the tourist visa is the problem get an ED ot NON IM O visa or get married before you start building .

Chok dee ,

J .

thanks,

They said I needed a work permit, which is the first thing I heard of that being needed to put on a usufruct

thanks

I will be living between thailand and Australia for a while, thus the lack of rush to get a new visa. Marriage is planned once I sort out the usufruct or alternative out.

A tourist visa pretty much limits you to looking at temples and sitting in bars. If you want to do anything more substantial in Thailand then you have to get on to a higher class of visa - Non-Imm O or B - for working or doing business and other more complex interactions with Thailand & the gov. So you'd be wise to get off the tourist visa fast and get a better status here.

Have you connected with other expats in the region, like Chiang Rai? They'll be many guys in the local expat community who have done what you are planning to do, so these guys will be mines of information and can no doubt recommend builders and point you towards plans.

I'd say it's imperative you use a builder that is recommended to you, there are some terrible stories around of farang being jerked off and cheated blind by bad Thai builders.

I hope this helps you. BTW I went to Chiang Saen once from Lao and I swear it was in North Thailand not the NE....lol

A tourist visa pretty much limits you to looking at temples and sitting in bars. If you want to do anything more substantial in Thailand then you have to get on to a higher class of visa - Non-Imm O or B - for working or doing business and other more complex interactions with Thailand & the gov. So you'd be wise to get off the tourist visa fast and get a better status here.

Have you connected with other expats in the region, like Chiang Rai? They'll be many guys in the local expat community who have done what you are planning to do, so these guys will be mines of information and can no doubt recommend builders and point you towards plans.

I'd say it's imperative you use a builder that is recommended to you, there are some terrible stories around of farang being jerked off and cheated blind by bad Thai builders.

I hope this helps you. BTW I went to Chiang Saen once from Lao and I swear it was in North Thailand not the NE....lol

lol yeh a posting error by me - though it is on the most north eastern point :)

I think I have located a builder through a lawyer that was helping me and I can only hope they are not ripoff merchants. I have given the a fixed price to work to and I will see what they come back with as a breakdown of costs.

lol yeh a posting error by me - though it is on the most north eastern point :)

I think I have located a builder through a lawyer that was helping me and I can only hope they are not ripoff merchants. I have given the a fixed price to work to and I will see what they come back with as a breakdown of costs.

I've seen several threads on this forum by guys who have had houses built in the North & NE. Many were detailed accounts with lots of photos, so it could be a good idea to do a search for these threads and have a look at them, maybe even contact those guys and compare costs, they probably know a couple of the traps you'll need to be aware of. When dealing with Thais you can never "assume" something is understood or will happen; you need to hammer down every single nail.

Don't want to come across like a "prophet of doom" but just because you located a builder through a lawyer doesn't mean squat in Thailand, more than likely the builder is mates with the lawyer and the lawyer will be getting a cutback from the builder. That's how it works here. I personally wouldn't consider a builder unless he came recommended to me through other farang who had used the guy and been 100% satisfied with the outcome.

Check out coolthaihouse.com. There is a melbourne bloke on there called the thaifly from mae rim. Lots of info around that area

Check out coolthaihouse.com. There is a melbourne bloke on there called the thaifly from mae rim. Lots of info around that area

Good site Goanna and just the thing OP needs to look at.

excellent,

thank as

• 2 months later...

Well - just thought I would post my progression thus far (and I know this is in the wrong area - should be NorthThailand)

Found a builder and an architect who did the plans for my west bungalow design. All seems to be progressing well to date - some p]ics of build attached

s2012-03-02-14.07.11.jpg

s2012-03-05-14.08.28.jpg

s2012-03-18-15.12.50.jpg

s2012-03-29-14.53.40.jpg

s2012-04-03-10.43.41.jpg

s2012-04-09-10.59.30.jpg

s2012-04-22-14.17.46.jpg

s2012-04-11-17.31.18.jpg

I w

ill post more at it completes in the next month if anyone is interested

Edited by KRR

looks good keep us posted on progress.also any probs you have along the way cheers good luck

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

Rendering is finished inside and well on the way outside. I am in Oz as my wife visits the site daily and gives me reports.

Selected all the main items like tiles, toilets extractor fans rtc before I came back to Oz to reduce the stress on the wife :)

No real problems to report other than a slip in the completion date by 2 weeks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates but there is really nothing to complain about with this build. ( from my side, the builder is complaining that the will not make much though icon_smile.gif)

My wife gives me bi-daily reports and I have a chat with the builder.

The render is finished as is the ceiling and they are painting inside and out with quality Beger, tiles are being laid, soil (20 truck loads) is being brought in to start the landscape process.

Still cannot get a photo and await the builder to send to me.

Completion date now 30th, an expected slip of 3 weeks

I finally managed to get some shots of the house progression ( rather than just verbal updates from the wife smile.png)

Seems to be progressing really well with only 1 week till completion.

She is very excited - as am I

Photo-0440.jpg

Photo-0441.jpg

Photo-0442.jpg

Photo-0446.jpg

Photo-0448.jpg

Photo-0449.jpg

Photo-0450.jpg

Photo-0451.jpg

Photo-0453.jpg

Photo-0454.jpg